Thread: sonar

Default sonar

what is the best hand held sonar

Ive only seen 1 the Marcum,but if ur going to persue lakers at harding the marcum hand held only goes down to 120ft.lately the fish have been 130+ft down so its not really worth it. ask ur self do u really want to spend 200+dollars to try to catch lakers and char.the next lake trout lake is more than 100 miles away. u can sight fish all the other lakes n north star bourough. just sumthen to think about.How much r u willing to pay to catch a fish.

I have had this 3 weeks, 199$ from overtons and 5$ shipping. I like knowing the exact depth im at, and its fun to see fish on it. this way if i dont see any fish i move on and try to find them. they say it can detect through the ice but i have not really been to successful with that yet- maybe because alaska ice is three feet thick with alot of air. i use it to find structure and move around mostly, i was not ready to buy a 400$ flasher but it gives you something to look at.

"f/64 and be there"

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    I have had this 3 weeks, 199$ from overtons and 5$ shipping. I like knowing the exact depth im at, and its fun to see fish on it. this way if i dont see any fish i move on and try to find them. they say it can detect through the ice but i have not really been to successful with that yet- maybe because alaska ice is three feet thick with alot of air. i use it to find structure and move around mostly, i was not ready to buy a 400$ flasher but it gives you something to look at.

It will shoot through the ice no problem but there are a couple of things you need to know to get it to work.
    First is you need clear ice (non of that milky white stuff) too many air bubbles in the ice and it won't work.
    Second the snow needs to be cleared right down to bare ice where you want to test.
    Third put the transducer flat on the ice and pour some water where it is sitting (the water acoustically couples the transducer to the ice so it can shoot through the ice) It will not shoot through with out a little puddle to sit in.
    I take a water bottle in my bait cooler for this purpose. I can usually test 8-10 spots with a regular sized water bottle and I refill after drilling my first hole.

and it will believe it or not shoot through a LOT more ice than most believe. I've had issues on quartz due to poor ice on some years and others have done well on 5+ feet of ice. Marking fish can be tough as your gain is set so high but not impossible. When I'm shooting through ice, my goal is, depth, structure, and baitfish...depending on what I'm fishing and where. You can USUALLY (not always) shoot throught that first couple inches of milky ice depending on density and depth.

I have the marcum lx5 and love it, have tinkered with the vexilars and they are good also. slightly different features. The marcum is more powerful and will wash out a vex side by side more often than not. They both have interference features...the marcum has more, which means when fishing with other flashers nearby, you can find a clear setting where the at times the vex guys will get off and on or some form of continous static. Not usually enough to keep from marking as much as it is annoying. Vex's have more accesories, ie versitilaty for other uses.

Something to think about money wise.....call the manufacter and buy refurbished (they come with the same warrenty as new) at half or so of full price.

The flatter the surface of the ice is the better. I've found in some places its extremely bumpy and you wont get a good read. When searching for structure in particular I'll drill just enough to smooth the surface and than shoot takes a couple seconds and you're really not going down. There's probably a simpler way I'm sure, though it Works well and saves blades when you're drill 5-6 feet of crystal clear george lake ice!

my buddy has the icemachine and likes it,though I havent looked at it or been around when he's had it going so I cant comment on it.

if you're not in a hurry I'd wait a little bit and see what comes up used. Also start looking online down south, those boys havent hardly had ice in years....ie smoking deals both new and used markets!

I have a Vexilar FL20 and a FL8sle
    Both in the pro packs. I like them a lot.
    The FL20 does go deeper down to 200' while the FL8 only goes to 120'.
    I will say that for my fishing the flasher does help me ice more fish.
    Of the two I own I prefer the FL20. Better screen and the bottom zoom is nice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"