Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Lee Loader.

At the last Gum Show, I buyed myself a Lee Loader.

This was to replace the one I had for my 357 Magnum many long yars ago. Back then, they cost $9.95 brand spankin New.

It was used, but everything was there, and when I got it home, I loaded ONE cartridge, which shot just fyne.

That was all I had to handload my 357 with for a lotta years. I had to read the instructions to figger it out, and I dug out the plastic hammer I used before.

I need to max out 180 grain cast bullets, for my 357 Mag. RIFLE.

It's unlikely, that I'll be using the (Dipper) for the powder, but I theenk I'll take it to the Range and make some HOT loads, one at a time and test them, right thar, by golly. And, I'm gonna pretend, I'm onna the beeg boys.

Does anyone still use the Lee Loaders, or do you just keep them around for old time sake?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I learned how to reload using a Lee Loader, loading for my first centerfire rifle, a .30-06. I sometimes seat bullets using it since it has a fine adjustable die body. I don't regret not using it to size or prime, ugh! what a pain!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The only serious problem with the system is that the dippers limit your choices of pwdr & charges.

One really needs a scale at the least, even if you make your own custom dippers.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I learned to load on a 12ga Lee loader. On my 14th birthday (1962) my Dad took me to the gun store and bought me the Leeloader $9.95, a pound of red dot, 100 primers, 5lbs of shot, and a box (250?) alcan wads and a Speer loading manual. Probably cost a total of $25 or so. Using a piece of fire wood and my fancy new loading outfit I was rolling my own in short order. I still have it and although I hope to never use it again, it does bring back some fond memories.

Never used the Lee but still have my Pacific set up, it was my first equipment. Loaded many a 38 with that thing but havenít used it for many a year, way too slow for me now but itís sure a good way to learn a kid.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I picked up 5 sets at a pawn shop two or three years ago. I use 'em to load for my .270 and .222. Also have sets for my '06, .357, and .223, but haven't gotten around to loading for any of those yet. Handy little buggers. As I recall, I got all 5 for about $40-45.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Love them, still own one. I have loaded around 2000 rounds and no issues.

These stories make me impatient for the next gun show, thanks for sharing you guys.

I reload some ten different rounds with Lee loaders and I use a scale for each load.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I,m surprised that so many use them.

Lee still makes and sells them, I think the number of cartridges is more limited.

I also like the Lyman 310 Tools because they were all I had for many years except for the Lee Loader.

I used a scale too, and a case gage.

It was slow compared to how I load now, but I didn't load that much and I didn't mind.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have a Lee Loader in every rifle caliber the I own a rifle (that's a lot). For load development, or just a couple of rounds, they are ideal. If I am loading in volume, I use a press. I have Lee Loaders in everything from .22 Hornet through .458. Even a .358 Norma Magnum (rare!!!) I always use a scale to load the powder, the only thing I needed to add to the setup. Once available for $5 used in every gun show, they are now becoming "collectible" and getting pricey.

They've been making them for 50 years. Sold them in a lot of popular calibers over the years. However since 1980 sales have declined and now they only offer the most commonly loaded rounds. Bought my first one 30-30 at 16 some 40 plus years ago. I as most reloaders have graduated to a press type system and laft the Lee-Loader in the closet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

[QUOTE=rbuck351;1100594]I learned to load on a 12ga Lee loader. On my 14th birthday (1962) my Dad took me to the gun store and bought me the Leeloader $9.95, a pound of red dot, 100 primers, 5lbs of shot, and a box (250?) alcan wads and a Speer loading manual. Probably cost a total of $25 or so. Using a piece of fire wood and my fancy new loading outfit I was rolling my own in short order. I still have it and although I hope to never use it again, it does bring back some fond memories.[/QUOTE)

Same thing happened to me except I was 13 in '62. I got felt and card wads and I still have mine as well. I told my kids about the Lee Loader and how it worked and asked if they wanted to try it. They all 3 looked at me and said...why would we when we have a MEC that makes one each time you pull the handle. I tried to convince them they would learn from it but that didn't work either. I can't get them to use an electric typewriter either.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Man, u guyz must be "really" old! I bet you had telephones with "cranks" also???
    PacMac, what the heck is that???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Actually....I remember "out on the farm" there was a crank phone with a big bell on the wall that you could hear in the barn and it went off when anyone on the party line got a call which made my uncle really mad since it was never for him. At my house we had the new fangled black phone with a big handset and dial.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Heck I still have a phone with a wheel on it, says ďMountain BellĒ on it. I rented it oh so many years ago and they never took it back, I keep it for the loud ringer I can hear over machinery but it takes all day to dial a number on it. Canít kill that thing with a hammer, in fact the hand-set makes a fair hammer, wish the new ones were half that well made.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Funny how now its hard to even find a phone booth if you need one...
    I got a Lee hand loader when I bought a 3 screw Ruger 41 mag from an old chap too many years ago to count. I never did use it and can't remember what I did with it???
    I remember those old black hard phones smelled like hot tires to me....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Actually....I remember "out on the farm" there was a crank phone with a big bell on the wall that you could hear in the barn and it went off when anyone on the party line got a call which made my uncle really mad since it was never for him. At my house we had the new fangled black phone with a big handset and dial.
    Ah yes, the party lines. Our phone ring was three longs and two shorts. Talk about alot of noise and counting. Lee loader, the .410 was the only one I bought because the shells were alot more than 12ga. Never did use it though as the step son graduated to my old 16 ga!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I remember those old black hard phones smelled like hot tires to me....
    So did my '68 GTO!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Man, u guyz must be "really" old! I bet you had telephones with "cranks" also???
    PacMac, what the heck is that???
    It wasn't QUITE like that.

We didn't have a phone, and when I joined up with the US Air Farce, I went to Tech School and learned all about phone systems. When I came home on leave, an old Local Battery System that was in use before I was born had been put back in service, and my folks had a Crank Phone. It was just amongst the neighbors, and not connected to modern phone systems like in town.

It's a simple operation really. All you need is poles or something to fasten wire on insulators, and the phones and batteries. They were connected, one side to the wire, and the other side to a ground rod.

The batteries supplied talk power, and the crank generated the ringing. The ring was coded like maybe, 2 shorts and one long, or any simple combination that could be recognized.

Anyone could listen or join in to the conversation.

The phone systems of yesteryear were incredibly interesting.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast