Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories and pictures about hunting Blacktails on Kodiak

Default Stories and pictures about hunting Blacktails on Kodiak

Hello,
    I'm planning a hunting trip to Kodiak for november of '07. I've been reading about blacktails on the web for a few months now and would sure like to hear some stories from folks that have hunted them. I've recieved some great information from a few people about what gear to bring and so forth, but I just can't stop thinking about it. I'd appreciate any info,stories, or tips that will help the next year and a half go by. If anyone needs help with hunting info for NM let me know.

Thanks,
    --Bill

Here's a couple meat bucks from the past two falls. Both taken hunting the roadsystem. Late August early Sept hunts.

Remeber to hunt high early in the season.

Hunted there last November. Sent you a pm.

Up in the Devils Prongs huh TB? I took an exceptional 3x3 on the very top of that mountain on the left of the third pic in the mid 80's.

Yeap, it was nice day so I decided to take a quick day hunt. That last picture was on the way out so I was probably pretty close to where you got yours. Saw a few spikes and forks and another decent 3x3, needed the meat and the weather was nice so I dropped the hammer on that guy. No sheep or goat tags this fall so I'm hoping to get back in a little further this fall and drop on of those big boys.

Default Road system bucks

Back in the mid 80's I did a late road system hunt with a buddy on Kodiak. It was the last day of the road system season. The evening before I'd done a short hunt in the area of TB's third pic and spotted several deer just before dark. I decided not to spook them so late in the day so I headed out and called my buddy Ron and told him I had some deer spotted and we should go out and get a couple since there was only one day left. As fate would have it, it snowed about 8 inches that night. We hiked on up into the valley and had just spotted a couple deer when Ron said, "Wow, look at that!" I turned and looked up to the top of the peak and there was a huge buck perfectly skylined, peering down at us from 400 to 500 yards away. He turned and was out of sight so we decided to climb up and see if we could find him. Climbing was treacherous because of the snow, but we made our way up. At the top, I told Ron, "you spotted him so you go first and he went over the last rise. Immediately I heard two shots and I scrambled up expecting to find Ron with the buck, but when I got to the top, there was nothing. I looked around and found tracks of at least three deer, then looked over the other side of the mountain and saw Ron a few hundred yards below scrambling down the hill. I figured he was busy, so I'd go back to the first deer we'd spotted and try to get one. As I turned around to the side we'd come up I saw movement about 150 yards below me and to my surprise, there was the big buck. He'd circled the peak and Ron was chasing the other two deer. I dropped him and he was a beauty. About 18 inches wide, 3x3 with long eyeguards and long high points, and very heavy beams. And he was perfectly symetrical. I started dragging him to the road and almost to the bottom is a very steep drop of about 50 yards. I debated how best to get him down without hurting myself and I decided to ride him down. I turned him on his back and pointed him headfirst down the hill and straddled him. I grabbed the antlers and lifted them so they wouldn't dig in and started us down the hill. I steered by digging in with a foot which ever way I wanted to turn. It actually went well and we hit the bottom and snow flew everywhere. I was laughing to myself and looked up to see two guys standing in the trail staring at me with strange looks on their faces, somewhere between disbelief and disgust. The disgust came from the fact that they had rifles and packs on their backs and they'd been planning on heading up to hunt, and here I was coming down with a huge buck. I told them there were more deer up there and even where they were, but they huddled together and muttered a few words to each other and turned around and left. They did manage to say "nice buck" before they left tho.

I lost that rack unfortunately. I gave them to a friend who was going to mount them on a plaque with deer leather over the skull. He dissappeared mysteriously only to be found drowned three months later by another friend in Twin Creek out near Chiniak. By the time I realized what happenned and went to try to retrieve my antlers, they'd dissappeared and I never found them.

The pics are from some early season road system hunts in the early 80's. As you can see, we liked to get high. We had a favorite spot about a mile and a half off the road away from most other hunters.

The ptarmigan pix I included to show how high up we'd get and how steep some of the country is on Kodiak. The ptarmigan is skylined left of center in the top pic and down below is the American River. These were taken about 2/3rds of the way up Heitman Mt., where my buddy Frank shot a 20 inch wide fork-horn that was the biggest bodied deer I ever saw on Kodiak. That was the only deer we ever cut in half to bring out, and it was still a chore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 05 Blacktail

Not really surehow to attach a photo, see if this works.

Default 05 Blacktail

Try another, I'm not surehow to get the size right.

Default Photo Attaching

Hey TB, How do you get your large format photos attached? I tried twice but either they were too big to be accepted or they attached much smaller as you can see from above.

Go to photobucket.com and open an account. Its a free photo hosting sight. Once you have them save there you then take the attachment and paste it in your reply here. It takes a little time to get it set up, but once you do its pretty easy to add pictures to it.

BTW that is one dandy buck you got there, Congrats. There were a lot of big ones taken last fall, due to exceptional antler growth from the mild winter and early spring. I just hope there are a few of those brutes left for this fall.

Thanks TB, yes I did get lucky last season. I'm attaching one of the photo's again after going through photobucket but I'm still not sure it's going to be the right size.

Great, looks like I'm going backwards. Back to the drawing board.

It might be a small pic, but it's a great buck Busta!

Default Great pics

Hey those are all great pics. Good story two twodux. Can't wait to meet up with you and maybe do some of that deer hunting!!
    These pics are the best thing about this sight as I haven't been able to head to the mountains in a year.
    But soon I will be back and doing some hunting!!
    plentycoupe

Default Kodiak is great!

Those pics of Kodiak bring back memories. I spent time one summer on Ugak bay during the red salmon run. Still snow on the mountains in June and blacktails everywhere. Even a few wild horses back then. I imagine Saltery Cove road is built up now. Thanks for pics & stories.

Busta,
    Try copying the "img" address then paste it into your reply (don't use the attachment). Did you have that buck scored, if so how big was it?

Trapper Joe,

Saltery is still an unmaintaned road only accessable by quad. A few people take older 4x4s back there but it is a little rough in places. They did pave the road out to the "Y" in Kalsin Bay last summer so Kodiak is slowly losing its wildness.

Default kodiak

I went to Kodiak last year in late August and did a solo DIY hunt. I packed in about 5 1/2 miles. The weather was good some of the time and bad the rest of the time with winds up 80 mph. I had to get on my hands and knees or I would have been taken off my feeta couple of times. I also had to move my tent out of the wind one night. My advice would be to get a real good tent and rain gear. Here are couple of pictures for you.

P.S. bring a SAT Phone

TB, After a little more tweaking I figured out if I set my horizontal size around 425 the pic came in right around 48kb (this site's max). So I'll try this again.

Thanks guys, the NM draw is being posted next week. But all I can think about is hunting Kodiak. Busta that is a great buck. TB thanks for all your help so far, I'll probably be in touch with you before my hunt.

--Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast