Thread: When to plant

Default When to plant

When do most of you start your lettuce indoors. I specifically want to try to start some Romain Lettuce heads.
    Thanks

Well I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what your set up is but I would wait till the last week of april or first week of may.

I grow lettuce all winter indoors under grow lights. You can start spinach, kale, chard and lettuce now if you have raised beds with a hoop tunnel or cold frame to put them in around the first of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    When do most of you start your lettuce indoors. I specifically want to try to start some Romain Lettuce heads.
    Thanks
    I start mine when the GH will support them through the night.
    I start several 6 packs thru the spring about 3 weeks apart to have some new ones to set out thru the summer.
    Romaine is pretty cold tolerant.
    I think this year it will be later than in years past. May need to put some covers on them at night this year.
    Usually late April for lettuce, 4 to 6 week old plants are about the right size to plant in the garden.
    Gonna start getting the GH prepped this week.
    My tom plants are read to go in the GH, but the weather need to warm up a little more at night before I trust that they won't freeze. Hopefully in a week or 2 at the most I'll be able to get it going.
    Heat tape in the soil boxes gives me a little head start.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I start mine when the GH will support them through the night.
    I start several 6 packs thru the spring about 3 weeks apart to have some new ones to set out thru the summer.
    Romaine is pretty cold tolerant.
    I think this year it will be later than in years past. May need to put some covers on them at night this year.
    Usually late April for lettuce, 4 to 6 week old plants are about the right size to plant in the garden.
    Gonna start getting the GH prepped this week.
    My tom plants are read to go in the GH, but the weather need to warm up a little more at night before I trust that they won't freeze. Hopefully in a week or 2 at the most I'll be able to get it going.
    Heat tape in the soil boxes gives me a little head start.
    Great advice, thanks!