Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Getting side arm to Alaska

  1. #1

    Default Getting side arm to Alaska

    I drive my RV to Alaska from Ohio through Canada. I don't want those guys conviscating my RV and putting me in prison for 10 years.. Can anyone tell me an easy way of getting my side arm shipped to Alaska and back?

  2. #2
    Member Grizzly Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Do you know anyone in AK to ship it to? USPS flat rate box. delivered to the door
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    USPS of a handgun, even mailing it to yourself, is not legal for the average citizen.

    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Can't mail a handgun by USPS unless you have an FFL, long gun yes handgun no. You can FedEx it from yorself to yourself but it's not that cheap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    And you can't send it to someone else across state lines. That would be an interstate transfer of a firearm, and requires a dealer on the receiving end. To receive your handgun in Alaska, you will need proof of residency for the state of Alaska.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    You could send it to any one of the gunsmiths here to have some work done to it (something simple like a trigger job), carry it while you are here, then have them send it to you- all legal.
    BEE

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    gunbugs, Would this work. Could he pick it up in AK?

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    You could send it to any one of the gunsmiths here to have some work done to it (something simple like a trigger job), carry it while you are here, then have them send it to you- all legal.
    BEE
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  8. #8

    Default

    Take the ferry from Bellingham and you can take it with you.

  9. #9
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Take the ferry from Bellingham and you can take it with you.
    As long as he gets off in Valdez or Whittier. If he gets off in Haines, he still has to go through Canada.

  10. #10
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    You could send it to any one of the gunsmiths here to have some work done to it (something simple like a trigger job), carry it while you are here, then have them send it to you- all legal.
    BEE
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    gunbugs, Would this work. Could he pick it up in AK?

    Now that’s a novel idea, off the top of my head I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Send it for a checking out, then pick it up here, still likely need a background check but no buy so no transfer I suppose?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Ship it to yourself

    It is indeed illegal to ship it to someone else- that would be a transfer - but it is legal to ship it to yourself - that is not a transfer. You are basically doing what the airlines do when you travel with a gun in your baggage- they are simply transporting the gun for you - and the the ownship never changes.

    The BATF used to cover this in their FAQs on their website. I'd check their site out in any event.


    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    And you can't send it to someone else across state lines. That would be an interstate transfer of a firearm, and requires a dealer on the receiving end. To receive your handgun in Alaska, you will need proof of residency for the state of Alaska.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Send it in different pieces in different packages at different times. If it cannot be made into a functional firearm within the same package or on the same transport vehicle, it believe it is legal. It would be like buying a barrel and trigger assembly from midway or something like that. Insure each package for the value of the firearm. Just a thought.

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Depending on what type of pistol, fill out the forms and bring it with you.

    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

    Firearm owner and users in Canada need a valid firearms licence allowing them to possess firearms and a Canadian registration certificate for each firearm in their possession. A licence issued under Canada’s Firearms Act is different from a provincial hunting licence.Non-residents have two options for meeting the Canadian licensing and registration requirements:
    Option 1

    Declare firearms in writing, in triplicate, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form CAFC 909).
    If there are more than three firearms, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form CAFC 910) should be added.
    Once the declaration has been confirmed by the CBSA customs officer, it acts as a licence for the owner and as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms brought to Canada; and it is valid for 60 days. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant province or territory.
    A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.



    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  14. #14
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    My response above was specifically addressing USPS. You cannot mail a handgun through the USPS.

    You can, however, ship a handgun to yourself (in care of another person in another state) using a common carrier such as UPS or Fed-Ex if their company policy allows it.

    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rearms-carrier
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Send it in different pieces in different packages at different times. If it cannot be made into a functional firearm within the same package or on the same transport vehicle, it believe it is legal. It would be like buying a barrel and trigger assembly from midway or something like that. Insure each package for the value of the firearm. Just a thought.
    The part with the serial number is considered a gun and can't be shipped as parts even though it may be a stripped frame with just the barrel attached.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

  16. #16
    Member Grizzly Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcal View Post
    I drive my RV to Alaska from Ohio through Canada. I don't want those guys conviscating my RV and putting me in prison for 10 years.. Can anyone tell me an easy way of getting my side arm shipped to Alaska and back?

    Appearantly I gave you some bad info. I would not try mailing it. Not saying it hasn't worked for years , just saying it might not be quite legal

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    USPS of a handgun, even mailing it to yourself, is not legal for the average citizen.

    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
    AKDoug, I'm above average
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Andy:

    It is legal- just like us sending our guns to a specialty gunsmith, or sending them in to a manufacturer. People send them to have handguns worked on all the time, and then they simply mail them back. Just as Snyd stated though- sending in parts won't fly according to the law- just like the lower of an AR is considered the gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Now that’s a novel idea, off the top of my head I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Send it for a checking out, then pick it up here, still likely need a background check but no buy so no transfer I suppose?

  18. #18
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My response above was specifically addressing USPS. You cannot mail a handgun through the USPS.

    You can, however, ship a handgun to yourself (in care of another person in another state) using a common carrier such as UPS or Fed-Ex if their company policy allows it.

    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rearms-carrier
    When I moved here, I shipped my side arms to myself care of a local FFL. Said FFL held the package for me and did NOT open it...

    Depending on the gun, it is possible that you could transport it through Canada (not all handguns are prohibited). Info here: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/097-eng.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks area
    Posts
    3

    Default

    +1 on what iofthetaiga said. I took my pistol to UPS, shipped it to a FFL dealer up here and specified "In care of 'my name'" and he had it waiting in the unopened box. Then I just had to show my ID (you do not have to be an AK resident) and pay the transfer fee. Shipping was a little expensive since by law it has to be overnight (at least that's what the UPS lady said). Did a lot of searching online and calling to figure out the legal way to get a pistol up here.

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks area
    Posts
    3

    Default

    One more thing. You are allowed to carry pistol ammo through the border, and if you do, make sure to save the receipt proving you shipped you're pistol. That kept the border folks from tearing my whole truck appart making sure I didn't have it...though I've heard of them doing that anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •