Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Club Seeking Comments on New Trapping Policy

Default Sierra Club Seeking Comments on New Trapping Policy

The Sierra Club is seeking comments on a new wildlife trapping policy.

You can log in and voice your opinion. Go to the Sierra Club Website: www.clubhouse.sierraclub.org. About half way down the page you will see: "Seeking Comments on New Trapping Policy"

Username: clubhouse
    Password: explore

Members and non-members are free to use the username and password.

Please be respectful and polite.

The comment period ends March 30, 2012.

I'm not clicking on any link that the Sierra Club puts out. Also, why would I need to be respectful and polite when they are never respectful or polite to people that hunt and trap? Do I really need a link to understand thier stand on trapping? Anyhow, just my .02.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I'm not clicking on any link that the Sierra Club puts out. Also, why would I need to be respectful and polite when they are never respectful or polite to people that hunt and trap? Do I really need a link to understand thier stand on trapping? Anyhow, just my .02.
    +1.........

Supporting Member

Checked out the website and Sierra Club's "Logic" for their anti-trapping (except for live-traps) rhetoric. Same BS you hear from all the anti groups and nothing I did not expect to hear from them. Not sure there is any reason to make comments, polite or otherwise. Their minds are already made up.

I am curious why an anti trapping hunting fishing post would be allowed on this site? or atleast on the hunting fishing trapping threads atleast.....

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I am curious why an anti trapping hunting fishing post would be allowed on this site? or atleast on the hunting fishing trapping threads atleast.....
    Perhaps it is good to know what they are promoting,planning etc. Most folks already know their adjenda I am thinking along the lines of "Fore warned is Fore armed" Doesn't hurt to know what is in the works even if it is the same BS, MY .02 ~Mist~

SCI seems to get more booth traffic. Must be the fancy embroiderred "shooter" style shirts.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Checked out the website and Sierra Club's "Logic" for their anti-trapping (except for live-traps) rhetoric. Same BS you hear from all the anti groups and nothing I did not expect to hear from them. Not sure there is any reason to make comments, polite or otherwise. Their minds are already made up.
    I agree, but snaring bears as an issue, might just make them a ton of money. Hope it passes but I don't think it will. Some even on this site would fall on their swords over this issue, they are so angry about it.

Shooting bears? Not an issue. Snaring as in trapping? Tons of new revenue will be made by the Sierra Club on this poorly thought out way to reduce predation by bears. Reason it any way you want and then watch their new campaign. This will be very interesting.

Thanks for the heads up. Hope I am wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'm not seeing an anti-trapping post here - just an invitation to take a look and to offer feedback. Count me among the many here who don't see much point in doing so as it is almost 100% certain to have zero effect, but there's no anti-trapping rhetoric in the post that was made.

This is not an anti-trapping post. I'm a fellow trapper. This is an opportunity to comment on a policy before it is implemented. Until now the Sierra Club has not had an official policy regarding trapping. They have focused on ecosytem-wide issues. If this new policy is implemented it will be a fundamental change in their message. It's clear from the proposed policy that the aim of the antis is to push for nationwide anti-trapping legislation. So far they have managed to get restrictions on trapping in several individual states. The comments posted by antis are the usual misinformation and hysteria. If we don't stand up and refute those claims then we deserve to loose our trapping rights. Burying our heads in the sand or believing the issue is hopeless is exactly what the antis want from us.

Have you guys followed there link and read there desire? I am curious I guess than how a link to an anti trapping agenda is not anti trapping? It's like telling yourself it's not cold outside. Running out in shorts and getn frostbit. I lOve it when people and groups take a stand and than ask for your agreement (support). We know what it is we know where this group heads. It's disappointing they are allowed amongst us with there current visions of our future.

Just be warned, any comments posted on there will be taken out of context and used to promote thier agenda, which is anti-trapping. I have a lot of freinds and family that no longer have jobs because of the actions of the sierra club. They are NOT a governmental organization, as you all know, so there should be no reason to entertain them by posting for them. As noted, thier stance is not going to change on the issue, and they will use your comments against you.

I did not read Alpinist's post as promoting it, but making us aware, and I wanted folks to be clear on how they are going to use thier comments.

When this gets to the voting booth (which they will get it there, as they have in many states) then we fight. Right now, it's just a private organization gathering up things to support it's agenda.

It is a proposed policy. It has not yet been adopted by the Sierra Club. They currently have no policy regarding trapping. The national organization has previously been neutral on the issue. Historically, the Sierra Club has supported and been supported by hunters and fishermen with it's Sierra Sportsmen Network. I'm not so sure the entire organization has made up its mind. I'm certainly not going to assume all is lost and bury my head in the sand if there is a chance to inform and persuade before the policy is adopted. If you wait until the issue gets to the voting booth, you have already lost. We found that out in Washington State when most traps were banned in 2000.

