Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Looking to buy my first Jet Boat

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default Looking to buy my first Jet Boat

    Ok I just got hooked (maybe a little more than that) it appears that I just took the hook, line, sinker and the pole.....

    Just got back from looking at a 17' Phantom SportsJet boat with the Optimax 200.

    This is a used boat that does not look like it has even been in shallow water not a ding or scratch on the bottom and the fishing setup on it makes me think it was just used in the deep lakes because it has Canon down riggers mounts, pole trolling holders front and rear depth finders..

    Ok the boat is a 2007 the engine compartment is clean, impellor looks to be good, no chips, dings or chunks missing...

    But now because I maybe "sold" on it bring it on and tell me what I'm overlooking....

    Oh yeah before I forget let me intro myself (newbie) I live in Utah ...ha ha haaa .. wait a minute before you jump to conclusions there.....Yes I drink, party and curse just like the rest of the normal world, rather be fishing than doing the #&%* yard

  2. #2
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    I have a SJX same type of boat and motor its a great and can run skinny water they are great boats what type of water do you run in? What is the person asking for the boat. Its sounds like a great boat. You already looked at the impeller so I would asume the sleave it good also. I can said this it will run in water that you can not believe, I love my boat every year I get into place I thought I couldnt get into they are a shallow running jet boat
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  3. #3
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    The bottom of a jet boat will usually tell you the boats life story along with the impellare and sleave. These are great boats for the rivers. Look over the boat and ask lots of questions. How does he winterize it is a very good question and can give you insight on if he just runs it or runs and maintains it. Take it for a spin and see how she starts, how she runs. Good luck, nothing funner than buying a new toy!

  4. #4
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Ya buddy!!! As the rest say, if it looks good and is in good condition, take it for a ride and buy it. I have a phantom sport john 60/40 with the 200 opti and can run 40 knots in 2+ inches of water. Its fricken unbelievable and it floats/gets up on step in 8 inches and two boat lengths at the most. For skinny water and getting way higher up the river than most, its an awseomse boat... good luck... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  5. #5
    Member Longkj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Hours? If you dont know how many hours are on it I would be very skittish. A boat is only as good as the guy selling it. Just so you know... Once you buy this boat the disease only gets worse! You will be looking for your next boat before you know it.

    SportJet's are great boats. Hope it works out for ya!

    "TIGHT LINES"

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Ok let me try to cover all the questions in one post.... it has 196 hours, full record for every darn thing ever done on it such as winterizing, PM work, and everything else all done at the same place....

    Now it is not a SJ (Sports Jon) it is a Sportsman model same as the one on Phantom's website but ahhhh just not quite as pretty and it is a 17 foot one.

    And as Longki said about the disease .... too late buddy I have already been hit with it when I got my first fishing boat that actually came from Alaska, an older SmokerCraft that I totaly rebuilt and enjoyed for one season but now it is time to move the "old" out and move up to a real machine...

    Bob the Fisher ... I lurked at this site for 2 weeks reading all the Old posts from when you first joined before you got your SJX .. **** I was rolling on the floor laugthing so hard at the posts of the mystery new guy and who it was... that was some good reading guys...

    Skybust, I did not yet look at the sleeve because Until I read your reply it was sleeve? whats the sleeve? and now that I know what it is and know how to inspect it that is on the list.

    Also correct me if I am wrong but I also have been reading that the Reedset should be replaced before the powerhead reachs 240 hours? (Optimax 200)

    Alaskbiss ... yeah If I get this unit fun I will have...... Thanks

  7. #7
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    WickedWilly,

    Just to clear it up, I have a Phantom Sport Jon 60/40... MADE IN THE USA... and not an sjx... MADE IN CHINA... America First brother... "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWilly View Post
    Ok let me try to cover all the questions in one post.... it has 196 hours, full record for every darn thing ever done on it such as winterizing, PM work, and everything else all done at the same place....

    Now it is not a SJ (Sports Jon) it is a Sportsman model same as the one on Phantom's website but ahhhh just not quite as pretty and it is a 17 foot one.

    And as Longki said about the disease .... too late buddy I have already been hit with it when I got my first fishing boat that actually came from Alaska, an older SmokerCraft that I totaly rebuilt and enjoyed for one season but now it is time to move the "old" out and move up to a real machine...

    Bob the Fisher ... I lurked at this site for 2 weeks reading all the Old posts from when you first joined before you got your SJX .. **** I was rolling on the floor laugthing so hard at the posts of the mystery new guy and who it was... that was some good reading guys...

    Skybust, I did not yet look at the sleeve because Until I read your reply it was sleeve? whats the sleeve? and now that I know what it is and know how to inspect it that is on the list.

    Also correct me if I am wrong but I also have been reading that the Reedset should be replaced before the powerhead reachs 240 hours? (Optimax 200)

    Alaskbiss ... yeah If I get this unit fun I will have...... Thanks
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Might be made in America, but it's sold/pushed by a chinamen!








