Thread: Halibut fishing around Homer

Default Halibut fishing around Homer

I have a 20 foot boat and would like ti fish for Halibut around the Homer area. Can I catch fish close to Homer?

How far out do I have to go? When does the Halibut season start? Anything biting the last two weeks of June?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm coming from Ohio and the size fish we catch here is what you guys use for bait.

Thanks, Sailcal

Yes you can and not only catch fish you can do better than than 99% better than anyone!! If you want to know when where and how I will PM you.

Can't PM you but if you can PM me I will help you!

Quote Originally Posted by sailcal View Post
    I have a 20 foot boat and would like ti fish for Halibut around the Homer area. Can I catch fish close to Homer?

How far out do I have to go? When does the Halibut season start? Anything biting the last two weeks of June?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm coming from Ohio and the size fish we catch here is what you guys use for bait.

Thanks, Sailcal
    Check your tides (google seldovia 2012 tides) and fish on the slack tides. two hours plus or minus on high and low tides. if weather is good fish anyplace you can keep your bait on bottom.
    I am a little worried about this 20 ft boat are you bringing it with you?

There are a gazillion answers to your question in this forum if you do a search. Also, answers to the question "is my boat too small for Kachemak Bay"...

Cliffhanger great job on derby day !!!!! As for if your boat is to small or not that is up to you. All you have to do is use good judgement, if the weather is going to gets bad later in the day go early, or just don't go that day. If the weather get bad hide, if you can't hide just remember it is better to walk then to swim There are so many good fishing spots that most people fly by on thier way to a fast chicken hole that it makes me sick.If you want to catch great fish to eat and have a shot at some very big fish just learn to fish that is all it takes if you want to learn let me know.

Charterboat Operator

I want to learn!!!!!!! Me! Me! Me! Pick Me!!!!

Thanks MGH55 for your offer. For your information ....my boat is a 20 Aluminum Starcraft with a 8 foot beam and canvas enclosure. Powered by a 135 HP OB and 10 HP kicker. I have fished for salmon out of Valdez in a 17 ft fiberglass boat and went as far as several miles past the narrows. I have halibut chartered out of Homer and it seemed the Captain went quite a ways out and it was rough....I don't know if it was a normal day or not. I just want to be careful as my wife and I are in our late 60's and don't want to get in over our heads. We have done a lot of different boating including sailing several hundred miles off the Florida coast but there is a world of difference between Florida and Alaska. One additional question, is the Halibut fishing good all summer long out of Homer? We plan to get therearound the 2nd week of June and stay until the 1st of August when we will go to Valdez.
    Thanks, Cal Rose sailcal@aol.com

There are halibut there all year...they will be in full-swing in june.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have pretty much the same boat, and have fished Homer about 10 times. I have tried to fish it about 30. I've found that up here our boats are right on the edge of useful on the salt. My boat is pretty light too, and while it could be in bigger waves than I've had it, it would toss you around something fierce. For me fuel is a real concern out of Homer as well. I can go about 25 miles roundtrip on my tanks. Soldovia is doable, and you can re-fuel there. (maybe 10nm? Somebody help). Then there is the compass rose area. For me that's all I feel safe with. If you have a plotter GPS then you are set for good weather and can find fishable spot. My first good spots I got at from the bait shop on the spit. Support local business, be nice, and ask questions........always a good idea. I hear Deep Creek is better for boats our size, but then it's the tractor launch. Honestly I've always been intimidated by that one.
    I feel more comfortable in Seward personally. I have never actaully made it all the way out of the bay. The narrows and islands can be good fishing though.

There are really a ton of old thread that are great on this topic. I used to think telling someone to read those threads was a polite kind of brush off. However, those threads sometimes have amazing, informative replies. The kind you don't feel like re-typing everytime someones asked. I check them out all the time now.

Capt Nemo, the only one I can think of that could up your game would be Dave

Thanks Akbrownsfan, I appreciate the information.

