Thread: shore fishing for halibut around homer

Default shore fishing for halibut around homer

hi folks can anyone give me any info regarding shore fishing for halibut around homer spit or any of the beaches on the peninsula. tackle would be beachcaster and multiplier, thanks

I've heard of people having success around Deep Creek area. I've never tried it though. Could be a kick!

People catch an occasional halibut off the end of the Homer Spit, along with an assortment of cod, pollock, irish lords, etc.
    I've caught a lot of halibut while trolling for salmon in close to the beaches.. You want a kick, hook, play and boat an 80 lb halibut on a 7 ft salmon rod... I've fished for Halibut from the beach out on Adak with great success... so I know it can be done. Go for it and let us know how you do..!

I remember a 100 pounder being caught off the beach down around Happy Valley Creek years ago. Gotta go early though.....

Check out this thread

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ore+deep+creek

It isn't all around Homer, but gives you some ideas.

I have caught Halibut off the beach in Homer back before I bought my boat.
    I think there are several therads on this if you use the search feature.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thanks for the replys guys, i will defo be taking the beachcasting gear with me. we have been catching skate up to 200 pounds from the shore here in scotland and i see in some of the posts reporting shore caught skate aswell so looking forward to the trip even more. the last trip we had to alaska we stopped off at hope for 2 days, the pinks were plentifull and tasty but the highlight was the denali cooks, great band that had everybody jiggin, the beers wer flowing fast and the locals wer very friendly. thanks again.

I have a feeling I was there in hope for that show. I hear the best fishing is always as far offshore as possible. That and the tidal differences are Huge. I hear stories of casting out at low tide, and waiting for High tide to come in to get you out to fishable areas. If you know of a way to get your bait offshore you would be in better shape. I keep kicking around of using a balloon with a slider and a rubber band release. let the wind take it offshore as far as I can go, then pull the line to break the rubber band. My only problem is getting the balloon back and not letting it drift away. Ideas are welcome.

Then that thread that was linked has a ton of really good spots and techniques. good luck.

How about a small rubber raft you can get for cheap? Paddle out, drop your line, and paddle back in while in free spool. If you're worried about getting sucked away by the tide, attach a rope to the raft and get pulled in by your buddy on shore.

I have a fair amount of experience from the beach fishing, etc. I am experimenting with large planers that move away from shore using the tide current. Its not dialed in yet. Last yr early season it was too weedy and couldnt get my line out w/o getting tangled in weeds. I have been able to walk the beach w sideplaners pulling a plug but no fish yet (*for kings). Most of my fishing is for the Butts. 13 caught from shore last yr. Probly that many skates. 2 cod. Lots of Irish lords. 2 kings landed. 2 lost. A few flounder. And most yrs, but none last yr, lots of sharks. To address some above comments....Small rubber raft........ Not a great option. Rarely is the beach safe enough to launch it,.. Sometimes passing weeeds would have u paddling out again, and again. Also when tide is moving, say good bye. U will be a ways down shore b4 u get in. .................Ballloon idea....Wind is almost always coming at u. Big bluff behind u so no 'offshore breeze' to wk with. Besides tide instantly would swing anything on a line into the shore, not out. .................Anchor out in the low tide with a line to shore....Nope, cuz weeds, tide, and slope of beach will not allow enough grade to slide anything out. ...........How bout some sort of 'tater' gun to shoot the bait out?? Maybe, would you tear your bait apart. Dont know. I do know u can do what i do. Wait for relatively calm seas. Use any spin rod ( I've caught on 12# test and 5 ft rods) with 2 oz (or greater) wt and a piece of herring. Find (at low tide when u can see where your bait will be) a place that is NOT full of coal chunks, big rocks to hang up on, etc etc. (If u arent there at a low tide to see it u'll just have to guess) ...At one-two hrs b4 hi tide u can start fishing, fish thru hi tide and u can quit about 1-2 hrs after hi tide. If the tides are real small ones can get by fishing longer, but I find an hour and a half b4 thru hi and hr half after hi is plenty of time to fish. Best tides seem to be 16 - 18.5 tides. But sometimes other tides wk, too. The main thing is the surf can NOT be too rough, or the fish wont come in to the casting area. They dont like to get pounded by the surf either. I've got fish from mid April to Oct 15 last yr. In fact i been waiting for the access points to clear of snow and ice enough so i can get on the beach. I see someone got on the beach a couple days ago so its about time to try it. I'm not too worried about giving away too many secrets cuz not too many peeps are gonna drive a long way to 'chance' that they can fish the beach. (surf action rough). But if the opportunity presents itself when at the beach, give it a wing. Good luck.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

A little thread creep here, but this just reminded me of when I was in Florida years ago. I was walking down the beach and there was this old guy with a small spool bolted to the back of his truck with about a mile of line on it. I got talking to him and he showed me his rig. It was a bunch of hooks hanging under a float with a sail on it. I don't remember what he was catching with it. He would toss it into the surf, and it would sail out into the ocean until he decided to reel it back in. He could even set the sail at an angle to tack into the wind a little, but it was mostly down wind sailing with the off shore breeze. I have always wondered if it could be done with a pulley system to keep the bait bouncing on the bottom as it went out, or drop the line when it got out to where you wanted it.

Use a small remote control motor boat!

Thought of the small remote boat, too. I dont know enough about them to say yea or nay. I would guess they would be spendy. What to do if it goes out and then has problems. (good bye boat?) Can they carry a few ounces of wt and bait? A consideration that doesnt get enough respect on the beach here is the TIDAL FORCE. Remember, we have up to nearly 30 feet of tidal change happening possible. On a 18 ft tide, about 1.5 hrs after hi tide a 4 oz wt will not hold bottom with just a 10 odt hook and a small piece of herring on it. A very small increase in size of your bait is a huge multiplier of the pull on your line from the tide. As most of u know, down here it is not too often u have a 'waveless' beach. Spring (or after big storms) often brings lots of weeds and debris near shore. That is problematic. Means u have to get your line back out again. Time with your hook in the water is time fishing. My theory on 17 ft tides or so being best is based on a couple things. 1..Not too much tide movement. 2. The beach slopes at a certain grade until it hits the 'mud flats'. There it flattens out considerably. I believe the fish come across the mud flats and cruise the area of the 'grade change' looking for food. 3.... A 16 to 19 ft tide allows the caster to reach the spot where the grade makes the change to the 'flats'. If u can reach that spot, u'll catch more fish. (Although if the tide is 22 ft and the surf is not too rough the fish come up the grade a bit anyhow.) So u still may be golden. However say u have a 12 ft hi tide. .... If u study the flats at a low tide u will find most of the beach "flats" start at the 2 ft (elevation) mark. That means u have only 10 ft of depth between the casting spot and the flats. The fish need to feel safe and not be trashed by the surf. Ten ft is iffy. But not impossible. Hope this info give some more perspective to those who think about the 'how to go about this'. I am definitely open to new ideas and keep them coming. I love conquering the fish and keeping my feet on dry ground.!! (When i speak of "flats" keep in mind, when u reach the flats with bait, u can throw another 100 yds beyond and still only gain maybe a foot of depth on the flats.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!