Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Model 700 30-06 Sprinfeild For $200!

Default Remington Model 700 30-06 Sprinfeild For $200!

I went to our local Gun Show yesterday and just after getting out of my car I ran into
    a guy carring in a gun bag....asked him what he had and what he wanted for it.
    I took a look at it...a never fired Model 700 30-06 with Scope and Sling for $200.

This guy did not know what he had and I jumped on it like Al Sharpton on a photo op.

Tell me your experiences with your 700's

First thing I would do is check to make sure the rifle is not stolen. That is one heck of a low price. If a guy is at a gun show, he should know the rifle is worth more than that even if the scope happens to be junk.

To answer your question, I have a number of Remington 700's from 243 up to 375. I have bedded and free floated each one. All of them have had the trigger reworked and a couple of them have Timney's on them. As I pick up used Timney triggers, I do replace the Remington factory trigger if the rifle is a newer model that does not lock the bolt when the safety is on. The triggers in the older models are just as good as Timeny.

All of them shoot very good groups, feed and eject smoothly, and are extremely reliable.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

[QUOTE=boliep;1099149]First thing I would do is check to make sure the rifle is not stolen. That is one heck of a low price. If a guy is at a gun show, he should know the rifle is worth more than that even if the scope happens to be junk.

I certainly thought about that.....I bought it before he talked to anyone else at the show....had he,the price
    would have been more....he threw the number out and I took it. We did the Transaction through an FFL so
    have all of his info and felt comfortable with that. The FFL Dealer ( I know him) said the scope alone was
    worth $100

My bolt does not lock when the safety is engaged

It's definitely stolen now! Good snag for sure. My Dad and uncles have been hunting hard with their 700s since about 73' I think. Never a hint of a problem from any of them. I refurbished one after an unfortunate guncase incident, wherein it became rusted horribly overnight in a wet case. The bore was trashed as was the outside but that has nothing to do with brand or model. All three of them are on their original extractor. I think if you hold onto it you will have a good rifle for as long as you keep it. The 700 gets alot of bad press but it's mostly hype.

I've got one sitting right next to me. My M700 30-06 has been my goto rifle for over 20 years now. I've strayed for a few seasons, but I keep coming back to her.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

"The Remington 700 pretty much represents the state of the science for centerfire rifles
    manufactured for the mass market."
    ~Jim Carmichel
    Score!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Great gun. No problems with any of the ones I have triggerwise or other. They weren't designed as benchrest guns. The only one I replaced the trigger on was use done with a factory re-worked one set at 2 ounces and the safety removed. Made it into a single shot for HP Silhouette.
    I would keep his info in a safe place. This way you know how to get in touch with him when it comes time to give him a hind quarter.

[QUOTE=tabmarine;1099153]
    Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    First thing I would do is check to make sure the rifle is not stolen. That is one heck of a low price. If a guy is at a gun show, he should know the rifle is worth more than that even if the scope happens to be junk.

I certainly thought about that.....I bought it before he talked to anyone else at the show....had he,the price
    would have been more....he threw the number out and I took it. We did the Transaction through an FFL so
    have all of his info and felt comfortable with that. The FFL Dealer ( I know him) said the scope alone was
    worth $100

My bolt does not lock when the safety is engaged

Just curious why you would have a FFL involved in the transaction?

[QUOTE=markopolo50;1099452]
    Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post

Just curious why you would have a FFL involved in the transaction?
    Good Question!......When I told him I would buy it, he asked if it was legal to do so...I told him about
    the law for a private sale, that his only reqirement was to not knowingly sell it to some who is not
    pemmited to own a firearm (felon, non-resident alien etc..). I explained that I had a Concealed
    Weapons Pemit and that it would be perfectly legal. Still not sure, He asked a Police officer, and an ATF
    agent who borh told him the same thing.

He wanted to "document" the sale so we went to a nearby FFL that I knew and he did the transfer
    for $27.00.

This little exercise showed me that it was not "HOT"

I have seven of them from BDL to Mountain Rifles and they are obviously my favorite carry. I can drive tacks with my 264 and took a boat load of deer with the 260.. Gave one to each of my sons as their first gun as well.. Great deal and you'll like it for sure.

