Thread: Anybody shoot a Pentax K10D?

Smile Anybody shoot a Pentax K10D?

If so tell me what you like or don't like about it..

Talking Not sufficient

knock down power, stick with Brwnbr's .416. lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

smarty pants

Default So-so

Elf, I think you would be much better off and happier in the long run if you stick with Nikon or Canon. They have better features, lenses, accessories, and many more are available used if your trying to keep the price down! I shot both pentax and minnolta really early on and ended up switching to nikon and finally to canon about 6 years ago and have never looked back!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I ask because I have read that any Pentax lens will fit. Would save me the expense of extra stuff right away.

You might want to check out the review at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/

It's not perfect, but they seem to like it. The image stbilization system is pretty good, and it has a pretty good feature set for the money. It also has a good autofocus system, fairly clean high ISO images, and a better viewfinder than Canon's 30D or Rebel XTi. All in all, it's a pretty decent camera. Petax has made some very big strides with this one and the K100d.

I'm too entrenched into the Canon system to change unless compelled to. And I've been happy about that because for years now, Canon has led the way in good digital cameras, but this last year there was some serious catching up done by several competitors. Pentax being one of them. If I was thinking of buying into a digital system right now, I would be seriously tempted by the Pentax K10d. If I had a sack full of good Pentax glass, it would just be one more reason to stick with them.

Ultimately Canon and Nikon have better cameras, but to get those better cameras you're going to have to spend more money, and then spend even more to get good image stabilization lenses to do what the K10d does. If you want the best system, I think that's Canon (or possibly Nikon). But if you are not planning on spending a lot of cash, you might be better off with Pentax.

What lenses do you currently have? That is definitely a consideration, but I know the frustration I went through before I finally found a system I could really live with. Jim makes several good points though as well and something to consider.

Thanks for the link Jim. I've poured over the reviews for months and months and really haven't had the funds to spend on new equipment until now as I was out of work for a year or so due to an accident. I like the idea of using my lenses that I already have as then I won't have to be saving up for another year to buy a telephoto.

I've had the chance to shoot 2 types of Canon and also the new Nikon that just came out. I liked the Nikon it took great pics and was somewhat easy to use on the 1st try. Pentax fits my budget though and I'll probably go that route was just curious if anybody else had tried one.

Heck I'm always a little bit different from the crowd..lol

Cory,

I have some Macro stuff, telephoto,wide angle etc. Probably 5 or 6 different pieces as I bought my 1st Pentax almost 28 yrs ago ..darn I'm old..lol

In that case your right, it is probably wise to go with the pentax. The reviews for the camera I have read are not bad. It was the lenses that made me swap years ago. I am not too far behind you though, I bought my K1000 20 years ago!

Default Got you both beat

Bought a Spotmatic & three lenses in '75.

But if you're interested, I have a Canon 10D and several lenses for sale. $450 for the body. $275 for a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX.

Default Got you both beat

I think thats 32 years, but it's late & I don't count well in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I think thats 32 years, but it's late & I don't count well in the dark.
    Can't see all the fingers and toes huh?