Thread: Pavati vs Fish Rite... Drift Boat Suggestions

Default Pavati vs Fish Rite... Drift Boat Suggestions

After this next summer I will be finishing up my training to become a guide at my lodge. At this time I will be looking at getting my own drift boat. I want to make sure I get the right boat for me. I have rowed a Fish Rite before, but like some of the features of the Pavati drift boats. I would be guiding on the Kenai and the Kasilof. If you own either of these boats, or have some info on them it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why not a Willie drift boat? I've rowed a Fish Rite and a Willie and I like the Willie more . Pavati has nice features, not so sure about the pointy front end though. One way or another if you're buying new make sure to ask for guide pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Why not a Willie drift boat? I've rowed a Fish Rite and a Willie and I like the Willie more . Pavati has nice features, not so sure about the pointy front end though. One way or another if you're buying new make sure to ask for guide pricing.
    I never thought about a Willie! Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsmen2012 View Post
    I never thought about a Willie! Thanks for the suggestion.
    I think if you're going to be using it for guiding a 19' Willie aluminum is the best choice.
    They are built like tanks and will put up with many years of customer abuse.
    I think they will fair better than glass anyway.
    ost of the guides I know that are guiding on the Kenai are running them, so that must say something about their fishability and durability.

For a personal boat I would really like a Pavati though.

Dont over look the River Wolf Boats out of Roseburg. I own a 20X68 that has it all & seen more Guides going to this boat. PM me if you would like to oar it sometime this year.

Willie boats are the unanimous choice for the Kenai and Kasilof... Fish Rite is a distant second. I rowed a Fish Rite for 15 years before finally purchasing a new Willie last year and I love it! Pavati boats are intriguing, but when I looked into them more closely they just don't customize them for the type of fishing we do here on our rivers, at least not enough to make sense buying one over a Willie. Just my .02
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

All of this info helps so much! How much does a 19' customized Willie usually run as far as price?

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsmen2012 View Post
    All of this info helps so much! How much does a 19' customized Willie usually run as far as price?
    An arm and a leg and your first born... They can have my first born but I need my arms and legs to fish my Alumaweld... Actually they are all nice boats.

I have rowed them all, including the River Wolf. My first few years guiding on my own I ordered a Fish Rite. I had nothing but problems with the boat, the trailer and them. I had my boat up here sitting without a trailer for a few months. It was a pain in the butt. My friends own a decked out Pavati that is honestly the best boat I ever rowed. It tracks very well and the doors on it are awesome for clients. It's a bit more spendy but if you call and order direct from Chuck he might be able to work something out with ya!

Quote Originally Posted by StreambornFishing View Post
    I have rowed them all, including the River Wolf. My first few years guiding on my own I ordered a Fish Rite. I had nothing but problems with the boat, the trailer and them. I had my boat up here sitting without a trailer for a few months. It was a pain in the butt. My friends own a decked out Pavati that is honestly the best boat I ever rowed. It tracks very well and the doors on it are awesome for clients. It's a bit more spendy but if you call and order direct from Chuck he might be able to work something out with ya!
    Thanks! Do you happen to know the size of it and what exactly he had customized?

Default Pavati.

Went to the Show on friday & checked out the Pavati DB's. The sells "rep" Ron Boyle Lives in Soldotna (nice guy) he has three in his drive way. They look like a cool boat & will take on for a spin myself soon. My RW boat had more options for around 3000 less but hay no limet's for a guide especialy if it rows like a dream Smile.........

I am New to the drift boat world, but i do own a pavati 17' guardian. and i am amazed on how easy it is to row. the Guardian does not have the wave cutter bow. but i have not seen a need for it. All the features that this boat has are what sold me on it, like the Fully removeable floors, the way you can fine tune the seating and any other acc. u might have with the quick lock system. The boat is very light weight and easy to move by yourself on or off the trailer. and chuck gross the owner will do what ever you want to do to customize it. and the doors well i got to say they kick ass. I have a 6 and 4 year old daughter and my wife and the doors have already paid for them selves with them. If you are interested call Ron Boyle he is in soldotna and is the ak rep. And they look preety cool out on the water

I just got a 17ft Fish-Rite. Pretty badass little boat. Handles like a sports car! Definitely recommend a Fish-Rite!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Piscor Ergo Sum

We have a 20' Willie. We had it custom built to our specs in Oregon. It is decked out with the diamond plate floor, heater etc. We love it! My husband guided out of a 20 footer when we were in college, and he picked the specs based on that.

I've heard some people say that the 20' Willie is a actually a bit bigger than the Fishrite, but I'm not sure if that is true or not.

The customer service when ordering from Willie was spectacular. Honestly, it couldn't have been any better.

The hardest part about our experience was figuring out how to get it up here. I put multiple ads on various state craigslists. We ended up paying $1500 for someone to tow it up here-which we didn't pay until he delivered it of course. We had it fully insured and hoped for the best. The downside is that our trailer had $2500 miles on it before we used it, and the front of the boat got pretty scuffed up for the alcan. The upside was that we saved $2500 over having it shipped up, at that time it was about $4K to have it sent as freight.

Thanks for the info!

Funny. I've owned a willies, koffler, and fish-rite. I fished (and guided) year round down south.
    Multiple day trips on the deschutes, steelhead and salmon on the washington coast.

The fish-rite way by far the easiest to handle, best rowing boat- the willies was by far the worst. If I was in the market again, I would without a doubt have them on the top of my list.

I own a Pavati and am extremely happy with it. Chuck and all the crew did a terrific job. I am particularly fond of the flexibility of the seating arrangement and the quality of the construction is excellent. I have owned a fish-rite that I swear was crooked from day one. Getting into the Pavati was like going from a 79' Ford 1 ton into a Ferrari. Obviously tastes vary so my advice is to get out and row one and see how it fits you. Be happy to let you man the oars on a trip just send me a PM.