More than three decades ago, the Sierra Club was instrumental in foreclosing investigation and planning of a very sensible, and much needed, hydroelectric generation system at and above Devil Canyon on the Upper Susitna River. Their basis for their certainly negative approach was that such a project would destroy certain salmon spawing grounds. In point of fact, Devil Canyon produces Class VI water, and no salmon of any variety or species has ever been able to nagivate those waters in many hundres, perhaps thousands, of years.

The Sierra Club's efforts closed the possibility of electrical generation through the use of a clearly inexhaustable resource: water. The proposed power generation could have served the entire Alaska rail belt, from Homer to Fairbanks. Having successfully blocked that generation only added to the many obstacles that operate to prohibit manufacturing and development in Alaska. While we all like Alaska just as it is, and development is the antithesis of Alaska's thinking, the state could certainly benefit from the ability to develop at least a modicum of manufacturing.

So much for the Sierra Club.

I'm sure with our comments they will quit pushing to ban trapping. (sarcasm, in case folks weren't sure) They DO support every anti-trapping bill that comes out, not just in the US, but in Canada also. Do you know how much they were involved in the WA state ban? You can bet a lot of dollars went into the ban, directly or indirectly.
    I'm not assuming anything. I know how this story goes, as it's been repeated many times.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    -- Daniel Webster

So, giving credibility to an out of control environmental group by posting a reply is 'hiding my head in the sand' and 'not doing anything'.?

Whenever we give them the time of day it makes the stronger. Treat them as the wacko's they are and ignore them.

Since this is only a 'proposal' by the Sierra Club, then they don't have a stance at this time, right? See below:

The link to the entire arcticle: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...ion201trap.htm And this was an AZ law proposed. I can find dozens of these, if not hundreds.

ARGUMENT "FOR" PROPOSITION 201

The Rincon Group of the Sierra Club urges voters to support the initiative banning leghold traps on public lands. This initiative in not a hunting, fishing, or private property rights issue. This initiative is a public lands issue.

Public lands are administered by the state for the benefit of the public and for the enhancement of the resources on those lands. The purpose of this initiative is to protect the public and wildlife on public lands. Leghold traps are notoriously indiscriminate. They cannot select who or what is entrapped. Leghold traps pose a direct threat to individuals using public lands, their children and their pets. Protecting public uses of state lands is far more important than protecting purely private interests.

In addition, wildlife resources must be protected on public lands. The vast majority of animals caught in leghold traps are non-target animals, such as rabbits, porcupines, deer, squirrels, and a large variety of birds, including such endangered species as the bald eagle. Even sheep are often caught in traps. The total impact of trapping on Arizona wildlife may never be known since trappers are not required to report non-target animals.

Public lands trapping does not benefit the public . It benefits a small group of individuals, fewer than 200, who do not rely on trapping for their livelihood. Trapping is a cruel and unnecessary hobby. Trapping on public lands for predator control is an unnecessary subsidy for public lands ranchers. Other effective, humane methods of predator control exist. A rancher concerned with predators need only move his/her stock to private lands during breeding season. This initiative does not abolish trapping or predator control on private lands.

Vote to protect your use of your land. Vote to ban leghold traps on public lands.

Richard W. McKee

Conservation Chair

Rincon Group, Sierra Club

Tucson

How about New Mexico: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...ion201trap.htm

More info about the new 'policy' http://www.change.org/petitions/pres...cy-on-trapping

Some more info on the top 12 environmental groups: http://www.huntersagainstpeta.com/tag/sierra-club

A sierra club member finds coyote in trap: http://www.wildearthguardians.org/si...s_iv_ctrl=1227

Why are energy prices high? You can look to groups like the sierra club that make it almost impossible to do business: http://www.groupsnoop.org/Sierra+Club

Just put into google 'Sierra Club' and then what you want to see thier stance on such as 'Trapping'. 'Oil' etc. Use whatever you want...

Yes, individual members, officers, and even chapters of the Sierra Club have come out against trapping in the past. This is the first time a club-wide policy against trapping has been proposed.

Posting the facts about trapping and opposing their proposed policy change does not give credibility to the Sierra Club. It would certainly give credibility to the anti-trapping forces within the Sierra Club if no one were to oppose them. Fortunately hundreds of trappers and non-trappers are stepping up to defend your trapping rights for you by refuting the lies and hysteria being spewed by anti-trappers in the public comment area of the Sierra Club site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast