Thread: Rep 101

Default Rep 101

This whole "Rep" (reputation) thing is new to me. I only just realized, after reading where some folks have mentioned it, that I have "Rep" and (partially) who gave it to me.....I think. Yes, I read what it is and what it's for, but it's still a bit vague to me. I am just wondering what your personal thoughts are about it? I think the first time I ever heard about it was when I read on a members post..."hey what's a guy gotta do around here to get a rep?"

So what's the Rep "etiquette" so to speak? Is it customary to thank people after they give you rep? When do most of you feel it is a good time to give rep? I mean I've felt like giving a person some rep after they made me laugh out loud from one of their posts....is this a reason to give rep or not?

So how bout' a schooling on "Rep" from you forum members that are in the know about such things?

Thanks.....

If you think a person added something real good to a post hit the rep. star and comment. For your reps if you click on it you will go to the post that made you famous.So how about a rep for this great info,just kidding of course,no I'm not,yes I am LOL
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My personal thoughts: What I really like about the system is it gives me an opportunity to thank a member for an excellent contribution without having to make a public post that say "great post" or something along those lines. I don't pay any attention to the number of green boxes that someone has under their name (which is linked to the rep system), as that is often more a measure of how long they've been here instead of the quality of their posts. Rather, I just think of it as a way to give someone a pat on the back when they add to the forums. I generally give rep comments for posts that are particularly thoughtful, helpful, or insightful. At times, though, yes...I'll give it for just making me laugh, as that's a great part of the forum experience as well. As for etiquette, the only thing I would add is that I always sign my name to a rep comment. It's nice knowing who found your post helpful, so to that end I always sign mine. I don't, however, think it is necessary for someone to thank the person who gave them rep. Nothing formal is necessary or expected - it's just a way of offering an atta-boy and encouraging further quality posts.

Thanks. So if you look in your "User CP" and the reps, if the person doesn't sign what they said, there is no way to know who gave you the rep?

Pay for Premium Member Status and you can see who left the rep. Otherwise, no.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Oh YA!! "Bling Bling" rep points!! Thats why were here, and someday Ill trade them for ammo.........

Im all repped up, dammit, like $$ in the internet bank, Coins on farmville or this letter from Nigeria that says I will help this Dude get millions outta the country with adirect deposite to my account, so i sent him all my info and numbers ............ and since I cant get no more green "Bling", so Ive decided to stop making sense........ still.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I gave up on the rep thing a while ago. I give it out whenever I agree with or like a post for its content, but with the exception of a few regulars, have not recieved much...
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I gave up on the rep thing a while ago. I give it out whenever I agree with or like a post for its content, but with the exception of a few regulars, have not recieved much...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hunt'N'Photos again.

Say what?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I said there were a few!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Ahhh the rep thing I personally give it to those whom I respect for a post or point of view that I may share or someone helping another forum member simply to help.I may and have even give it to those who I completely disagree with simply because they have made a good logical point to the topic at hand.I like the idea of being able to just send that litle note that says I respect you...simple as that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    This whole "Rep" (reputation) thing is new to me. I only just realized, after reading where some folks have mentioned it, that I have "Rep" and (partially) who gave it to me.....I think. Yes, I read what it is and what it's for, but it's still a bit vague to me. I am just wondering what your personal thoughts are about it? I think the first time I ever heard about it was when I read on a members post..."hey what's a guy gotta do around here to get a rep?"

So what's the Rep "etiquette" so to speak? Is it customary to thank people after they give you rep? When do most of you feel it is a good time to give rep? I mean I've felt like giving a person some rep after they made me laugh out loud from one of their posts....is this a reason to give rep or not?

So how bout' a schooling on "Rep" from you forum members that are in the know about such things?

Thanks.....
    Inspiration and entertainment; that's why I'm on this site. If you can provide me with either, I'll rep ya!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

What is this "Rep" you all speak of...?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Did you know you can give "bad" reputation? just dont click the "I approve of this post" box and it gives them a bad rep if they post something bad....Imma try it on amigo will
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.