Thread: Kimber Mtn Ascent vs Forbes Model 24B vs Kimber Montana?

Default Kimber Mtn Ascent vs Forbes Model 24B vs Kimber Montana?

Gents - lotsa talk recently about lightweight rifles.

Anyone used one of the new Melvin Forbes lightweight rifles? Reasonably priced as well at approximately $1,400 according to the article.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...el-24b-review/

He also makes sub 5 lbs rifles...this one tested in the article as 5 lbs 4 oz.

Thoughts on this one vs the Kimber Ascent and/or Kimber Montana?

Here is a video from the 2012 Shot Show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bkPJmq3co
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I think it would be hard to beat the Kimber 84L, a tad lighter, a little cheaper, all SS, and they shoot good IMO.

I thought the same but there are a BIG variety of reviews from the Kimbers...some shoot great, others not so great to downright poor. And action issues...this is what has me wondering and asking so many questions...

Surely understandable concerts, my sons and I have 4 Kimber Montanaís, two of which we just got a few weeks ago in 280 AIís and havenít shot them yet. The other two are in 7WSM and they both shoot very well and function great, no problemsÖ.but both those rifles are bedded right which can fix many of the accurately problems folks face!

Many reviews say ďXĒ bullets donít shoot, Iíve shot them for over 20 years from 22-375 cal and have never not had any of them shoot very well, but then again all my rifles are bedded right!......hint!

Iím not saying the 24B are not good, Iím sure they are a great rifle, Iíve friends who own ULA rifles and they are awesome, also friends who have the Colt light rifles, once again they shoot crazy good too!...Iíve packed/hunted ďlight riflesĒ for over 20 years now and at the end of the day, itís just a matter of oneís preference !

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Surely understandable concerts, my sons and I have 4 Kimber Montanaís, two of which we just got a few weeks ago in 280 AIís and havenít shot them yet. The other two are in 7WSM and they both shoot very well and function great, no problemsÖ.but both those rifles are bedded right which can fix many of the accurately problems folks face!

Many reviews say ďXĒ bullets donít shoot, Iíve shot them for over 20 years from 22-375 cal and have never not had any of them shoot very well, but then again all my rifles are bedded right!......hint!

Iím not saying the 24B are not good, Iím sure they are a great rifle, Iíve friends who own ULA rifles and they are awesome, also friends who have the Colt light rifles, once again they shoot crazy good too!...Iíve packed/hunted ďlight riflesĒ for over 20 years now and at the end of the day, itís just a matter of oneís preference !

I am no gun expert...so what is required to bed them "right" to ensure decent accuracy?

Bedding is a two-part compound epoxy used to fill the gaps/tolerances between the stock and the action/barrel, bedding the recoil lug is the most important to ensure no movement between the gun and stock! The most poplar is made by Brownells, they make Steel-bed, Acra-glass and my favorite one Acra-gel, which you can find at Sportsman warehouse, folks use many different ones also, like Marine-Tex, JB Weld etc.

The trick to it all is the release agent, this is a fine non-sticking coating applied to all metal parts that will come into contact in the epoxy. If you fail to coat or miss spots you will have some big troubles getting the stock to release from the metal, trust me Iíll been there more than once, I once had to put my rifle in the freezer over night to try and shrink the metal just enough to break the gun loose from the stock, it worked! Ölol

Most all gunsmiths will do this, and I donít recommend it unless you have watched it done!....Iíve maybe bedded a 100 rifles in the last 20 years, Iíve learned a few things the hard way!....grin

I don't think I'd touch a new Ascent until it had a year or two on the market and Kimber has had time to work out all the bugs. The only possible saving grace for the Kimber Ascent is it's in .308 and that the bulk of Kimbers problems have been in the wsm calibers. Either way I don't think I'd buy anything first run from Kimber. Their new Solo pistol has gotten huge praise in all the magazines but if you read the the reviews from the regular folks, you won't have to look far to find a slug of poor reviews and problems.

I would go for the Forbes or a Montana in a non-short mag.

My money would have to go to the Montana. SS in an all-purpose/all-weather rifle is a no brainer IMO. Somehow Forbes thinks chrome-moly is preferable...

I don't worry about general complaints concerning function or accuracy as operator error explains a great deal of these issues IME. The Montana design (lock, stock & barrel) is sound and any real problem will almost certainly be an easy fix. I can't see the extra dough for the Ascent as a wise use of resources for the minimal decrease in weight. Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I don't worry about general complaints concerning function or accuracy as operator error explains a great deal of these issues IME. The Montana design (lock, stock & barrel) is sound and any real problem will almost certainly be an easy fix.
    Easy fix or not why should a person have to address any issues at all out of the box with an $1,100 rifle? Every rifle company is going to have a dud or two get out the door, but Kimber has had much higher track record of duds than any other I've read about in recent years.

I guess I'm pretty gun shy of Kimber having personally paid $1,100 for a brand new Montana that I had to turn right around and send back to the factory for repair. Rifle flat out wouldn't feed, no operator error about it. Decided to do some more research and found out I was one of mannnnyyy people encountering problems with the Montana. My rifle functions OK now but I still haven't been able to shake that sour taste.

I think that Forbes would sell much better if it was in stainless. I guess you could always do Cerakote after the fact, but then you're just driving up the cost of the rifle.

Guys...thanks for the inputs thus far.

AK Wonderer - like you, I am gunshy of the Kimbers due to alot of bad reviews/blogs. You are one of many I heard from that said they had feeding problems with the rifle. Clearly something wrong with the fit, function, finish on some of them. And I am reluctant to drop the coin and have a problem like that.

I am leaning towards the Forbes Model 24B in 30-06...if I get one, I will drop the money to have it cerakote'd.

Keep the inputs coming...and Thank You!

My 84L 280AI Montana would not feed out of the box. I was pretty upset about it and did contact them. They sent me everything I needed to return it for free. I posted online about the issue and enough people suggested that I polish the feed rails that I decided to carefully go for it. Some 220 grit very lightly along the edges took the burrs out and it feeds flawlessly now.

Still feel like it shouldn't have been needed but honestly it was a pretty simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    Guys...thanks for the inputs thus far.

AK Wonderer - like you, I am gunshy of the Kimbers due to alot of bad reviews/blogs. You are one of many I heard from that said they had feeding problems with the rifle. Clearly something wrong with the fit, function, finish on some of them. And I am reluctant to drop the coin and have a problem like that.

I am leaning towards the Forbes Model 24B in 30-06...if I get one, I will drop the money to have it cerakote'd.

Keep the inputs coming...and Thank You!
    Did you ever get that Forbes rifle? If so, how is it?