Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on when they will begin plowing the Denali Highway spring 2012.

Default Update on when they will begin plowing the Denali Highway spring 2012.

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but since many of you guys will be spring bear hunting and possibly wolf hunting beginning around this time, wanted to make sure you know the State's plan to begin plowing.

Al at Maclaren River Lodge told me that the DOT intends to start plowing on the Paxson side beginning April 7th. DOT Tom said he thinks they are just plowing to the 17 mile pit starting that early, but he wasn't sure.

I just spoke with Tom, who is head of DOT out of Fairbanks, and he said they plan to start plowing in from Cantwell on April 16th.

The plowing process can take a week or two or three to complete, so we'll keep you updated. We will keep moving our vehicles down the highway as the plowing progresses, using a combination of atv's and snow machines during this process.

Once the highway is opened to us, it's an easy off load snow machines and go from there. The snow will be excellent in the mountains into late April and well into May, if your riding in the mountains.

I'm starting to really itch about spring grizzly hunting.... woooo hoooo!!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Sweet I'm sure I an strike up a 4 day weekend.

If the bears are in the same valley as the ptarmigan, just nod your head. Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I just put a special up on the 'Outdoor discount/special' page or whatever it's called! Looking forward to seeing you back before all the snow is gone!

Bears generally den in mountains.... lol!

Outa' my way... I've got dibs on the south side Just kidding, lots of terrain out there to hunt. Justin and I will be going up on April 14/15/16. Not sure if we're camping out or staying at the lodge yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm going to try to get out the weekend of April 20th, but I'm not certain I'll make it as far as Alpine Creek. We'll see though...I'm certainly anxious to get out!

Keep us posted on when it's doable via Ranger. I'd be more than happy to help haul anything out if needed. Tonya and I are used to the Friday night suicide run camping trips.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Will do Dan! I'll let you know and I'll also keep posting on here to keep folks updated. I know how the weekend run is! The first year we had the lodge, I drove from Kenai to the lodge every Friday afternoon, at 4pm, arrived at the lodge to work on it at 2am. Work all day Saturday, and back in the truck and back to Kenai Sunday morning....ah...those were the days! argh!

Curious of I go through Windy pass to Roosevelt in the Ranger lol

Good to know, with my work schedule I won't be able to go bear hunting until the end of April so hopefully there'll still be some snow left to get around on.

TWB, I think Doug has made that trip, but not positive. I've been to the top of wedding pass in the rangers, since there is a road, but after that, it looks like it would be a challenge. But I have heard of people making the trip in a wheeler. I will let you know this summer, as it's on my to do list!

Alaska Lanche, I hear you. I won't be getting back to the lodge until April 30th, (after this hitch off) but then I have two weeks of bear chasin to do, so looking forward to that!

Nope, I haven't gone all the way through. I've been to the mine at the top of Windy and looked down to the valley below, but that's it. It's doable on a wheeler, but I saw no reason to tear things up where there wasn't a trail already.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Alaska Lanche, I hear you. I won't be getting back to the lodge until April 30th, (after this hitch off) but then I have two weeks of bear chasin to do, so looking forward to that!
    I hear ya there Claude, I'll be chasing bears one way or another that time frame, if its too snowy for wheelers but too little for sno-gos I'll likely go chase black bears some where. Otherwise I'll be burnign some petro trying to find a good spring grizz up that why, though staying at the Alaska_Lanche Lodge so I won't be in your hair.

Cool deal! Look forward to seeing what we can harvest out of here this spring. I'm going to finally put a ton of effort into it this year, since the lodge is almost running itself now.

Let me know if you ever want to lease parking area's around your place in Cantwell!

Default Plowing begins from Cantwell on Sunday afternoon 4/15/12

I rode out from the lodge yesterday around noon. The DOT was beginning to stage equipment and start plowing. An auger on a loader headed down the trail aways while I was there, and the grader was not far behind. I'm guessing they will be moving along at a pretty good pace with all the equipment they had. I'm just hoping they get the 64 miles to my house before I get off work on the 30th. Will be nice to drive after 7 months of snow machining in and out. (which isn't a bad thing, but just time for a change!)

From the Paxson side, no new news. They have plowed in about 17 miles, but not sure when they plan to continue on.

Talked to the DOT yesterday. They made it to milepost 118 (plowing begins at mile 132 or so in Cantwell) on the first day, Monday. At that rate, they should be to the lodge by the end of the week! But I don't expect them for at least 10 days. Of course, you travel at your own risk with no guranteed maintenance until May 15th. Will keep you updated as I hear more this week.

Do they push any pullouts? My crew cab and trailer take a bit to turn around. Thinking of heading up Friday.

I've seen them do it in the past. We parked at 32 mile in a wide spot one year while they were still moving along. Turned the enclosed and crewcab dually with camper around with room to spare.

last couple years they been pretty good about makin' pull outs where they stop plowing..in case someone comes in behind them. i did see one guys snowmachine trailer with a huge burm plowed up under it once too though...lol bet that guy was steamed when he showed back up!!
    just hopin' i'm not poppin' all my tires 5 miles in.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Doug, I talked to Tom, head of DOT out of Fairbanks, and he said they are pushing all the pullouts as they go along, which is excellent! Up to last year, they would not push pullouts and I had to back up a couple of miles on more than one occasion. The road is not officially open until May 15th, but they do not stop people from traveling at thier own risk, of course. Like I told them.... once you plow the snow, and I can't ride a snow machine, then I have no choice but to drive my truck until I get to where they stop plowing, then unload and go.

Jake, if you don't drive like a crazy man, you won't pop as many tires. Remember, your truck is not a snow machine! lol

We're probably going to go for it. That big 20' trailer I have has so little tongue weight that we can turn it around by hand if need be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast