Thread: Joe Nava CCW class

Default Joe Nava CCW class

I've carried concealed for awhile, took the class in North Carolina. I bought my wife a Judge Public Defender for her to carry and she knows how to use it but I signed us both up to take Mr. Nava's class just for some more training. Has anyone on here taken one of his classes? If so what did you think about it?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I took his class around 15 years ago. I still remember it as supurb.

I took his class about three years ago. I highly recommend it.
    Louis Knapp

My wife and a lady friend of ours took his class a few years ago and they were very impressed. I have been planning on taking it for quite some time but have never got a round to it. Joe has a great reputation and is a committed individual with a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Those are the responses i figured I'd get. I listen to his shows on AM 660 all the time and I've talked to him on the phone once or twice. His class seems a little more reasonably priced than most others I've seen also.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Although I didn't take Nava's class, I've heard good things and seen parts of it. Just so you know though, those CCW classes can vary pretty widely in what is covered. His seems to be pretty comprehensive and well done on the class room portion, but the actual shooting is a total of 14 rds as I recall, so it's not a shooting class.

I took it from a different instructor that included the class room time, but also lots of weapon manipulation, holster work, and somewhere between 400-500 rounds fired per person. Nothing wrong with Joe's, but you should know what you are getting.

Yk

Ya doesn't Joe have 2 classes? One is more shooting and the other includes like 4-6 hours of "the law".
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It's a 2-day class. I signed up for the one on 9 and 10 June. First day is 9-3 and second day is 9-4, or vice versa. Honestly I'm not worried about a shooting portion, I shoot enough on my own. I know the ccw class I took in NC you had to qualify at 7yds (21ft) with 7rds. Personally, I would rather the class concentrate on the laws regarding concealed carry than shooting. All the States have different requirements as far as what must be covered in class for a concealed carry permit.

The qualification shooting in Nava's class sounds about like what you had in your last class. He has a range in his house/classroom where the classes are held. He provides 357/38spl revolvers for the qualification and ammo (lightly loaded 38's) You can either use his guns and ammo or bring your own.

The law instruction of the course was excellent. He brings in a law enforcement officer (UAF police department) for that portion. Lots of good instruction with plenty of Q & A sessions.

Snyd, I believe he does offer other pistol classes . I think he even has one designed for women....Louis
    Louis Knapp