Thread: Anyone have a good recipe for chili with ground moose meat?

Default Anyone have a good recipe for chili with ground moose meat?

Happy Saturday everyone!!
    I love to cook and we recently moved up to Alaska. I was so lucky a friend shared some ground moose meat and I want to try a new chili recipe (I usually use ground beef and it tastes bland ) I want to try something new. My son likes spicy but my daughter and I like mild. Would anyone here share their recipe? Ready to get some started in the crock pot today, lol. Thank you!
    southiebella

Chili Recipe: This is my favorite.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 bell peppers (any color) I use orange and red, chopped
    1.5 cups chopped mushrooms
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 lb. of your favorite burger
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 (15oz) cans beans, I use pinto and red beans, with juices
    1 (14.5oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juices

Fry burger in small mount of olive oil and set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers, mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 7 minutes. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes more.

Add beans and tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chili is fragrant and slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Add burger and heat till warm.

Add or delete chili and cumin to adjust the heat.

Makes about 1/2 gallon.

Delete burger for an excellent meatless chili.

Enjoy!

I doubt I ever make it the same way twice Usually just start dumpin' in whatever's at hand. I like lots of tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapenos sometimes, even olives. My favorite trick is to add some black coffee to the sauce, maybe a cup or two, really gives it a rich flavor. I like to use different kinds of beans, too; equal amounts of pinto, black, northern or navy, and pinks or small reds is a good mix. Comfort food!
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

Delete burger for an excellent meatless chili.
    Alarms are going off in Texas
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Just being PC, I also prefer meat over meatless.

This is a crock pot chili, my favorite although my wife doesn't like it so spicy. So I make it when I go to my buddies house..he is single

2 # browned venison
    3 medium onions browned in butter
    1 green pepper browned with onions
    1 tablespoon worchestershire sause
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 10 oz. Rotel diced tomato's and chile's
    3 15 oz. Redgold diced tomato chili ready
    1 15 oz. Bush light red kidney beans
    1 15 oz. Bush chili beans medium sauce
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 15 oz. tomato sauce
    1 6 oz. tomato paste

After browning venison and sauteing onions and peppers, mix in crock pot and slow cook at least 4 hours.

Default do it right or do it quick

I would go with King's or Marks's recipes, hands down, but if you're in a hurry like lots of us are, buy a packet of Bear Creek "Darn good chili Mix", f.k.a. Dam good chili mix.

It's ready in ten minutes. If you have more time, cut up some real (3) romano tomtoes and half a cup of yellow or (if you're tough) red onions, and simmer on low for 2 hours.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Where is the cayenne pepper and red pepper in those recipes?

I second the coffe - make it really strong - I always put coffee in my chili!

Thank you , Thank you everyone for sharing your recipes!!! Ya'll are awesome. I usually write new recipe that I like somewhere in my favorite cookbook and these recipes/ideas are going in it TODAY.

OK here goes. (I warn you it's a lot of work)
    I use a 16 Qt stock pot so you may need to adjust recipe for smaller batches

Erik's Three Bean Texas Style Chili

1 8oz bag dried red chilis
    12 fresh Anaheim (green) chili peppers
    6 Jalapenos - seeded and chopped small
    2-3 lbs burger or stew meat
    5-6 cloves garlic - minced
    6 cubes beef bullion
    2-3 cups chopped white or yellow onion (cup per lb beef)
    1 bottle dark beer (ambers thru stouts--whatever you have)
    1 8oz can tomato paste
    1 can tomato juice (not V8)
    1 can each of Kidney, Black and White beans
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    Cayenne pepper & Kosher salt (optional)

Pre heat oven to 425*. Arrange Anaheim peppers on a cookie sheet so they don't touch and roast whole for 20 minutes. Turn peppers over and continue to roast until skin blisters. They can also be grilled if you wish. You want to blister the skin.
    Place cooked (still hot) chilis in a gallon ziploc bag. Seal bag and set aside to cool.

After peppers go in oven set a gallon of salted water to boil. While water heats remove stems and seeds from dried red chilis and place chilis in water. Once water comes to a boil reduce heat and simmer red chilies for 30 min. Remove from heat and transfer chilies to food processor or blender and puree'. You will need to add some of the water you cooked them in--a ladle or two's worth.
    Strain puree'd red chilli to remove bits of skin. Once strained set red chili puree' aside (this can be done in advance and chili prepared this way stays good in your freezer forever)

Once until Anaheim peppers are cool enough to handle remove skin, stems, and seeds. You won't get all of the skin or seeds but at least get the bulk. Chop cooked peppers and set aside.

Brown meat in stock pot on medium high heat with garlic.
    Once browned add onions, stirring until they begin to turn clear then add bullion and beer and stir often until bullion dissolves.
    After bullion dissolves add red chilli puree' and tomato paste. Stir until paste is fully incorperated.
    Add chopped green chilli, jalapeno, and half the tomato juice. Stir until mixture is even.

Once this mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Taste the chili for heat and salt. Add cayenne and salt to taste. The heat of both the red and green chili's can vary so hold off on the cayenne until the end.
    Add cocoa powder and stir until fully incorperated (believe it or not but cocoa adds a hint of smokiness to chili and has won me several cookoffs)
    Add beans with liquid from cans and gently incorporate--Absolutely add beans LAST otherwise all that stirring will begin to break them up.

At this point you may add as much of the remaining tomato juice as you like to get the chili to your preferred consistency--I like a little extra liquid in the beginning to help keep the solids from sticking to the bottom of the pot knowing the water will cook off.

Now simmer your chili for another 30-40 minutes and serve with your favorite fixings.

This chili is best made the day before you want to serve it. The flavors really come together after a night in the fridge.

Enjoy
    When confronted with multiple solutions or hypotheses, the simplest is usually the most correct (Occam's Razor) and Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity (Hanlon's Razor)

That sounds gooooood, Erik! Almost like a mole​, huh? Might try that next go 'round. Last night we had black beans with pork, Cuban style.

OOOPS!!

Correction: That was supposed to be 2 cans each of Red, Black & White beans
    And I double checked my stockpot--It's a 12 quart and this recipe with the beans correction will fit in a 12 qt.
    When confronted with multiple solutions or hypotheses, the simplest is usually the most correct (Occam's Razor) and Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity (Hanlon's Razor)