Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck boat paint.

Default Duck boat paint.

Can anyone give me some help on what paint to use on the Jon boat I'm fixing up? I have found Parker coatings duck boat paint online but they won't ship it to me. Does anyone know of anywhere local I could get paint shipped or where I could buy a good duck boat paint?

Thanks!

Lee.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I am going to be bringing up some Go Devil Green in cans about May 1. I have run into the same problem with shipping so when I am down there getting boats I am bringing it back myself. PM me on how to buy. Duckdon

I've used the camo paint you find at Fred Meyer on two different boats and been happy with both.Attachment 58411
    Fin - N - Tonic

I have seen a sherwin williams product - KEM 400 - used on a tin boat and a Jeep up here. Looked great and lasted.

Search KEM 400 on the net and you will find it referenced in several duck boat painting threads and even equipment painting threads.

Here is one comment from MudmotorTalk.com

Here is the deal on KEM-400 by Sherwin. You need to get it from a Chemical Coatings store - NOT your neighborhood Sherwin-Williams store. CC stores are found in major metro areas. When the store blends it up for you make sure they knock the sheen down to 2-5% reflectance. They can do this with additives at the time of mixing. If you do not get this done, the paint will not be flat, as KEM-400 straight out of the can is glossy. I have a gallon of the "Gator Boat Brown", the custom color that Gator Trax uses for their boats. Although the name would imply brown, this is actually an o.d. color that will not end up looking "kermit the frog" green like some o.d. green paints on the market.

KEM-400 sprays easily through an HVLP gun, dries quickly and wears like iron. Like any topcoat, it performs best over a properly prepped and primed boat.

There are a lot of good boat paints out there, but for me you can't beat KEM-400.

parker duck boat paint in green bay,wi. 920-494-9676 will ship to your home. i had 4 gallons and a 6 pack of spray cans sent to me when i did the air boat. you have to talk to them at the factory and pay a haz-mat fee. 25 bucks i think? well worth it because you cut it 10% with mineral spirits and can shoot it through a gun. also they offer the best colors ,that are no glare in gal,quart and spray can IMO.Attachment 58412

Hmmm I will call them. But i've tried to order parker paint off their site and they said will not ship to alaska. cabelas wouldnt send it here either. I hope that works.

Lee,

I bought that regular camo paint in the can at Lowes, Home Depot..had some stencils and it worked great..just touch it up as it is used primary for duckhunting. I did take a round wire brush, a drill and roughed up the areas before applying it..but overall worked great. You might be giving this to much thought unless you are really working on a custom job. As long at it has the tan and some dark green contrast..should fool the eyes of an ol' Greenhead. Touch it up with some marshgrass and presto!..duckboat..lol

Have fun
    H
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I just worry
    About the durability of spray paint. Does it hold up under the waterline???

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I just worry
    If the ducks can see the paint on the bottom of your boat, then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Default Question is..

IS spray paint over a zinc chromate primer on an aluminum boat going to be as durable as a paint from a gallon jug that you would put in a spray gun and apply that way? Durability is obviously of interest and not wanting to touch it up after every trip out. Anyone have any experience with something other than spray cans have any input??? I would like a comparison in durability. May be a little anal about the job we do on this boat but I want it to not only look good but last for years to come.

U r anal about everything...

375 did you call parker? i just went through this and im way more anal than huntNfish!!!! clean your boat, sand and rough up boat with sand paper,clean boat again, spray base coat well, thin coats multi times with a GUN, use parker duck boat paint. done deal man ive done this for 30 yrs with parker paint. its really the prep work that allows durability!!!!!!!

LOL.. brother..mine has not washed off and after being drug, brushed with thousands of weeds, grass and the occasional tree..seems to be holding up well.

I personally think you would be good to go. BUT..if you are looking for a more professional approach, then I would go with he parker paint system as described.

Like to see pictures when finished..

I just worry
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Glad to see someone else out there who takes pride in there work, not to say someone who uses spray cans doesn't. But thanks for your support.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    375 did you call parker? i just went through this and im way more anal than huntNfish!!!! clean your boat, sand and rough up boat with sand paper,clean boat again, spray base coat well, thin coats multi times with a GUN, use parker duck boat paint. done deal man ive done this for 30 yrs with parker paint. its really the prep work that allows durability!!!!!!!

I spoke with parker 3 times today...each time they said they'd call back in 30 minutes with a price. They never did. If they don't care to make the sale soon they won't make the sale and I'm rattle canning the boat. Sooooo which base color woul dyou guys pick? tan or the classic green?...obviously with tan we go to darker camo stencil markings...with green we go lighter...

I have had really good luck with rattle cans. I add a couple coats of flat clear which helps a lot. As mentioned before, prep is huge.

Call me crazy, but, I like to start with a dark brown. I use dark brown, light brown, a touch of green and knock it all down with black.

how about a slick bottom paint? anyone do any of those...the mud motor forum guys talk about that sometimes...I'm starting to feel a little less hesitant about rattle canning the boat...there is no more loose paint on the boat...it is down to bare aluminum on 99% of the boat...a couple small corner spots that the wire wheel wont fit into.

Go for it brother...Sounds like you have done your research and prepped the boat. I might work on a small area first and see what you think before you tackle the whole thing. I would as stated..go with at least two coats with dark brown or the green, then hit it with your stencile set in the light brown. If you are using this for duckhunting..you will have no issues after this. Then make or buy a folding or pup up blind system and you ware G2G.

A buddy of mine made a popup blind system out of 1in square tubing and it rocks, cheaper and just as good as the original one I am sure. I have used it for the last few years with great results. We might be able to get a pattern from his and make a few more...it adjust for a 12ft-14ft boat..pretty neat system.

Good luck and post some pics..

how about a slick bottom paint? anyone do any of those...the mud motor forum guys talk about that sometimes...I'm starting to feel a little less hesitant about rattle canning the boat...there is no more loose paint on the boat...it is down to bare aluminum on 99% of the boat...a couple small corner spots that the wire wheel wont fit into.

They are using Frog Spit or Flex Steel for airboat bottoms that often run over grass and mud. I have not used it since I don't really need it on my little boats. For my next wooden boat I will be building up a carbon graphite thickened epoxy coated bottom which works well for making a hull slippery when wet for sliding over grass and stuff.

If you are folks still looking at quality gun sprayed paint skip the shipping hassle with Parker and go to Sherwin Williams Commerical store here in Anchorage and buy the KEM 400. If its good enough for Gator Trax to use on their production boats, it should be good enough for you.

There are also auto body paints you can buy locally. You can get the paint store to mix nearly any color you want. The Ditzler PPG automotive paints have been the primary supplier to the US military for decades. These paints can be flattened and mixed to many different colors. Sam Devlin even recommends PPG paints for the boats he sells plans for. The one he lists in his duck boat plans can be rolled on rather than sprayed. I can't recall what the code/series is and it does not show it on his website.

With good surface prep the modern rattle can paints will work well. They are also easy to repair each year. There are materials you can buy from a auto paint store to prep the surface. However, based on various results posts around the net I don't think you would gain much when using the rattle can paint. Lots of posts about etching primers and what not, but rattle can paint sticks either way it appears.

Lou Tisch at Lock Stock and Barrel has a great boat painting "how to" on his website. It is aimed at using his FME paint, but the tech is the same for any paint. Look down the left side to a MS word document on boat painting. Some of us duck boat snobs will tell you that FME is the only paint to use. Too bad it is so flammable that Lou can no longer easily ship the stuff to Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast