Thread: 300WM rounds

Default 300WM rounds

So I normally shoot either Hornady Custom 165's or Fusion 180's out of my 300. They've always patterned the best in my gun and I haven't had anything wander off afterwards with them, goat to midwest whitetails and black bear. Decided this spring I'm going to start looking for my Brownie. I have factory Federal's that are loaded with Nosler Partition 180's, they didn't pattern well past 100yds so I stuck wiht theother rounds. Only other thing I can find on island is Remington Accubounds in 200gr, gettign ammo up here is a pain do to shipping from what I'm told. I can get the Nosler's to pattern well enough at 100yds for me to be comfy with them. Question is....Should I stick with the Nosler's or slide up to the Accubonds? I'm pretty confident the Nosler's will do the job, especially since I'm not shooting a bear out past 75/100yds, just looking for opinions. I don't reload, don't plan on it,I don't shoot enough to bother with it, I know my limitaions and my guns, and they exceed the distance I will shoot an animal, that I'm not worried about.

The Accubonds are a Nosler bullet and are getting great field reports on big game but I have not heard of anyone using them on big bears yet. With that said the Partition is a known performer and if it groups well out to 100 yards that is what I would go with instead of being the test dummy.

If I were in your situation I am sure I could find someone I know in my community that I trust who reloads and see if they would work up some loads for me in whatever component combination that yields the end result I am looking for whether that be accuracy, bullet performance or a combination of both. Who knows that same person may need some help or need some type of service that you can provide.
    I have read, heard and seen many great results with Barnes TSX bullets. If I went with the option I just described I would start with these 180gr TSX BT with a BC of .453 over anything else. If it doesn't work out then I would look around for a different bullet.

The 200gr Accubonds work extremely well, they don't retain as much weight as the TSX do simply because they still have a lead core instead of being all copper. If you reload or know someone who does, it is pretty easy to get them going 3000+ fps with 4200 ft/lbs. The bullet will retain between 70 and 80% of its weight, and depending on the range that speead and knockdown power should be sufficient. I like Retumbo with mine. It is a compressed charge but shoots extremely well.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I second the 180grain TSX. That is a solid performer. You can keep the speed up and still have super penetration and minimal reduction in bullet weight. I am testing some 168 grainers on my 300wby and getting away from the nosler 180 grainers to keep the speed and flat shooting traits and still have speed and retention. If you don't want to reload or know anyone who does then ask a friend that heads to Anchorage to pick you up a few boxes of rounds. Don't just settle on what is in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I second the 180grain TSX. That is a solid performer. You can keep the speed up and still have super penetration and minimal reduction in bullet weight. I am testing some 168 grainers on my 300wby and getting away from the nosler 180 grainers to keep the speed and flat shooting traits and still have speed and retention. If you don't want to reload or know anyone who does then ask a friend that heads to Anchorage to pick you up a few boxes of rounds. Don't just settle on what is in Kodiak.
    I have to agree with AKbliss. I have used the federal premium 180 TSX in a 300wm to take Bear, Goat, Caribou, Kudo, Blue Wilderbeast, and Gemsbok and I've been very happy with the performance of the bullet.

+4 on the 180 TSX.

I use a M70 300 WM. I'm going to test out some 165gr Tipped TSX since I don't hand load. I've had good results from the 180 gr Winchester Silver Ballistic tip rounds, but decided to put some Barnes down range. I hope it works out well so I have a solid round for this years fly in sheep.
    I'll keep ya' posted.

Hunted with the 300 win mag for years. My go to bullet used to be the winchester fail safe and had great results, then moved to the 180 tsx and loved them.

Then again, for 30 + years my dad would fill his 300 win mag with the cheapest ammo he could find, and killed everything he shot at.

Much to much made of this bullet over that bullet ~ but its fun to talk about.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

FYI; I used to reload 210 & 250 nosler for 338 win.& 340 wea. Groups were similar to described. End "cure" was " J&B bore cleaner" . this was a disapating lapping compound. After a good reaming, then a good swabbing with patches, ie; my groups got good out to ??? . the guns would shoot better than I could from the bench, and much better than I in a hunting situation.

Make it to Anchorage much? Or any of your coworkers? You can have 50#'s of ammo in your checked luggage with alaska air! Must be in factory packaging. 3 bags in state travel, so shouldn't be a problem baggage wise. Just an option. Must be checked though, no carry on. My .300WM liked the 200gr Swift A Frames for brown bears, performed well with two pass throughs on a single bear, one broadside and the other quartering too in the pocket between the neck and shoulder, our collar bone area kinda. Penetrated and exited through the offside legs elbow! 44 yards away.