Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose mounts with removable horns

Default Moose mounts with removable horns

How many of you have moose mounts with removable horns? If you do please post:

1. Widest spread
    2. If you have 1 or 2 horns removable
    3. If you can fit it through a standard 36" door opening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    How many of you have moose mounts with removable horns? If you do please post:

1. Widest spread
    2. If you have 1 or 2 horns removable
    3. If you can fit it through a standard 36" door opening.

Thanks
    I've seen my taxidermist friend make removable horn mounts a few times. I've never seen him do any where only one horn can be removed. Unless you have a moose that is over 36 inches wide at the shoulder, then it will easily fit through a 36" door.

what is the reasoning for your question? I don't have mine back yet but it is being done with the removable horns. Makes transportation and hanging much easier. Besides when I get a chance at a bigger one I'll just swap horns
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Just curious. I have heard a few guys needing only 1 horn removable and taxi charging by horn ~ in other words one horn removed is 1/2 the price.

Mine has removable antlers. The spread on this one is 58". I don't have pics of the mount with the antlers off, but it will easily fit through a standard doorway. Another thing I thought about is if (I mean when) I kill a bigger moose, I could just have the antlers cut off the skull cap and drilled out, have the square sleeve placed into them, and switch them out with these antlers, using the same mount. I don't know for sure if it would look right, but it may be worth a try.

Moose mt #2.jpgmoose mt #1.jpg

Mine also has removable antlers. 63.5". Easily fits through standard doors and easy to remove and relocate.

I have never seen horns on a moose, plenty sporting antlers though .

Default Detachables are a pretty good way to go

If you have a large bull, detachables may be a good way to go if you move a lot. The "down side" to detachables is you have nothing to protect the ears from damage while moving around, so take care you don't smack an ear. If you do use detachables with square steel stock (or some variation), it's a good idea to put a very light coating of Vaseline or a similar "lube" on the antler pins when you slide them on. That will reduce the likelihood of rust forming between the pin and the keyway that could make the antlers difficult to remove in the future. Here are a few pix of a 60-plus bull with detachables that give a pretty good illustration of one technique. It does cost a bit more to create detachables, but they are a lot of extra work for the taxidermist.

antler4.jpgantler3.jpg

antler1.jpgantler2.jpg

more of the moose with antlers attached

Well worth the little bit of extra money. Do both sides.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have never seen horns on a moose, plenty sporting antlers though .
    Yeah yeah we know.....personally I've just always liked the term "horn"....as in hard horn or velvet. The word "antlers" always seemed a bit wimpy to me. Makes me think of Santa's reindeer. It's like when you are in the field with your buddy and you see a moose. Feels so much more "right" to say "Do you see horns?" rather than "Do you see antlers?"......lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    antler1.jpgantler2.jpg

more of the moose with antlers attached
    Nice looking mount.....I like it with the lowered like that.

Well I didn't do detachable horns only because it cost a alot to get them home whole, wasn't sure if I was going to mount mine right away. So when I did mount it, I keep them intact. So until I build a addition it's in my garage. I would have defently done it different now knowing. Plus hanging it wouldn't require 3 people.
    Go with the removeable's!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah yeah we know.....personally I've just always liked the term "horn"....as in hard horn or velvet. The word "antlers" always seemed a bit wimpy to me. Makes me think of Santa's reindeer. It's like when you are in the field with your buddy and you see a moose. Feels so much more "right" to say "Do you see horns?" rather than "Do you see antlers?"......lol
    Sorry, had to add that. Personaly it bugs the living crap out me when used improperly as they are distinctly different, but to each their own.

Sorry, had to add that. Personaly it bugs the living crap out me when used improperly as they are distinctly different, but to each their own.
    Indeed.....a horn is a horn and and antler is and antler......two different critters. I just have never cared for the word antler. I would imagine that a lot of it was in my upbringing. As far back as I can remember I was hearing my dad and his friends or whoever saying "Look at the size of those horns!!!" or "Oh....it's only got small horns", or like I said "Does it have horns?" I think, with me anyway, that it's one of those "old dog-new tricks" kinda thing. Even tho I know I'm saying it totally wrong. But I also have to say that almost all the people I know, or the guys I've guided have always said "horn". Inevitably when somebody says "antler" it's almost like somebody just farted at the dinner table.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Indeed.....a horn is a horn and and antler is and antler......two different critters. I just have never cared for the word antler. I would imagine that a lot of it was in my upbringing. As far back as I can remember I was hearing my dad and his friends or whoever saying "Look at the size of those horns!!!" or "Oh....it's only got small horns", or like I said "Does it have horns?" I think, with me anyway, that it's one of those "old dog-new tricks" kinda thing. Even tho I know I'm saying it totally wrong. But I also have to say that almost all the people I know, or the guys I've guided have always said "horn". Inevitably when somebody says "antler" it's almost like somebody just farted at the dinner table.....lol

I couldn't agree more 4mer.

You, me and scores of other old Alaskan familys have been saying it wrong for quite some time I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I know the difference between and antler and a horn, but I have called em moose horns my whole life and somehow some way, people still understand what I'm talking about. My guess is it's some form of Alaskan only dialect.

Maybe the same reason we are the only people who ride our snowmachines!

Find me an Alaskan who rides a snowmobile and I bet he also has some nice moose antlers to show you!

To each his own. Just a little too nitpicky for me 338.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I couldn't agree more 4mer.

You, me and scores of other old Alaskan familys have been saying it wrong for quite some time I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I know the difference between and antler and a horn, but I have called em moose horns my whole life and somehow some way, people still understand what I'm talking about. My guess is it's some form of Alaskan only dialect.

Maybe the same reason we are the only people who ride our snowmachines!

Find me an Alaskan who rides a snowmobile and I bet he also has some nice moose antlers to show you!

To each his own. Just a little too nitpicky for me 338.

I take it iwth a grain of salt. I understand the intent and listen happily when I hear it , the difference here is that I get to type it out for all to see !

I take it iwth a grain of salt. I understand the intent and listen happily when I hear it , the difference here is that I get to type it out for all to see !

Horns,,,Antlers,,, I just call them 'Racks', in the velvet or 'rubbed'.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Horns,,,Antlers,,, I just call them 'Racks', in the velvet or 'rubbed'.
    I've rubbed a few "racks" in my day......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast