Thread: Birch Tree Tapping

Default Birch Tree Tapping

Saturday,April 21, 2012 1 to 3:00 PM

Palmer Center for Sustainable Living
    (Matanuska Experiment Farm )
    1509 South Georgeson Drive, Palmer

Learn to tap birch trees for sap in this hands-on class.We will show you how to:

Select good trees

Collect sap and cook the sap down for syrup
    The sap is a good spring tonic, too!

Handouts and taps will be provided.
    Wear clothing for going outside. $10.00 per person

I got to ask ... Are outside cloths hard to get in Alaska or do people walk around naked when not tapping trees?

No, plenty of clothes up here. There's always that person who will show up ill prepared for the weather or wearing something they dont want to get dirty, however.

class is:
    Sat, April 20, 10am 3pm
    WhereMatanuska Experiement Farm (map)
    DescriptionBirch Tree Tapping Workshop Saturday, April 20, 2013 10 a.m. to Noon or 1 to 3:00 p.m. (AFTERNOON SESSION IS REPEAT OF MORNING) Workshops will be held at: Palmer Center for Sustainable Living (Matanuska Experiment Farm) 1509 South Georgeson Drive, Palmer Learn to tap birch trees for sap in this hands-on class. We will show you how to: Select good trees, Tap the trees and care for them, Collect sap and cook the sap down for syrup. The sap is a good spring tonic, too! Wear clothing for going outside. $10 per person. Handouts and taps will be provided. Register & pay by April 18: call 745-3360 or register & pay online at: http://tinyurl.com/birchtreetapping Registration Forms are attached SPECIAL ACTIVITIES FOR YOUTH 8 to 14 who come with adult FREE Valerie Barber, Director, UAF Forest Products Program (746-9466, vabarber@alaska.edu) Julie Cascio, Cooperative Extension Service. Health, Home and Family Development (745-3677, jmcascio@alaska.edu)

I would definitely wear clothes outside. I have a hard enough time just getting sap off my arms
    Fly fishing makes me herl