    I am sorry, I couldn't help myself...

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    WickedWilly,

    Just to clear it up, I have a Phantom Sport Jon 60/40... MADE IN THE USA... and not an sjx... MADE IN CHINA... America First brother... "fishon"

    oh shoot just shot myself in the foot there did not know the differents so a sjx is not a Phantom then? I can't imaging a boat made in china....me being all of 6'3" just don't think I would fit.....

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Sounds like a nice boat. The only thing to ask question about is the motor. Reeds and compression check. If that checks out welcome family of sport jet and trash talking..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  11. #11
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    My phantom and its parts came from the USA and were assembled in the USA. There was no chinamen involved whatsoever!!!... "fishon"



    Quote Originally Posted by akboater80 View Post
    Might be made in America, but it's sold/pushed by a chinamen!








    I am sorry, I couldn't help myself...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    My phantom and its parts came from the USA and were assembled in the USA. There was no chinamen involved whatsoever!!!... "fishon"
    oh oh looks like I ignited a Phantom made in USA passion fire......

    Ok so now lets move on to another in dept question concerning the Optimax 200 ... The ReedSet is that something I will be able to inspect myself (yeah I do have a clue how to use tools) or will I have to trust and pay to have it done?

  13. #13
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Sorry ya'll, guess I get a littler bent out of shape when it comes to my country.

    Regarding the ReedSet in the 200 opti. I heard that they should be checked and or replaced at either 100 hours, or at 200 hours or even at 240 hours. Can someone please set that straight. How many hours. Also, that would be a Certified Mercury Mechanic thing right? Thanx for the info... "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWilly View Post
    oh oh looks like I ignited a Phantom made in USA passion fire......

    Ok so now lets move on to another in dept question concerning the Optimax 200 ... The ReedSet is that something I will be able to inspect myself (yeah I do have a clue how to use tools) or will I have to trust and pay to have it done?
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Sorry ya'll, guess I get a littler bent out of shape when it comes to my country.

    Regarding the ReedSet in the 200 opti. I heard that they should be checked and or replaced at either 100 hours, or at 200 hours or even at 240 hours. Can someone please set that straight. How many hours. Also, that would be a Certified Mercury Mechanic thing right? Thanx for the info... "fishon"

    Sorry for what? dude I buy local made products, set items back on the shelf when I see "made in china" on the bottom and do really think that we all need to support our own country the best we can.....

    Ok not everything I have is made in USA my Land Rover is from England and I ...... have a Toyota oh no here it comes..... got a Benz in the stable too parked right next to my 54 Chev pickup with my American made St. Croix Fishing Rods <-------- maybe I'll get forgivend if I mention that... and I live 5 miles from a very large USAF base in a Very USA area of Utah.

    and that is Ok it is Just the liquer laws around here that really blows it's a Mo-mo thing ... (mormon thing) to press their ways on others... but I'll keep religion out of it because I got my thing and they can have "snicker".... their thing.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah ha ha haaa
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Well after an awful bunch of inspections, considerations and Questions here questions there several trips to look and the boat and other boats several calls here and there, reading a ton of Posts on this Forum (actualy I like this forum) I made a decison about buying the Phantom Sportsman Jet Boat........

    I did me a shot of Crown Black and after I tossed it back I brought the boat.

    Yup it has been made in USA and it is going to keep me up late for awhile doing mods and looking at what others have done to their Fine boats when I get to the point I am allowed to post an picture I most certainly will.

  16. #16
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    [/QUOTE]I did me a shot of Crown Black and after I tossed it back I brought the boat.[/QUOTE]

    Congrats on the new boat. And you couldn't have started it any better way.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  17. #17
    Member halibutcollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    111

    Default

    congrats on the new boat. and like Mike said, welcome to the world of sport jets and trash talkin!

  18. #18
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Now that we talked you into it, welcome to the broke and out of funds crowd!!! Kidding, kinda

  19. #19
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWilly View Post
    I did me a shot of Crown Black and after I tossed it back I brought the boat.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that stuff's made in the good 'ol USA.

  20. #20
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Sweeeet!!! That's the style of The Phantom that's larger (more v shaped in bow) than the SportJon right? Getting the 350 Chevy Vortec? Or guna try a FNM Diesel? ha ha ha... Is it the hard top or the soft top model? Either way, its guna be a badass boat and if you are really a boater, then your guna love it. Riton! Riton!... will be lookin forward to some pix... "fishon"



    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWilly View Post
    Well after an awful bunch of inspections, considerations and Questions here questions there several trips to look and the boat and other boats several calls here and there, reading a ton of Posts on this Forum (actualy I like this forum) I made a decison about buying the Phantom Sportsman Jet Boat........

    I did me a shot of Crown Black and after I tossed it back I brought the boat.

    Yup it has been made in USA and it is going to keep me up late for awhile doing mods and looking at what others have done to their Fine boats when I get to the point I am allowed to post an picture I most certainly will.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •