Thread: Details about the bear attack on the youth group hiking the Talkeetna's last summer

Default Details about the bear attack on the youth group hiking the Talkeetna's last summer

Thought this was an interesting read:

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2...0-26151808.pdf
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

That really is interesting and a super detailed report, thanks for posting

lots of good info to be learned reading all that,

and it all comes down to the Unpredictable Bears, eh?

or, the apparently well prepared hikers,
    takin' a few shortcuts, like we are wont to do in the thick brush
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah, I think that was the most detailed report of a bear encounter I've ever seen. Definitely an unpredictable bear. They seemed to be prepared. You won't catch me walking in brush that thick without a gun, that's for sure, not in that area, which isn't far from my house.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

great report.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

No disrespect intended, but I think the bear was predictable. It was acting like.....A bear.

It was the "edumacated" teens who where acting unpredictably and in a manner that only increased the body count. Amazing no one was killed.

Bears, Brown/Grizz in particular, simply want to eliminate the threat and escape. When confronted with multiple perceived threats, well....They'll keep attacking until they can make good their departure.

Great article, and certainly one worth showing folks who are venturing into the Bush.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I've been reading both of Medreds pieces over on Distpatch.

thanks for the link to the full report.

I guess my main thought was that she(?) was unpredictably sticking around
    when they were yelling, "Hey Bear" on their way through there

Actually, my first thought, was that they had slacked off a bit on that part of the deal,
    as is very easy to do when bustin' brush like that

Hard to imagine a well warned Bear with a (maybe) cub around not hearing that, and making immediate exit
    but then there's potential stream noise, and brush muffling, etc.

After that, yeah, a Very Bear-Like reaction, to a bunch of screaming and running, after a nice quiet afternoon, Interrupted !

If you could just take the new guys into that exact situation, would be a very humbling experience (teachable moment) for all,
    to see how easy it is to make a few critical mistakes

I've sure made a few, and can relate to that kind of brush,....and the temptation to walk up the creekbed, etc.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The one thing that makes me shake my head the most about that situation is that NOLS didn't train the students to wear their bear spray canisters in a chest or belt holster. I understand that NOLS is going to change that for the upcoming season, but come on...having bear protection accessible is not something that should strike these folks as a new idea. Everything else beyond that is understandable (though regrettable), in that it's incredibly difficult to keep one's wits about oneself in such a situation. Not having bear spray accessible is inexcusable, though.

You also have to look between the lines on NOLS bear encounter data and statements. They appear to be very complacent since nothing has ever happened before that they did not have lots of time to react to.

I am sure the kids were making noise but they were not making noise that could be heard over their environment. Just look at the event a couple years ago with the bikers on Resurection Trail that were hit by a sow. Their bikes were making noise and they were talking but that didn't over come the environmental noise from the creek to warn any bears.

I learned the "have it in your hand or don't bother" weapon carry concept in 1994 when walking my old dog in Campell Track. Young shepard puppy decided to "play" with my dog and then me. I could not get to the spray on the side of my day pack, so I shucked the pack and used it to beat the shepard into retreat. Only my dog had any tooth holes that needed stitching. Coward dad and his two kids and their "friendly puppy" ran off before I could ask them to pay the vet bill. It was a teachable moment for me in what I need to do for weapon carry - if its not in my hand in 2 seconds or less don't bother.