Thread: Clousers

Default Clousers

I was reading a couple different publications and I came across several referances about how Clouser minnows are the bomb. Here is my first batch playing with some variations. What do you think/suggest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clousers.jpg  
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Looking good buddy.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Smokin' hot!

I generally tie mine a little sparser, but what the hell do I know
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Look great! Nice work. Rep sent.

Clouser color combos I am fond of include:
    Olive over white and/or tan
    Gray over white
    Blue over white and/or gray
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

You're rolling.

Only thing I can suggest is to tie more, in a wide range of colors and sizes, both sparse and full. Also with an assortment of eye weights and colors. I use them from #14 through 3/0 in just about every color of bucktail or synthetic hair I own. When I see a new hair color, the first thing I envision with it is a Clausser.

thanks for the feedback guys
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

What are you guys fishing for with these, and how do you fish them?

You fish them every place you fish and you fish the deep and often. Bob created the fly many moons ago fishing Small Mouth and Shad back in PA on the S. It has been a mainstay from coast to coast and country to country for many years. Best part about the darn thing is you can fish Salmon fresh and or salt as well as Bows, Dollies / Char, Grayling and take it with you to the lower 48 and fish Perch, Pike, Walleye, Bass, etc..... telling you what it is a number one fly to have and fish any place any time.

Yup. Fish them everywhere and often. I've caught everything from bluegill to tarpon on them all around the country. And I think I've caught every species of fish I used them on in Alaska ranging from grayling to king salmon and halibut. Just adjust the size and color.

One thing you never see in print, but on the big long ones it's a good idea include a mono loop at the back of the hook shank, extending to within about an inch of the end of the tail. It will help keep the wings from wrapping the hook on casts at the very least, but if you get into a situation where the fish are striking short, just add a stinger hook to the loop. I don't bother on Clousers under about 3" long, but everything I tie over 4" has the loop.

BrownBear…Would you post a picture of a clouser with the loop you're describing?

I'm on the road without access to a camera at the moment, so it will have to wait till the end of the month if anyone is still interested.

Here's a description- Do it before adding wings and such. Basically fold a piece of 20-30# mono in half and lay it on top of the hook shank with the fold back to form the "loop" and adjust to length. Take a bunch of thread turns on the hook shank from the back toward the eye, then fold the two tag ends of mono back toward the bend and wrap your thread over them to really lock down the loop. Clip the excess mono, then tie in an tail or body material you want and run your thread back toward the eye. Goop the thread turns well with your favorite fly cement and form the body over the thread wraps toward the eye. I like diamond braid. Hope that's clear!

That loop really does a good job of keeping long wings from wrapping around the bend, even if you never get around to adding a stinger hook.