The Scope is a "Simmons" 3-9 x 40 WA Prohunter Fully Coated" Since I am not familiar with Simmons,

Is this scope good?, Awful, a piece of dung?........It looks pretty middle of the road to me.

The Scope is a "Simmons" 3-9 x 40 WA Prohunter Fully Coated" Since I am not familiar with Simmons,

Is this scope good?, Awful, a piece of dung?........It looks pretty middle of the road to me.
    Thanks for the answer to the FFL dealer involvement. The guy probably hadn't bought or sold a many guns and wanted to be sure. As far as the Simmons, I would not buy one but since it came with one, I would take it and the scope mounts off and put a good Leupold or similar scope. I like Leupold dual dovetail mounts/rings or one piece Lightweight Talley rings/base.

my def of good would start with Leupold, the Simmons is not the middle of the road, more like the end of the road. I've Leupys, 1 B&L Elite 4200 and 1 S&B Summit. hey, you asked.
    As for Remmy's, there good shooters, sold all of mine in the yrs. past and bought another for 150 and swapped the trigger out for a Jewel and bought synth stock, got rid of the rear sight and put on a NECG Masterpeice. You will like yours I am sure.

Well Marcopolo and grizz,
    since I did well on the gun, That justifies spending some dough on a good scope. The only other gun that I have a
    scope on is my AR, and although its not considered to be near the level of the Leupys, it works good for me.
    On my 700 I will get a Leupy or something simalar.

What is the price range for these? Best place to get them?

Well Marcopolo and Grizz,
    Since I did well on the gun I will spend some dough on a good scope. What is the price range of these and the best plave to get them?

Tabmarine, I would consider a Leupold VX3, 2.5-8x36, #66330 is one I was looking at. http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html Not too much magnification but still plenty for the 06. SWFA, Opticsplanet, etc has them and there is rebate on them according to Opticsplanet. I wish Doug from Cameraland, who is one sponsor of this forum carried Leupold, but he doesn't. You might give them a call, sure he could come up with something similar and maybe better. http://cameralandny.com/.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Tabmarine, I would consider a Leupold VX3, 2.5-8x36, #66330 is one I was looking at. http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html Not too much magnification but still plenty for the 06. SWFA, Opticsplanet, etc has them and there is rebate on them according to Opticsplanet. I wish Doug from Cameraland, who is one sponsor of this forum carried Leupold, but he doesn't. You might give them a call, sure he could come up with something similar and maybe better. http://cameralandny.com/.

Good luck
    Thanks Markpolo,
    I think I'll go for the VX 3 3.5 10x40, Yes more money but like the better magnification with my
    52 soon to be 53 year old set of eyes. The reviews looked real good too.
    I see that I posted twice this morning. Thats because I got
    booted off when I posted the first one, when I logged back on, it showed it did not post.

Great info, thanks again

A lot of people recomending Leupolds and for good reason. But of late I have starting turning to Nikons. The BDC reticle (with the fine circles not big black dots) on the Nikon Prostaff (3-9 x 40) is IMHO perfect for an '06 hunting gun. The glass and light gathering is also IMHO up with Leupold. Only around $160 (Opticsplant, Cabelas, Brownells even Wally World).

Get a redfield! They have gotten significantly better and are made by leupold with a no crap no questions lifetime warranty and crystal clear glass at a fraction of the price. I got 2-7 for my 45-70 and it has been right on since day one had it out in rain/snow / humidity with minimal fogging. I was very impressed to say the least also vortex are very good scopes for the money.

I've been a diehard leupold fan all my life, but I am slowiy switching to Vortex. The last scope I bought a was a Vortex Crossfire for 130 bucks at sportsmans is just as good as my VXIIs for less than half the price. I've also bought a Vortex spotting scope for my son since I was so impressed of the one I got for a gift this fall from a friend. Vortex has an unconditional warranty like a leupold. I'm about quality, but if I can save a buck, to me its a no brainer. Redfield is not bad either since they are made by Leupold now. Congrats on your steal of a deal. Those don't happen often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast