Thread: Where to go?

Default Where to go?

My friends and I arive in Anchorage June 27th Our lodging and guided trips do not start until Sat June 30th Any suggestions as to where to spend a couple of days fishing All are experienced fisherman .
    We are booked out of soldotna

Go to the bookstore and get a copy of The Highway Angler. Much more information in that book than you'll get in responses to this post.

Thank you I will

It depends on what you want to catch and how you wanna catch em and how far you are willing to drive etc.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

we are willing to drive a couple of hours interested in halibut reds and kings

Default go to.............

Heck.....I can give you a couple places. Go to Willow or Little Susitna for Kings. Both rivers are north of Anch about 2 hours. easy to find.
    Go to.....Quartz on your way to Soldotna to try for trout and Grayling (Are there really grayling in Quartz and the other river right there? I only catch rainbows and a couple dollies) Kinda a bear scary place though.
    Go to Seward (2 hours south of anchorage) for Halibut or towards Homer for butts (4 hours or more), that would be deep creek, ninilchik, Anchor point, and Homer.
    Try to fish the Kasilof (south of anchorage between Kenai and Homer about 4 hours) for Kings a the Crooked creek campground.
    Go North to Denali state park and fish Byers lake for lake trout.
    Go North to big lake for Lake trout.
    Go to Eklutna tailrace for kings, but combat fishing and it's kinda an ugly place.
    Go to the Russian River down south but before Soldotna and try for the first run reds.
    Go to seward and maybe get some early reds in Resurrection creek.
    Stay in Anchorage and fish Ship Creek for Kings.
    Go to Whittier and fish for halibut.

Hmmm that is all I can think of off the top of my head. One or more should work for you. Good luck.

Contact Dave Shandy in Ninilchik; he may have an opening for a halibut trip. Doesn't have the shiniest boat or anything like that, but he's a great guy to BS with while you're ridin' out and back, catches fish, and his wife Jeannie is one of the nicest ladies you'll ever meet. Real good folks and good times. I had my doubts the first time we pulled up to their place back in '96, but I don't go with any other charters now.

http://www.shandyscharters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Heck.....I can give you a couple places. Go to Willow or Little Susitna for Kings. Both rivers are north of Anch about 2 hours. easy to find.
    Go to.....Quartz on your way to Soldotna to try for trout and Grayling (Are there really grayling in Quartz and the other river right there? I only catch rainbows and a couple dollies) Kinda a bear scary place though.
    Go to Seward (2 hours south of anchorage) for Halibut or towards Homer for butts (4 hours or more), that would be deep creek, ninilchik, Anchor point, and Homer.
    Try to fish the Kasilof (south of anchorage between Kenai and Homer about 4 hours) for Kings a the Crooked creek campground.
    Go North to Denali state park and fish Byers lake for lake trout.
    Go North to big lake for Lake trout.
    Go to Eklutna tailrace for kings, but combat fishing and it's kinda an ugly place.
    Go to the Russian River down south but before Soldotna and try for the first run reds.
    Go to seward and maybe get some early reds in Resurrection creek.
    Stay in Anchorage and fish Ship Creek for Kings.
    Go to Whittier and fish for halibut.

Hmmm that is all I can think of off the top of my head. One or more should work for you. Good luck.
    I think the Parks Highway streams will be closed during the weekdays at that time, and since their Guided trip starts Saturday, they probably won't want to be on Willow creek at midnight Friday. Haven't looked at the specifics in the reg book for this year yet, just going off what I recall from a couple years back.

You can get reds and Halibut out of Whittier. An hour and ten minutes from Anchorage.
    Give Rich Adventures a call at (907)350-3401. He'll get you out.

Wow thank you for all the info If you were me and this is your first time and we do have charters for halibut and kings set up for the following week and we wanted to try our luck with no guides and we really do not care what we catch just excited to be here where would you go?

The Little Su is open on weekdays for kings during the day time.

Mike, I wasn't kidding with all those places. They are where I fish. Someone mentioned regs, and somene answered, but make sure you read up on what is open and gear restrictions when you buy your liscences.

Keep asking questions and we'll help you out. You can PM any of us and someone will tell you what you are looking for. I do really like the park highway streams (willow, sheep, little su), but man it is combat like you wouldn't believe. At that time of year I think I'd be fishing the russian for reds, and the parks for Kings. I fish Elklutna tailrace a couple times a week, and ship creek almost daily at that time. I fish the parks on the weekend or during the week if I'm sick (cough cough). That is if they are open. Anway we might be overwhelming you but everyone is trying to help. Keep getting more specific on your posts and so will the answers. Tight lines.

You guys are awesome I cannot thank you enough for all the info Have you ever done a raft floaton the Kasilof or Kenai? Can anyone suggest a place to stay ie hotel ,motel in or around Anchorage we will probably stay there for the first three days of our trip

PS catching reds sure does sound good Can we use lightweight spinning outfits? Combat fishing I presume means wall to wall people? we would definitely want to avoid that if at all possible