Thread: long shaft or short ?

Default long shaft or short ?

got a lead on a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke short shaft, will this short shaft be the best choice to go on the back of a Hudson bay freighter 21 ? Thanks

Default short shaft

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    got a lead on a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke short shaft, will this short shaft be the best choice to go on the back of a Hudson bay freighter 21 ? Thanks
    Yes, short shaft is the right one.

Still with a short shaft, I'd choose the 20 HP though, for your boat.

You just don't often hear anyone say:
    - My motor's too big
    - My skinning knife is too sharp.
    - This game bag is too big

Mo Power!

you sure about that?

On the SS vs the LS that is

Actually, Scott Hudson Bays can be ordered with either a short shaft transom or a long shaft transom. Most, I believe, are short shaft transoms. So, the proper shaft length OB depends on the height of the transom. Mine is a SS transom. Both my motors ... 15 hp Yamaha and 23 hp MudBuddy are SS motors. Depends on the transom that comes on your HB.

Thats the only reason I questioned it is because Nessmuck didn't specify which transom. Mine is the higher LS transom and with a 20HP Tohatsu with I beleive about a 21.? shaft I wouldn't be able to go any shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    One more option, and I think a good one is: Mount a short shaft on a tall transom HB. Many
    years ago when the boat shop in FBKS was selling HB's they were advising just that. The obvious
    advantage is 4 or 5 inches less prop under the boat . It seems the cut out of the wine glass stern
    allows enough water to reach the prop. I tried it once on a built-up stern on an albany I once had.
    It worked well.

Default raising an Albany's transom

Quote Originally Posted by kandik View Post
    The obvious advantage is 4 or 5 inches less prop under the boat . It seems the cut out of the wine glass stern allows enough water to reach the prop. I tried it once on a built-up stern on an albany I once had.
    It worked well.
    Ditto that. I've posted quite a lot of detailed photos about my Albany; I run it around more or less permanently lifted 6 inches - I can adjust to 7, but that's pushing it - with a short shaft Tohatsu.

I definitely agree that the wine glass stern lets you get that prop up higher. But I'm no expert in canoe design; does anyone know why a person would NOT want that wine-glass stern design? (I don't; that's why I'm asking.)

The short shaft transom is the more common transom that I have seen. It has a cutout and if you want I can measure how much mine dips down. The 20HP Honda I have mounted is not over-powered. I cruise on flat water at 80% and in some situations the extra 20% is nice to have. I think a 15HP would be minimum, unless you want to be on lakes with a HP Max of 10. I started with an 8HP and it was actually ok on flat water but could be sluggish in a fast current.

Make sure you mount spray rails....otherwise the ride can be a bit wet at full power.