I have seen Halibut caught less than a mile from the Homer harbor... just go out and try. I remember back when I was a kid it was a big deal to make the "run" out to the bouy and fish there... now that bouy is just another thing we pass on the way out. Watch your depth finder, find some structure and fish it. Never know what you might catch...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Go out around Seldovia and you'll generally catch some fair sized halibut. Using herring, you'll catch some fifteen-pounders, sometimes a thirty-pounder from my experiences. If you're looking for big fish, go out by Flat Island(big as in hundred-pounders). My family has an boat around your size, and Seldovia is mostly where we go. However, around Seldovia is where the Irish Lords hang out, and believe me, you want no part of those. Once you catch one, move about a mile away, because you'll just keep catching and catching them.

I have caught many fish out of a 20' boat out of Homer and even anchor point.
    I have also been caught in some 5' seas that came from out of nowhere in a matter of @ 5 or 10 minutes.
    I have also caught fish 5 minutes or less from the harbor.
    Generally when fishing that close it is an all day affair of 6-8 hours to get a limit of chickens for 3-4 people.
    That's why I usually run 15-20+ miles and usually find much faster action and bigger fish.
    I will say Lining up with main street can usually put a few chickens in the boat with a little patience.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I caught my first halibut within 4 miles of the harbor and it was 40lbs. We went to the same spot the next year and I hooked onto a halibut that bent my pole over and was heavier by far than anything I have caught in the past. I'm guessing atleast 100+ pounds, unfortunately my dull hook wasn't set very well. It's very possible on a calm day around slack tide, we were using a 16' skiff. Just go out and drop some smelly bait, if halibut are around you should know within 15-20 minutes. Be advised when the tides shift weather would almost always pick up and we would have to head in.

Quote Originally Posted by sailcal View Post
    Thanks MGH55 for your offer. For your information ....my boat is a 20 Aluminum Starcraft with a 8 foot beam and canvas enclosure. Powered by a 135 HP OB and 10 HP kicker. I have fished for salmon out of Valdez in a 17 ft fiberglass boat and went as far as several miles past the narrows. I have halibut chartered out of Homer and it seemed the Captain went quite a ways out and it was rough....I don't know if it was a normal day or not. I just want to be careful as my wife and I are in our late 60's and don't want to get in over our heads. We have done a lot of different boating including sailing several hundred miles off the Florida coast but there is a world of difference between Florida and Alaska. One additional question, is the Halibut fishing good all summer long out of Homer? We plan to get therearound the 2nd week of June and stay until the 1st of August when we will go to Valdez.
    Thanks, Cal Rose sailcal@aol.com
    Cal
    One thing no one has mentioned yet.. If it's a little bumpy and you don't want to venture too far out. go over near the bluffs and set in the kelp beds. about 5 fathom.. If you go over closer (but not too close) to Anchor point you have the possibility of catching a king cruising the kelp beds, as well as some big halibut. It's slower fishing in the kelp.. and you do run the risk of a skate taking your bait.. but it's fishing..!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Cal
    One thing no one has mentioned yet.. If it's a little bumpy and you don't want to venture too far out. go over near the bluffs and set in the kelp beds. about 5 fathom.. If you go over closer (but not too close) to Anchor point you have the possibility of catching a king cruising the kelp beds, as well as some big halibut. It's slower fishing in the kelp.. and you do run the risk of a skate taking your bait.. but it's fishing..!
    And if you get really lucky you will catch a "chicken eater". My brother who guided out of Homer for 4 years caught the biggest Halibut his boat ever caught in the kelp.. 250 lb'er in 25 ft of water. He said when it ran it looked like a giant weed eater was mowing the kelp.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    And if you get really lucky you will catch a "chicken eater". My brother who guided out of Homer for 4 years caught the biggest Halibut his boat ever caught in the kelp.. 250 lb'er in 25 ft of water. He said when it ran it looked like a giant weed eater was mowing the kelp.
    The problem with catching a "kelp mama" in 25 or 30 ft of water is, you don't have a chance to tire them out pulling them up from 35 or 40 Fathom, so they start right off with lots of attitude. I've seen a couple derby winners lost because the fisher-person tried to horse them in too soon..