Thread: electric fence ground wire??

Default electric fence ground wire??

What kind of wire do you use for the ground connection on an electric fence set up?
    Thanks
    Bruce

Bruce I decided not to take chances on a faulty ground and bought the type of fence that does not need a ground. I use mine on gravel bars when on float trips and its sometimes hard/impossible to get a good ground through the rocks. With the fence I don't have to worry about it. Every other wire is hot and negative. They have to touch two wires and the shock hits.

Default ideas??

Anybody else got an opinion here??
    Thanks
    Bruce

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Bruce I decided not to take chances on a faulty ground and bought the type of fence that does not need a ground. I use mine on gravel bars when on float trips and its sometimes hard/impossible to get a good ground through the rocks. With the fence I don't have to worry about it. Every other wire is hot and negative. They have to touch two wires and the shock hits.
    can you run the ground as a second fence strand instead of to a grounding rod and get the same effect when both wires are touched.

You can but since the two wires must be close together to be touched at the same time and there is nothing keeping them seperated, the wind can make them touch. This will cause a short. With the net fencing they are held apart by being interwoven through the net.

BruceB-
    I haven't used a back country electric fencer, but I have one in use at home around the horse pen.

A good ground is crucial as you probably know. Alot depends one the soil type as Casper alluded to. The ground rod needs to be in moist soil to be able to conduct back to the charger and complete the circuit once a bear (or horse) "closes the switch" on the enclosure. There have been times when the snow was deep enough that horses were effectively insulated from the ground to get a shock from the hot wire and I had to run a parallel ground wire.

IMO, the ground is more important than the wire running to it. Just make sure there are solid connections at every junction.

Bruce,
    I use 16 gauge aluminum fence wire for a ground. I cut enough of it to circle the outside of the fence. Bury and secure it with aluminum tent stakes. The bear will be standing on or near this wire when his nose touches the hot wire. As already stated, this will not work very good on gravel bars.
    Regards,
    Brian