Thread: Handheld Radio Suggestions

Default Handheld Radio Suggestions

Figure this might be the best place to ask guys in the know on handheld radios.

I am looking for a simply handheld radio to use to communicate with other vessels if needed while getting dropped off via water taxi and the like.

Thanks for any and all input.

I would recomend standard have used them daily over the last 5 years they seem to last longer than any other brand out there.I have tried Icoms and they are short lived and seem to have a short range all off these radios are top end hand helds with 1 to 5 watts of power.I work in the cook inlet dredgeing and see all types of weather and standard in my opinion is the best hand held out there.

Don't get one that isn't waterproof or floats........Thank me later!

I always have mine on me when I go to shore, just incase my boat is gone when I get back. Keep it in your pocket, even when on board, incase you go overboard or your boat sinks out from underneath you.

Thanks guys, went with a Standard Horizon 750 model for $130. Just liked that it was waterproof, floated and could even crank up to 6W if needed. Seems like cheap insurance on a fly out or water taxi drop off, no subscriptions just one up front $130 cost. I know I was impressed when Stid was about to hear/talk to the air taxi pilots when they flew overhead.