Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it safe?

Default is it safe?

my dad recently gave me his old 338... i have yet to shoot it because the stock scares me.. 20120325_183114.jpg

other than that crack its in beautiful shape... would you be willing to shoot this gun or would you first replace the stock

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    my dad recently gave me his old 338... i have yet to shoot it because the stock scares me.. 20120325_183114.jpg

other than that crack its in beautiful shape... would you be willing to shoot this gun or would you first replace the stock
    Things like that always concern me enough to replace the stock, much cheaper than being injured, maimed or worse.

My thoughts are if your questioning it then change it. Stocks are cheap. Try Boyds or some of the others out there. Depending on the stock it could be $100-$500. Either way, it would be cheaper than a visit to the doc for stiches or worse

Yip. Look at where the crack is bud! That's the top area of the most structural part of the stock that transfers recoil. One cold day, you could you end up with everything above that crack implanted into your right eye socket at a 338 win mag level of recoil. Your call though.............

sure is a shame... shes awful pretty... hope i can find a similar stock

how easy is it to screw up the replacement... something any competent person could do our should i take it to a smith

Piece of cake.

If it was mine I would fix it, but I know how and I'm cheap. I would fix it before I shot it though. You might want to check where the recoil lug bears on the stock to see if it's cracked there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If it was mine I would fix it, but I know how and I'm cheap. I would fix it before I shot it though. You might want to check where the recoil lug bears on the stock to see if it's cracked there as well.
    Same here, glue and pin it. There are some tricks to doing it well but it's cheap to do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What rbuck said. If its damaged there, it is probably damaged at the recoil lug as well. A good used Howa stock shouldn't be hard to find.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Another vote for repair it, you have nothing to loose.

My first 458 lott was a pawn shop special that included a cracked stock that was in much worse state than yours. I repaired the stock and it held up fine to the 458 lott recoil, though I did add a secondary recoil lug to the barrel. I even used the stock on my 500 Jeffrey. A stock in much worse shape properly repaired at home can handle double to triple the recoil of a 338.

Regarding your Rem 700 stock, the recoil should be transferred to the stock from the recoil lug where the barrel attaches to the action. My guess is there wasn't enough clearance around the rear trigger guard bolt and that is what caused the crack. So in addition to using epoxy and pins to fix the crack, make sure you increase the clearance around that rear bolt to prevent more damage in the future.

While 338's get the attention of your shoulder, they are far from the most abusive guns on stocks. I wouldn't hesitate repairing that stock and continuing to shoot the gun. I would recomend a thorough inspection of the stock for addional damage. You might find when removing the barreled action that there are some additional cracks where the stock has been inletted.
    Last edited by Paul H; 03-26-2012 at 11:19.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Its not a Remington. It is a Howa mfg. 1500 series rifle. Vanguard, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500, etc. It could surely be repaired, but a take off used stock should be pretty inexpensive, and a lot less work. It was obviously shot with the guard screws loose. Pretty common on this series of rifles, as the thread pitch is relatively coarse, and they are affected by vibration from 4 wheelers and such more easily.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Its not a Remington. It is a Howa mfg. 1500 series rifle. Vanguard, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500, etc. It could surely be repaired, but a take off used stock should be pretty inexpensive, and a lot less work. It was obviously shot with the guard screws loose. Pretty common on this series of rifles, as the thread pitch is relatively coarse, and they are affected by vibration from 4 wheelers and such more easily.
    your right... it is a howa model 1500... but what gives it away

It looks like a Howa, not a Remington. The shape of the rear tang, the shape of the bolt shroud, the shape and placement of the safety lever, the type of checkering on the stock, the shape of the bolt handle all scream "I'm a Howa"!

I just put a .338 on a carbilite stock. Much better for Alaska compared to wood stocks. Bedding it was simple and info is all over the internet. Here is a site for Carbilite. I picked the one with a thumbhole grip as well.
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...orester/Detail

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I just put a .338 on a carbilite stock. Much better for Alaska compared to wood stocks. Bedding it was simple and info is all over the internet. Here is a site for Carbilite. I picked the one with a thumbhole grip as well.
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...orester/Detail
    not really concerned with 'better for alaska'... she will spend most of her time in the case as i have other rifles... that and i think the wood looks WAY better than any composite or laminate stocks

It would be nice then to fix the stock, especially if you aren't going to be using it all the time. Wood holds memories better than steel.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Hit up 24hourcampfire.com and in the classified section, put a "Want to Buy" ad for a take off Howa stock...you'll find one right away, I'd bet...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend Setter View Post
    The proud ride height of the tang,peeled a sliver off the stock. BFD.

Run it as/is,less a worry.
    Hard to say, of course, just lookin at a picture, but I think Trend Setter is probably right, and it's probably safe enough to fire.

It looks to me, like a piece of the upper tang broke off along the grain lines, and was glued back on.

Take the action out and look at the rear action hole and see if it's split behind that, or other cracks.

If it were me, and I planned to shoot it, I'd take Gunbug's advice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

WARNING: IF THAT RIFLE IS A HOWA 1500 NOT SAFE TO FIRE UNTIL YOU VERIFY THAT THE BOLT SHROUD MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE BY THE FACTORY SERVICE CENTER OR THAT IT FALLS OUTSIDE THE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE OF DEFECTIVE RIFLES. THAT MODEL WAS RECALLED MANY YEARS AGO....

We have sent three bolts back for the mods this year...its a painless process. You can bring it by we can do it for you, or call and we can give you the number to call...which can be found fast by Googling Howa 1500 recall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast