Thread: Use of Helicopters for black bear hunting?

Default Use of Helicopters for black bear hunting?

I was looking over the new regs and read this: Same-day-airborne taking of black bears as long as permittee is at least 300 feet from the aircraft, including the use of any type of aircraft to access black bear baiting stations during the baiting season, April 15th to June 30th and August 10th to October 15th,
    Did i read that right?
    Last edited by pa18tony; 04-05-2007 at 11:03. Reason: sp

Default nice thinking....

but its the same wording as the same day caribou. Still can't use helicopters. maybe someone with more computer savvy will post the reg link for helicopter exclusion.

I would not think they would go the helicopter route. Sure would get the job done though!

Default The use

The use of helicopter to move gear, hunters, game animals has been illegal for a long time. If they were ever allowed to be used, most of the game in the state would vanish.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave i know that helicopters have not been aloud to be used for hunting or trapping. It's the wording that i read in the new adopted regs "the use of ANY TYPE OF AIRCRAFT" is what got me wondering what they mean. I have not seen it worded like that before.

Default I have

I have all the regulations on baiting sitting home. I will read it agian tonight as I don't cover that are in my class unless someone really wants to go up there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Dave i know that helicopters have not been aloud to be used for hunting or trapping. It's the wording that i read in the new adopted regs "the use of ANY TYPE OF AIRCRAFT" is what got me wondering what they mean. I have not seen it worded like that before.
    Since helicopters fall under FAA regs. they are a type of aircraft. Just like hot air ballons, and experimental and ultra-lites are considered airships and require licenses.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The use of helicopter to move gear, hunters, game animals has been illegal for a long time. If they were ever allowed to be used, most of the game in the state would vanish.
    I think that was the original reason they banned their use due to sheep. goats and herding bears on the Kenai many moons ago.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Cows

This is a bit off subject but I have heard that helicopters can be used to hunt wild cows and buffalo on the Aleutian Chain. Has anyone else heard of this?

Default wild cows don't fall under the game regs

thus the same day airborne and helicopter issue is moot