Thread: SportJon

Default SportJon

I have a deposit on a 2004 SportJon with 210 Merc SportJet (carbed). The rig has around 45 hours on it, and from the pictures looks like new. It's sill in transit from the lower 48 to the dealer; should be in Fairbanks soon. I'm going up next week to have a look and finalize the deal, if it all checks out.

Any of you guys have experience with this boat or engine? Anything I need to focus on when inspecting? What kind of fuel economy am I looking at? A friend up that way had the same boat and says he got about 6-7 gph with light load at cruising speeds, 9gph at WOT. Just wondering if most folks are getting about that, or if it's better or worse than average.

I plan on using it mainly for river running, but will occasionally go out into the inlet and PWS for halibut/trolling somewhat close to shore. It has a stomp grate; will that effectively clear kelp and other crap from the grate, or will I need a rake, and some way to tie myself to the swim deck to reach under and clear it?

Any other recommendations about this rig?

210 in a 2004 model? That would have either been a special order or the 175 got blown and they replaced it with the 210. Those gph numbers seem more like the 200 Optimax than the carbed motors also. Granted I only have first hand experience with the 175 carb and 200 DFI motors. Ask them about the history of the boat and motor is the first thing I'd do.

It says 210 SportJon on the side of the boat, so I'm pretty sure it's the original engine. The boat my friend has (who gave me the gph numbers) is the 210 carbed engine also; I think it's an '02 or '03.

Default sport jon

I think they made the 175, 210, and 240 before the 200EFI. Agree with Mod Elan, those gas #'s sound like the 200. I run the 175 and I think the best is around 8 gph.

So 6-7 might be a pipe dream? Realistically figure 9ish at cruising speeds?

Default 210?

Ok, what you are thinking is the horsepower is the length of the boat. I bought a 2006 last year and ran it all over southcentral. The motor is a 175 if it is carbed if not then it is a 200 fuel injected. I have the 200 and I am getting anywhere from 7-9gph depending on use. My buddy that I run with has the 175 carbed and he gets about the same fuel economy. One thing to check when you get it is the exhaust hose. I had a problem with it not being the right type of hose. I would recommend though that you go to compeaus and tell them you want the updated exhaust setup (it has a piece of alluminum inline). Beyond that any other questions you have I would be more than happy to reply. Bottomline- Ain't no other riverboat that can even come close!!!

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    Ok, what you are thinking is the horsepower is the length of the boat. I bought a 2006 last year and ran it all over southcentral. The motor is a 175 if it is carbed if not then it is a 200 fuel injected. I have the 200 and I am getting anywhere from 7-9gph depending on use. My buddy that I run with has the 175 carbed and he gets about the same fuel economy. One thing to check when you get it is the exhaust hose. I had a problem with it not being the right type of hose. I would recommend though that you go to compeaus and tell them you want the updated exhaust setup (it has a piece of alluminum inline). Beyond that any other questions you have I would be more than happy to reply. Bottomline- Ain't no other riverboat that can even come close!!!
    Nope, the motor is a 210hp SportJet (Craig Compeau himself told me this, and i'd say he's probably THE authority on SportJons). Not the Optimax (DFI), but a carbed 210. They've made them with the original 175 SportJet, 210 Carbed, 200 Opti, 240 (Fuel Injected, I think it's Optimax, but not positive) and 250 Optimax. The exhaust setup on this looks like 2 little beer kegs (one each side) under the swim deck.

Anyway, I was planning on spending about half the price of this boat for a used tunnel Jon with a Jet outboard. Craig sent me the DVD and my wife wanted a SportJon. Talking back and forth with Craig, he told me they have this one coming in, so i put a deposit on it and will go take a look next week. Should be a good rig for any river or lake in the state, except the Kenai--and should be okay for close in saltwater, too.

Have you had any problems clearing your jet? do you ever have to sharpen and shim the impeller? I had to do that quite a bit with the outboard jets I've had...I tend to find gravel bars. That's why I'm gonna have the jack and wheel kit put on this thing.

