Thread: Speer 44 mag 270 gr Deep Curl Performance on Game?

Default Speer 44 mag 270 gr Deep Curl Performance on Game?

I have been getting some wonderful velocities and accuracy with the .429" Speer 270 Deep Curl JSP in several different 44 mags.

I'm wondering if anyone has used this bullet on game. I would like to know:
    * on what animals?
    * at what velocity and distance hit?
    * bullet expansion and penetration (or lack thereof)?
    * and general effectiveness?

This bullet seems to be a perfect balance between weight and velocity with controllable recoil. Thanks for the replies.

As a corollary to your question. I have been looking at these bullets at the local shop and wondering about loading them. They are not specifically addressed in the Speer manual and I wonder if the concave base affects the pressure profile. I would suspect that it would result in increased pressure, but I could be wrong. Are you using loading data for flat based 270 grain JSPs?

Don't want to derail your thread, just thought the two questions went well together.

- bsd

I've been using the 270 Gold Dot for years (same bullet, different name) and they work wonderfully. Brian Pearce in Rifle Magazine really likes them, both for the 44 and the 444. Jim

I'd take the 270 bonded gold dot (ahem "deep curl") over any heavier hardcast bullet in the 44 magnum. My uncle has one he saved from a small bull moose he shot back in 2000. Dang near made it all the way through on an angled shot from his 44 mag deerfield carbine.

Bigskydoc, the Ramshot online guide gives loads with Enforcer for this exact bullet. The Gold Dot has been renamed Deep Curl, but is unchanged otherwise. Enforcer is the same as Accurate 4100 pistol powder, which I use.

Here is the load data:

With a slightly longer COA of 1.605, I use this 270 Deep Curl in my 10" Encore and 19.5 gr. of 4100, for a chronographed 1460 fps, and 5-shot groups of 1-1.25 inches at 50 yds. This powder burns so clean, that after 25 shots the bore looks like it has just been swabbed out.

I load this bullet over a healthy charge of LilGun and get great accuracy and around 1250fps from a 4" S&W. The only game I've taken with it was a sprucehen and it cleanly beheaded him. I have shot them into wet phonebooks, which aren't game but are still fun and give you some idea how a bullet behaves. They performed exceptionally well when compared to other common handgun bullets, even outpenetrating a 340gr JDJ hardcast from an old CorBon load.

Thanks

- bsd

Got a bunch of these bullets I'm selling if anyone is interested. 200 of em new in the box. Paid over 75 with shipping from midway asking 45.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Got a bunch of these bullets I'm selling if anyone is interested. 200 of em new in the box. Paid over 75 with shipping from midway asking 45.
    I'll take them, if you don't mind shipping them. I'll pay the flat rate USPS.
    "The older I get, the better I was."