Thread: Caribou Anlter Arrow Launcher

Default Caribou Anlter Arrow Launcher

I was visiting with a friend about a pistol crossbow I built for an indoor shoot at a men's retreat this winter. He had an idea about a slingshot arrow launcher. So I started engineering in my mind and first thought was a plywood launcher but thought that a plywood one thin enough to attach the rubber tubes might not hold up to the stress of the heavy duty slingshot rubber tubes. I wanted a hole instead of a V-knotch to keep the arrow from dancing about when you draw hence the hole. I got to thinking that antler should hold up and so this is what I came up with.

It needs some better shelf to stablize the arrow at the rest. I was thinking on a Whisper Biscuit in the hole so if anyone has one they would like to donate to the cause please let me know.

I couldn't get your photos to open... however sounds like you have made yourself an atlatl. Have fun and let us know the results if you hunt with it.

Chris

Default Nice sling/bow/shot

I would guess that this weapon would be officially classified as a bow. A crossbow holds its drawstrength itself, yours appears to not.

What I'm getting at, is that isn't a weapon like this perfectly legal in any bow season?

Nice design job. Do you hook the lanyard from the bottom of the slingshot frame up around your wrist? This would mimic the successful super-powerful slingshot frames on the market for a few years now, and offer up some extra support to keep the frame upright during hold-back.

Again, great job. Show more as you progress!

akgun&ammo, not an atlatl but a slingshot kinda, hole in the antler with slingshot rubber tied to each side via smaller holes. The hole is large enough for the flights of the arrow but too small that I would put a marble in it for fear it would hit the antler and bounce back to my face. I have built an atlatl and dart, very cool and generates some serious shaft speed but needs lots of practice to hit anything.

Family Man, my thoughts might be to have this in the back pack and in the field built a shaft or two for survival. Maybe even just packing the slingshot rubbers and build everthing in the field. Might be a good weekend with the youngins with lessons in just surviving. "Hunger Games"...

Thanks for the feed back. If I get a whistper biscuit for it will post again on accuracy..

George

Interesting idea, but I'd thinkin carrying a wristrocket that you could add or remove a wisker bisquit to would be more flexible. You could use it to launch rocks for small game, or arrows for larger game.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Very cool! I made something like that only just put a split ring on a sling shot tied in the middle with string....I might have to try this
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Nice design job. Do you hook the lanyard from the bottom of the slingshot frame up around your wrist? This would mimic the successful super-powerful slingshot frames on the market for a few years now, and offer up some extra support to keep the frame upright during hold-back.

Again, great job. Show more as you progress!
    yes i had the same question... seems like pulling those bands back would require a lot of wrist strength... good thing we have such a long winter in which to build said wrist muscles

The only obstacle to hunt with it is to get around the draw weight requirements. Looks pretty fun to just get out and play with though.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks folks for the comments. It was a fun project and when I gave it to the guy I built it is smile was worth more than any effort (not much at all). He said that he has had the idea in his head for years and never put it into play.

I wouldn't even think about trying small objects as the window is small and having them come back at me after reflecting off the antler could end a fun outing with blinding (punn) finality...

It needs some redesign of the knock situation but could fit into a back pack as a survival tool and just trim a stick for short range small game...

George