Thread: Whittier Snow Update

Default Whittier Snow Update

Just got a message from a Railroad buddy of mine. He said that the Habormaster parking lot is iced in with 7 inches of solid ice. But the city is working hard to get it cleared right now. He also said that they have recieved over 500 inches of snow and the big pot hole filled gravel makeshift of a parking lot across the tracks has about 3 stories of snow. Doesn't look like that will be cleared any time soon. I'm hoping for warm weather and maybe even a little bit of rain in Whittier over the next couple weeks so it will help clear up the paved lot.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone out there the weekend after the opener.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yikes. We have a splash date set at 27 April. Maybe I need to dig into another house project and plan on a Memorial Day launch instead!

41' of snow? Why didn't I hear about that? sounds like there would be more than seven inches of snow on the parking lot at that rate...

He is probably talking about the Snow removal pile being 3 stories high, Not that they have had 41 feet in snow fall.

Not really concerned about the boat ramps at this point, really focused on my yard and if there is even a boat in it somewhere...

2008 Whittier received 40+ feet of snow. When I sea trialed my boat the third week of April that year the big parking lot had 10+ feet of standing snow. I suspect that it will be about the same towards the end of this April. Traditionally, they have to contract loaders to clear the big parking lot. Last year was an exception. The lot was darn near free of snow in early May.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The good news is there is plenty of filler material to keep the parking lot pot holes plugged for awhile!! They should have the parking lot cleared by Sept 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Not really concerned about the boat ramps at this point, really focused on my yard and if there is even a boat in it somewhere...
    You and me both. Well I guess I don't have to get upset about not making the shrimp opener due to my boat being buried. I'm thinking end of May is more likely for me.

At least the road to the tunnel isn't closed by a landslide
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

You guys are scaring me,I only have the month of May to play then I have to wait for Sept.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    At least the road to the tunnel isn't closed by a landslide
    Donít even suggest such a thing, that occurrence is still fresh in my mind.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Snowfall and Parking

Whittier Snow Fall was over 510 inches thats when I quit checking, all the parking lots are open there is no more parking of oversized vehicles in the Harbor lot, RV's, Trucks and trailers must park at Whispering Falls Lot.
    Last edited by tjb; 04-24-2012 at 17:38. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    Whittier Snow Fall was over 510 inches thats when I quit checking, all the parking lots are open there is no more parking of oversized vehicles in the Harbor lot, RV's, Trucks and trailers must park at Whispering Falls Lot.
    Valdez gets all the press about huge snow falls but I think Whittier comes close and if you go out to Cochrane Three Finger area, it's even more. I remember the first year I left my boat in the water over the winter we had 9' in 4 days in March. That was the year the "giant trash compactor ruins summer dreams" made headlines. The old Army storage building rood came down and of course, the Army being what it is, made hell for stout concrete walls so the roof flatened 2 stories of boats stored inside. No insurance either.