Thread: Cleaning an Aluminum fuel tank, bad gas

Default Cleaning an Aluminum fuel tank, bad gas

Hello

I have a 45 gallon fuel tank I picked up, basically it was sitting ouside in the elements for about 4 years (gas cap on) and it had about 5 gallons of fuel in it. Mix of fuel/water/oil, kind of a thick consistancy.

Looking for ideas on cleaning it out, did some searching online but most info was for steel tanks. Of course I'll empty it, then clean it out the best I can with new gas. Anything else I should do too? Or just leave it at that?

I've would dump out all the old gas and oil and do a presser test before I did anything else. It could save you a lot of problems in the future.

After its empty take it to the car wash and pressure wash it with strait hot water and then let it dry. Then rince it again with some isopropyl alcohol and you should be good to go. Thats what Iv'e done in the past and had no problems. The car washes have oil water seperator's so no worries to the environment.

Great guys, I'll take both pieces of advise. All this snow has put me on a late start to get the boat finished, hope to wrap it up in April!