We have our impellor getting rebuilt and a stainless sleeve being installed in the housing as I type this. No shimming an inboard sportjet impellor. We are also having brass bushings done for the bucket pivots. In silty rivers we wore out the housing in 70 hours and dinged up the impellor on a couple of oops this summer. The stainless sleeve is suppose to last a lot longer. We have the jack and wheel kit, but have only use the jack so far. Stomp grate does fine for the occassional seaweed and stuff. We were in some HEAVY weeds and grass this summer and made it, but we were constantly stomping to try and cut the weeds off the grate. A rake would have helped a little. Craig is good at selling those boats, but we ended up with the Xtreme Shallow instead. Either one of these boats will get you farther up any river than you can imagine with this size of boat. One thing to mention is the tunnel hulls on these boats don't like rough water. You have to run a bit slower to keep from cavitating, but they are awesome in the shallows. Can't have the best of both worlds. Take a look at www.myboatforum.com and you will find more guys that will have info on the 210 motor.

I saw that Jetcraft XS at the Sportsman's show...Nice rig! Just the way it was set up doesn't allow as much room for hunting gear in the front (ATV, etc)...but better for fishing behind the console. Also, the price was about $15K more than I'm spending on the SportJon. SportJon, XS, Predator...pretty much the same general thing, ain't they...with a few differences, like the bottom thickness and positioning of strakes?

The bottom thickness and under floor fuel tank was the seller for the XS. On a new boat the console can be placed anywhere you want it when it is ordered. It can probably be moved later with different length cables and such. We still have plenty of room for a wheeler up front also. I know ours loves to be loaded heavy in the front. We carry almost all our gear and 80 gallons of extra fuel all in front of the consoles. We scored and found ours used also. Dang aluminum is expensive on the new ones!

Default Integral stern jack

I'll second the usefulness of the jack on the stern. I have the wheel kit too but did not find them as beneficial as you can only use them to push the boat forward or backward and the bog down in soft mud. If I had it to do over again, I would just order the jack. I carry about four 8' lengths of 3" PCV pipe. Just jack up the rig, place 3-4 segments of pipe under the boat, lower it down, and slide it any direction you like.

I had extra square tubing added just under the swim deck. I store the wheels back here so they are not underfoot in the boat. But mostly, the wheels just go along for the ride.

Default 20-06

I run the 20-06 with the 175. Great boat for the rivers here and what I want to do with it. The xs is a great boat also and has it good features too. Don't think you would go wrong with either boat. I don't understand why anyone would buy a jet boat with an outboard on it anymore. These boats are the cream of the crop for sure.

Weeds are a problem. I am going to sharpen the top of my stomp grate this summer to cut the weeds faster. I also grounded out the boat on a couple of gravel bars and very little rock was in the stomp grate. I think the tunnel keeps you from sucking them up there as I have been in outboard jest that were FULL of rocks and had to get a pry bar to get some out.

I am going to have to ask Mod Elan about the impeller, etc. as I want to make sure the we have things right on the boat before the summer is here. Hope to make a couple of trips this summer testing the "boat"!

HAS anyone found a place that make a take down canopy of the 20-06?

Default trim tabs

Has anyone put trim tabs on the sport jon or 20-06? I am considering welding some on.

Thanks,

Northway

Default Ak Roadkill

Pretty sure I saw that 210 sportjon go through Tok about 5:00 this evening! You are going to love your boat!

5 pm Friday sounds about right, from what they were telling me. Thanks for the update!

I've also had to pry rocks out of outboard jet pumps. Had to take the foot off in the middle of a river once to get the thing cleared out, too. I'm really counting on the stomp grate and tunnel to keep that kind of stuff from happening now.

Default northway...

Yup, that was probably it. Compeau's got it in this morning. I'll be heading up next weekend to take a look at it.

Default You will like it

You will enjoy your boat!

I understand the 210 doesn't get quite as good fuel economy as the 200 Optimax; does anyone know if there are any mechanical problems with the 210, or any advantages of the 200 over the 210? I think the carbed powerhead would be easier to fix if something went wrong way out in the middle of nowhere.