Thread: Burbot movement

Default Burbot movement

Have the burbot started moving for the spawn?

Last year on 26 Mar I caught 5 in South Central. All of them had spawned. I do not have any current reports.
    CDM

YUP!!!!!!!!!!

Any hot spots/areas you are willing to share

Nope!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Abob View Post
    Any hot spots/areas you are willing to share
    You are joking Right??

I heard the fishing pond at the Sportsman's show was being stocked with burbot and lakers.:lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Interior burbot living in the rivers typically spawn in mid Jan to early Feb. Burbot living in lakes will be later in the year, probably closer to late March or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    interior burbot living in the rivers typically spawn in mid jan to early feb. Burbot living in lakes will be later in the year, probably closer to late march or so.

like now!!!!!!!

fishing is fishing, never know what will bite, I wasn't expecting grid coordinates, maybe a Lake name, that's all

Quote Originally Posted by CDMonomonock View Post
    Last year on 26 Mar I caught 5 in South Central. All of them had spawned. I do not have any current reports.
    CDM
    How do you know they have already spawned? Thinner, color, ...................smoking a cig and smiling?

Seriously now, I am curious how one could tell.

Thanks

Throwing a guess out here.....egg sacks are gone when they are filleted open?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Throwing a guess out here.....egg sacks are gone when they are filleted open?
    BK
    Well now that would be an easy way. I didn't even think that, as I C&R for the most part. me=dummy

I thought there might be a way visually to make that determination, without using a knife.

Without cutting the fish open there really isn't a good way to determine if they've pre- or post-spawn. Sometimes if you catch them within a day or two before or after spawning you can get them to express eggs or milt by giving the belly a squeeze, but that is only for a short time period and doesn't work frequently enough to be reliable. Post-spawn fish may also have a empty/flaccid look to their bellies. Same thing goes for determining sex. The only way to know for sure to look inside.

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    How do you know they have already spawned? Thinner, color, ...................smoking a cig and smiling?

Seriously now, I am curious how one could tell.

Thanks
    I had spent a great deal of time fishing them pre-spawn. I did not have to cut them open to tell. The ones where I was fishing went from prego-fatty to a streamlined killer in a weeks time. I did slice a few open for the sake of my frying pan and my observation was proved correct. mmmmm burbot liver........