Thread: Seward in September?

Default Seward in September?

I received some great information on hear in 2010 went on a family Alaska trip. This time it'll be the wife and myself on a fishing trip and kinda honeymoon. We thought Seward was awesome, and fished one day with Saltwater Safari, it was a good trip for Silvers. We were thinking about going up for a week over Labor day. A couple of questions, how's the weather and what should we be looking at for best fishing opportunities both salt and freshwater? Any other "fun" things to take in while on the peninsula that time of year? Is fishing generally better out of Seward or is it worth heading down to Homer? We covered the general "tourist" destinations last time we were there, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also any particular guides or charters suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

Mike

Come before the holiday, maybe even mid august. everything tends to wind after labor day. Make sure you have reservation for your fishing well in advance and I would go with someone out of J Dock. My family and I wouldn't go with anyone else, they put ya on the fish

My experience with September is that the weather starts getting "iffy" the more you get into the month. The fish are more reluctant to bite, the salmon mostly gone, and the trip less ejoyable. However, if you can pick your days, there still is good fishing and weather. I have done well at the head of the bay for late arriving silvers early in the month and gone to the capes for halibut and done as well as ever. It is the weather window that can be challenging. In a lot of years, September is when the North Gulf Coast starts getting pounded with large storms. Other years, things stay calmish until October. Like it was mentioned, Seward pretty much rolls the carpet up after Labor Day Weekend and calls it a year.

There is good news in this too though. You will just about have the whole town to yourself and be able to do what you want without waiting in lines.

Thanks for the suggestions. We were up there over the 4th of July and it was pretty crazy, this time we're just there to fish and relax, less people is a good thing. Hopefully the first week of September will still be decent weather wise and a lot less tourists, at least fishing. Do many guides quit fishing and start hunting that time of year? I was pricing some lodging and ran across Daniels Guide Service in Homer, he's got a few houses to rent, does anyone have any experience with him as a guide or personally? We really don't have a preference as to where we stay, probably Homer or Seward just so we don't have to spend much time driving. Any personal suggestions for any guides or lodging in either town are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 00rowe View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. We were up there over the 4th of July and it was pretty crazy, this time we're just there to fish and relax, less people is a good thing. Hopefully the first week of September will still be decent weather wise and a lot less tourists, at least fishing. Do many guides quit fishing and start hunting that time of year? I was pricing some lodging and ran across Daniels Guide Service in Homer, he's got a few houses to rent, does anyone have any experience with him as a guide or personally? We really don't have a preference as to where we stay, probably Homer or Seward just so we don't have to spend much time driving. Any personal suggestions for any guides or lodging in either town are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Mike
    4th of July Weekend = Mt. Marathon in Seward! If you love crowds and get there well in advance of the race/activities, you "might" find a place to camp or park an RV. Otherwise...pick another weekend! September is a little more "iffy" for weather but also a beautiful time of the year in Alaska. Rent an RV in out of Anchorage and take your time driving down and looking around at various campgrounds.
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

To me, for a kick back relaxing local I prefer Homer. In addition to fishing you can take a water taxi over the Halibut Cove Lagoon and hike the trails, or head over to Seldovia to check out a spot that is a bit off the beaten path. Just walking up and down the spit is a good way to spend an afternoon.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

+1 on Homer for the relaxation and fishing, but I would recommend booking your trip even just a week before Labor Day. We went fishing last year on Labor Day weekend and the spit was definitely winding down. Seldovia was a ghost town and I believe Halibut Cove closes down on or before September 1st. The fishing wasn't fast, but was fine. The weather starts getting wicked around Labor Day as well.

during labor day weekend last year hurricane force winds were blowing into hinchinbrook entrance

Quote Originally Posted by 00rowe View Post

Mike
    Have stayed in one of Daniels Houses and fished with him for winter kings. I was pleased with the accomodations and the fishing too. I recommend him.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Homer in early September is awesome. Most of the tourists are gone, there will still be silvers around (assuming they show up at all) and the halibut fishing should still be good. Things are winding down but still lots of good stuff to do. Weather can be hit or miss. I got married in Homer on Labor day weekend (on the beach in front of Lands End) 9 years ago. It rained all week and on the big day it was bright and sunny, we limited out on Silvers the day before and a few before that we killed the halibut/rockfish and even a couple of Ling Cod... Roll the dice and have fun. Even if the weather sucks Homer is still a cool place to hang out and enjoy.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for all the help. The only time we can make it up is that week and having labor day in there saves us both a vacation day. We're from Minnesota and enjoy the outdoors year round, so as long as the hurricane force winds stay away, we'll have fun fishing. Thanks again.

Mike

Mike,
    That being said, I echo JR2 in saying that Homer is a cool place to stay and hang out regardless of the weather.

One Plus for Homer that no one has mentioned yet is the fact that the Homer Brewing Company is in Homer !

Old John, That's a selling point right there!!!

Mike