Thread: Anyone Raise Reindeer and where to get them

Default Anyone Raise Reindeer and where to get them

I am looking for anyone that raises Reindeer and would be willing to sell 2 young non related and also the price for each on average.

I am interested in have a few Reindeer in a fenced in area to raise and possibly do 4h with in the future with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    I am looking for anyone that raises Reindeer and would be willing to sell 2 young non related and also the price for each on average.

I am interested in have a few Reindeer in a fenced in area to raise and possibly do 4h with in the future with the kids.

Check with the Reindeer Farm in Palmer (745-4000)

Better to call SARE and talk to them. Start with UAF CES. They have a list of a number of folks that have tried or are doing reindeer. I learned at the last SARE conference in October that there are all sorts of rules about owning and buying and selling reindeer (beyond the "wildilfe" issue). Something about Native ownership, etc. but I can't remember now. There are additional rules about buying from Canada. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post

Like John said about the Reindeer Farm in Palmer. Call and talk with Tom Williams 745-4000 he took on the Feds and won his case over the Reindeer. His herd stock came from Canada . I am sure that he sells animals that does not have any restrictions about the native issues.

As I understand it, all reindeer that comes from Sheldon Jackson's Russian import of 1890 (almost all of them in AK) can only be owned by an AK native. They were imported to provide AK natives with jobs and a reliable food source. But after some years, enterprising white dudes ended up with controlling interests, primarily due to lack of sustained interest on the natives part. Hence the federal law that only natives can own them. My aunt raised reindeer in Homer some years back, but originally Sheldon Jackson's primary interest for these animals were for the NW Inupiaqs.

guy on the p.w. has some said 1500 for a cow calf