Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Revolver

Default CCW Revolver

Considering purchasing one. What are your thoughts on the CCW revolver you carry ? Please, no debate on the merits of an auto loader vs. revolver.

I have a ruger LCR in .357mag and love it. It is small and light you can fit it in your front pocket with no imprinting at all. People have complained that there is too much recoil since its so small and light but it is comparable to a Smith and wesson airweight frame as far as the recoil plus you can shoot .38 spc out of it or use reduced loads. I am not a fan of the front sight tho so I swapped that out and have no problems with accuracy.

I've got a det spc and I like the size and ease of carry plus it's a six shooter. But for me the snubbie is a true belly gun. I'm not very accurate with it past "face to face" range shooting DA. I found a hammer on gunbroker and bobbed it (save my original) so it's pretty much a DA only gun but I can still cock it.

One gun that I've always thought would be cool is the Taurus P45 I think they called it. 5 shot 45 Colt snubbie. They made a stainless and a titanium. A compact 45 snubbie seems like a great combo.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

All I carry anymore are revolvers and they are great.Depending on your size and what you wear a large wheel gun is easy to pack.My Alaskan 454 does fine for me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For CCW I love revolvers.

Not so much a fan of the J-Frame anymore- very light but harder to shoot in robust cartridges. No experience with the polymer framed revolvers by S&W and Ruger but I imagine the same rule applies.

I really like the SP101- a bit heavy but nothing unmanageble in a decent holster, decent grips and the easiest snubby for me to shoot well. The now defunct Detective Special is superb but a little tougher to find.

I had a S&W 5 shot 44 Spec on the L-Frame...sold it in a fit of stupid.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Love my S&W AirLite PD .357 snubbie. It barks with full loads but is comfortable to carry, hold's 7 rounds and shoots well at reasonable ranges. I also like my SP101. Favorite revolver is a 4" 686 though not as easy to conceal- depends what I am wearing.
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've got a det spc and I like the size and ease of carry plus it's a six shooter. But for me the snubbie is a true belly gun. I'm not very accurate with it past "face to face" range shooting DA. I found a hammer on gunbroker and bobbed it (save my original) so it's pretty much a DA only gun but I can still cock it.

One gun that I've always thought would be cool is the Taurus P45 I think they called it. 5 shot 45 Colt snubbie. They made a stainless and a titanium. A compact 45 snubbie seems like a great combo.
    I have that gun in titanium as a 44 special and love it small lightweight. mostly carry it for the walk around the yard /neighborhood. A little light for brown bear. I sure like how light it is and the 44 spcl make good warm up bullets for the 44 mag.

S&W 640 357 lives in my coat pocket and I love the little thing, itís a handful with 357 but I know it will make itís way through heave Carharts if I ever need it to,it eats 38 like candy and rides just fine . I have a LC9 I got back in January that I think will be my summer town gun now because its so much flatter for packing tight to me. Iíd definitely rep for the 640 I donít think you can get a better CCW revolver, the jury isnít in on the LC9 auto for me yet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default S&w 329 pd

In the winter or when you are wearing heavier clothing i.e. most of the time in Alaska, the 329 PD is my choice for man or beast. Although bulkier the 329 PD is only 8 or 9 oz heavier than a .357 LCR and close to that of my M60 in .357.

A titanium 5 shot .44 Spl on the L frame would be idea IMO. A 2" 329 Nightguard with a titanium cylinder would also be interesting
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The nightguard is on my list for soon to own!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

A titanium 5 shot .44 Spl on the L frame would be idea IMO. A 2" 329 Nightguard with a titanium cylinder would also be interesting

I have a model 66 snub and my wife has a 19 snub with laser grips. I like the simplicity and feel of these snubs.

Researching all the choices mentioned thus far, should be fun !

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I carried a 2.5" M19 with a round butt. If there's a more perfect 6 shooter .357 Mag carry gun, I haven't found it.

Both the 66 and the 19 are out of production but they made millions of them...shouldn't be too hard to find one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have two Smith and Wesson snubbies. The older is a model 10 with a shrouded hammer and a waist band catching horn thingy on the right side grip. It was (and still is) pretty cool. My newer one is a 642-2 rated to .38+P with no external hammer. The new one has a crimson trace in the grip, but I practice with using the open sights with the laser turned off.

What I like best is they both point and handle just like my other, larger Smith and Wessons. If I was an all Ruger guy I would be looking for a little Ruger. Not dissing them at all, Ruger is a fine gun, just the older I get the simpler I like my life to be. Except for one black powder front stuffer, all the pistols I have left are SWs.

I do agree .38Special is not an ideal outdoor winter time CC choice around here. I have other larger pistols for colder outdoor weather. In the right package .44Special might be a really good year round choice I am thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    ...I do agree .38Special is not an ideal outdoor winter time CC choice around here. I have other larger pistols for colder outdoor weather. In the right package .44Special might be a really good year round choice I am thinking.
    Yup, I carry a different gun in winter as well. That's why that 45 Colt snubbie appeals to me. That'd pack a heck of a wallop with some of these I"d think.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've gone through a couple iterations of carrying revolvers. Now a pocket carried M&P 340 with LG405 crimson trace grips is my go to summer carry weapon. I'll use 38+P gold dots for normal use and toss in some .357 for when I'm out riding a bike. In each case I carry an extra speed strip of ammo. While I have the CT grips on, I find them pretty much worthless during the day aas the dot washes out. That is one of the reasons I went with the M&P 340 as it has a HUGE front sight which make it remarkably quick and easy to get a good sight picture and shoot "accurately"....minute of man.

Other snubbies I've carried are an SP101 and a 442. The SP101 is too heavy, so I went to buy the 442. After some experimenting with the 442, I decided I didn't like the small sights and missed the .357 capability. I sold the 442 and bought the M&P 340. I still have the SP101 as it is nice and easy to push .357 through it.

If I did not want to pocket carry and chose a full size revolver, my go to gun would be my no dash model 66. That gun and its 4" barrel shoots like a dream.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

CC with a revolver is great, except most of them are Snubbies.

IMO, He who trusts his life to a Snubbie is exposing himself to great risk.

I ended up with an older S&W 3" barrel 38, and it's a pretty good gun, but 4" would be better.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've got one of the S&W 696 44 special 5 shot and love it. It is the right weight (heavy to some) but in is easy to manage and very accurate. I don't believe 5 shots are and impediment and it sure makes an impression when viewed from the front. They are hard to find now and the price has soared to over $1000. S&W does make the night guard in a similar configuration, the L frame is just what the Dr ordered. Jim

Does anyone have a S&W 686 .357 3", like-dislikes ?

To tag along with bashing the SP101 (I actually really like shooting it)--- in the 327 mag version at least, it has a blade style rear sight which hangs up when drawing, unless I do a conscious two step draw (rock back first). There are no aftermarket rears for this particular version. When I get back to AK, I should look to see if there's an option to mill out, and install a novak type sight.

My favorite CCW revolver is my 4" Python 357 with pachmeyer grips. With a pancake, it holds in nice and tight, and points/shoots as naturally and accurately as any gun I've ever shot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast