Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS

Default SKS

I just saw a add in a local paper for a Norenco SKS in 7.62X39 with 30 round mag. It said gun had all matching numbers and comes with bayonet, sling, and one box of ammo for $295.00. I do not know anything about these guns and can not remember seeing anything on here about them. Are they just junk or why do I never see anything on here about them? If they are dependable guns this don't seem like a bad price.

They possess battle proven dependability but not the most accurate battle field rifle, and they are a great value.

they never came with a 30rd mag they all had a fixed 10 rd mag on a hinge. They did make a model "d" which has been modified to take AK 47 mags from the factory but they are spendy usually 500+ and pretty hard to find so I doubt that is one of them. You can do a bolt modification so they accept the "duck bill mags" which are detachable but then you have to play the 922R game of having a certain amount of usa made parts so you would have to change a few other parts for it to be legal. but they are very reliable and pretty accurate to 125-150 yards after that its a crap shoot some are really good some are not. They are good truck guns for sure tho. I know of 3 different people that use them to hunt with one has shot a bou and black bear the other a moose. I probably wouldnt take a moose with one as a first choice but it is capable if you NEED to.

Ten round 30-30 without the lever and most a fair value.They held their own in Viet Nam against the junky AR's of the time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd love to find one of the Russian or Serbian bolt rifles chambered for 7.62x39; be a good one to teach my girls on when they're old enough, shoot all day and not break the bank. I've shot a couple SKS, not a fan.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I have a Norinco SKS and it is as reliable as anything there is. The main problem with the SKS is accuracy. Some shoot pretty good (3 to 4 in at 100) some won't hit a 5 gal bucket at 50yds 2 times out of 3. Mine was one of the latter in that groups at 50yds were measured in feet not inches. I cut about 1/4" off the end of the barrel and recrowned it and now it shoots 2 1/2" to 3" at 100yds. They are fun to shoot and ammo is relatively cheap with performance similar to a 30/30. Aftermarket stocks and scope mounts and such are available fairly cheap as well. I would ditch the 30rd mag for a stock 10rd as the long mag just gets in the way and they are made to be loaded using 10rd stripper clips. I'm putting together a Rem 700 short action in 7.62x39. I'll see if I can make it shoot a little better than 3".

i have owned 300 or 400 of them china, romainian, russian. i bought them by the case in the 80's and 90's. swap out your factory stock and detachables are easy to get. get metal of course and try them all some just will not feed. my current russian will group moa at 400 yds. compact 3x9x40 cheapers scope so i can use stripper clips. 40 round slides right in with out detaching mag. it will shoot out shoot me easily. i think of trying to get someone to load some in like 80 gr. just for fun.

Somebody must of thought this was a bargin. It has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i have owned 300 or 400 of them china, romainian, russian. i bought them by the case in the 80's and 90's. swap out your factory stock and detachables are easy to get. get metal of course and try them all some just will not feed. my current russian will group moa at 400 yds. compact 3x9x40 cheapers scope so i can use stripper clips. 40 round slides right in with out detaching mag. it will shoot out shoot me easily. i think of trying to get someone to load some in like 80 gr. just for fun.
    That's quite a good Russian SKS. I have a pre-import Chicom and Russian both of which shoot ~4 MOA. I also removed the gas tube and made a bolt action Yujgo SKS to shoot Subs thru a can. Works great and a 10 round bolt action is kinda cool too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've got an old Chinese SKS with the red bakelite stock I keep back at my family's home in the lower 48. I've had that thing for 20 years or so and I could never sell it as it's the most accurate darn thing. I've taken elk and mule deer with it and it's ugly as sin, but it's the one rifle that is always around when I'm down on the farm, so it get used for all sorts of stuff. I replaced the firing pin after a few light primer strikes and other than that it's been working just fine. I have a Yugo one with me up here and it's not even close in accuracy, ease of handling or ergonomics as that old Chicom one.
    If you stuble across a good one, I'd grab it.

Mountaintrekker

in any given case there was quite a varience. the wood was not always a good indicator as some unissued weapons were restocked with crummy used ones in country. some parade weapons had no firing use but the barrels could be messed up. some matching #'s weapons were worn out and some combo #'s were really good components. i would not even consider selling mine.

The red fiberglass stocks are Viet Nam issue as the wood stocks at the time did not hold up to all the rain and heat which caused rot fairly quick
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

ya to convert to the 30 rd detatachable it only take a few minutes and works fairly well just a little tricky getting used to the SKS detachables due to the long shank to lock the magazine in the catch bolt but can get used to pretty easily. I dont have my SKS anymore but I still for some reason still have a metal and a polymer mag somewhere floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    ya to convert to the 30 rd detatachable it only take a few minutes and works fairly well just a little tricky getting used to the SKS detachables due to the long shank to lock the magazine in the catch bolt but can get used to pretty easily. I dont have my SKS anymore but I still for some reason still have a metal and a polymer mag somewhere floating around.
    Yes you just remove the hinged mag and take a dremel to the bottom of the bolt and grind abut 1/16th of material off the front. However it is illegal to swap just the magazine then it falls under 922R regulations and you have to change at least 4 parts to us parts to meet compliance. However a detachable mag counts as 3 parts so you only need to change 1 more be it the stock the gas piston etc. The magazine is broken into the body follower and floorplate so that counts for 3 of your non imported parts. 922R is a stupid law but its still a law and can get you in some deep doo doo if you dont know what your doing also ignorance of the law doesnt count.

i am thinking import dates may impact classification as to mods. never had an sks that i had to machine anything to get the detachable to fit.

you are correct to get the mag itself to fit no machining required but if you want the bolt to lock to the rear once last round is fire you have to shave a bit off the bolt due to the follower being shaped differently. Ive had 7 or 8 sks over the years and love them.

man i have had this one for 15 years and you just made me go and empty my mag and check it. locked open on last round no machining. i am not sure of why you are having to do machining as i never have. might be mine are pre ban and have a different bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I'd love to find one of the Russian or Serbian bolt rifles chambered for 7.62x39; be a good one to teach my girls on when they're old enough, shoot all day and not break the bank. I've shot a couple SKS, not a fan.
    I got in on the tailend of a group buy specifically on a couple LH Serbian Mausers recently. K-VAR is the importer of Zastavas now and I believe Century is importing them also. If you like, I can PM you the contact info of the sales guy at K-VAR and you can order one directly from them and have it sent to your pet FFL. They were really great to do business with.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=239

BTW, I am a fan of the SKS. I doubt you'd find a more rugged and reliable boat, sno-go and truck utility rifle anywhere.
    Now what ?

Bah now you made me go look it up it's been 2 or so years since I messed with it. The bolt mod allows you to insert the mag with the bolt forward. Without the mod you have to have the bolt locked to the rear to insert it thus chambering a round when u let it go unless you push down on the top round and let the bolt go forward the u are putting your fingers in from of a bolt under tension.the only way it would work without the mod is if you have a tapco bolt or a "d" model bolt since they are made for made for detachable mags.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0

thank you i did not know of that mod. i have just delt with the bolt back. with reguards to the pushing down the first round, i keep one in the pipe at all times, if i dont want a bullet in the gun i drop the mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast