Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No ISo-butane on air taxis

Default No ISo-butane on air taxis

I Was fortunate to draw the late delta sheep permit and am getting dropped off by 40 mile air, they sent me a letter today that said they are no longer able to carry the nonrefillable ISO/butane canisters. So much for my jetboils, looks I might be going back to my old white gas stove!

I got the same letter, they gave a link for an adapter to hook up a propane canister to the isobutane stoves. I am going to look into it. Otherwise I am going with the MSR Whisperlite International. Way too much weight with those fuel bottles though. I talked to 40 mile air about it. They said the best course of action would be for the hunters to write the stove/fuel canister companies and make a complaint that thier stuff is not usable for fly in hunts.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I wonder if something has changed?? When I researched Iso fuel, I found some canisters are flyable as hazmat and some are not. The ones that could be air shipped had a DOT stamp on them. I remember for sure that JetBoil brand DID NOT.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you could point me in the direction of those brands I would greatly appreciate it.

Also Forum Member goeaux, said he has a system that the TSA can't mess with. I am wondering if this will work on bush planes as well. I will check them out at the sportsman's show this weekend. I am waiting to buy my stove until I nail down what kind of fuel system I will use.

This is the link that 40 mile air provided:

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....acking-ii.html

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. I talked to our sheep air carrier a couple of weeks ago and he told me that he'll have MSR canisters that we can buy from him to use with our Jetboil stove.

I haven't heard anything from wrights air. I may have to call them this week about this.

I thought snow peak had fuel canisters that were DOT approved for air travel, I may be wrong. That's why I bought the Whisperlite Universal, so I can burn cansiter fuel or liquid fuel from the same stove in case I can't take canisters with me.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

My wife got the same letter in the mail today from 40 mile. She read that the letter stated refillable iso-butane canisters are prohibited. As I understand it most canisters are non-refillable so it would be a non-issue??

Wrights explained to us that the peak canisters are air transportable as cargo but not certified to be on an aircraft that is carrying passengers.

I just sent the question off to Roland at Seahawk. I'll let you know what he says.
    RASTUS

Why not carry it outside on the wing....My buddy, has a little container that is duck taped to the struts and we put bear spray and other stuff you dont want going off in the plane..... Is this a new rule for 135 certificate operators? sounds like they are getting a little carried away with " what if " situations....and theres a lot of "what ifs" when your flying to the bush country.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I haven't heard anything from wrights air. I may have to call them this week about this.
    If you dont say anything, you might get away with transporting it.... I wouldn't even bring it up, ignorance sometimes prevails!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If you dont say anything, you might get away with transporting it.... I wouldn't even bring it up, ignorance sometimes prevails!!!
    On the flip side your loading bags into a 180, pilot asks to verify stoves and viola- all you have in an iso stove.

No flight or no stove?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Why not carry it outside on the wing....My buddy, has a little container that is duck taped to the struts and we put bear spray and other stuff you dont want going off in the plane..... Is this a new rule for 135 certificate operators? sounds like they are getting a little carried away with " what if " situations....and theres a lot of "what ifs" when your flying to the bush country.
    I don't think its a new rule, but perhaps closer enforcement of the old rule.
    After a run in with the FAA a few years ago (over matches as packed baggage on an ANC to Kodiak flight) I was informed that ALL HAZMAT materials were under the same rules whether you were flying in a 767 or a 180. In other words, unless a fuel bottle or can was packaged correctly (according to FAA/HAZMAT standards) it wasn't permitted on ANY commercial flight - including air taxis. Thank God that most taxis in AK have been ignoring that rule for a long time & hopefully will continue to do so.

For clarification: all shipments of hazardous materials are regulated by the DOT/IATA. The FAA does not make the rules, they just enforce them. Air carriers are allowed to have their own rules that are more restrictive than the DOT/IATA regulations.

This appears to be an old issue that is just now starting to have an impact nearly 10 years after the DOT made their first determination that manfuacturers and retailers were not following the rules.
    Back ground info

It all boils down to two things: Is the cannister refillable and can it contain more than 4oz of volume?

If the canister is refilable it cannot be shipped on anything that flys unless it is tested and recertified after being refilled. Nobody has that kind of money for a little tin can of flammable gas.

If the canister can contain more than 4oz in volume then it needs to be shipped as hazmat in specified packaging with the correct UN2037, DOT name, hazard class stickers/labels, and you need to have the training to sign your life away on the declaration of dangerous goods form. How many of you have had your three day HM-181 DOT class? You can ship up to 1kg of UN2037 (flammable gas)on a passenger aircraft as long as you comply with all the rules.

It appears that most these cannisters can hold more than 4oz by volume so they cannot be shipped as ORM-D commodities as most folks were doing back in the day. They still need to be in a box with the proper markings, not tossed in your pack.

It cracks me up because we are flying around in fabric aircraft with 40 gallons of fuel just inches from our heads. I'm curious as to the restrictions on white gas now.

Anyhow, I just use a Whisperlite International. In a pinch you can fill those fuel cannisters with fuel right from the wings of a Cub.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It cracks me up because we are flying around in fabric aircraft with 40 gallons of fuel just inches from our heads....
    In light of the above the situation takes on a new level of absurdity indeed!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

We had that trouble two years ago when we were getting ready to fly to the North Brooks range .
    The lady at the counter at Wright air gave us a list of no no's that could not be taken with us and wouldn't you know it all of our jetboil canisters were on the no fly list .
    Almost in panic mode as our flight was to leave in 2 hours so we started calling all the places we knew of in Fairbanks and Beaver sports had Snow peak approved fuel on the shelf .Snow peak is an approved canister fuel but things might of changed ??

On a side note I have had many flights this was the first year I had a list handed to me that had the items that could not got onto the flight . All the previous years I had jetboil gas canisters with us , who knew ???

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Last fall the air taxi we used in King Salmon informed us six months out that only liquid fuel stoves would be allowed on the airplane.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast