Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking a new fly rods.

Default Looking a new fly rods.

Wanted to get a new fly rod. I cannot afford a 700 dollar rod. I was looking at reddington and they seemed to be good rods for a decent price. Anybody heard anything about them good or bad? Any other affordable suggestions?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I hear really good things about the TFO line. I have one of their "professional" series rods and like it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Just casted the new Orvis Clearwater the other day and was impressed for a entry level rod. Lightweight and threw a pretty good loop. Depending on size that you are looking for will only set you back around $300 including rod, reel & line. Thinking about getting a 10' 7wt for the float tube myself.

I'm a fan of the Tfo series. Great price and awesome warranty.

I would go St. Croix or Temple forks!

I have a Redington Classic Trout that I love to bits, but it may be a bit soft for a more aggressive caster. Smooth and easy to cast.

TFO is great, I own three of their rods... Their no questions asked lifetime warranty is even better!
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

just got me a st croix for xmas, havn't been able to try it out yet but have heard great things about them
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Reddington is reasonable lower line weights IMO are a little soft con casting ability. Nothing wrong with St. Criox either. I changed over to TFO a couple of years back and again IMO dollar for dollar one of the best options for higher end rods at a lower cost. Some of the biggest names in the business are working with TFO to develop new rods evey year. Bottom line when you have Teeny, Clouser, Loomis, and Lefty designing your rods and you can get into a life time warranty rod it's kind of a no brainer again IMO. High end BVX or Axioms are under 300.00 bucks.

Best of luck with your choice. Casting clinics at the Anchorgae and Fairbanks outdoor shows this year would give you the ability to test some products and find a rod that fits your casting needs.

Redington is the low cost division of Far Bank Ent. so they should have quality control similar to their high end division Sage. The few I've played with seem just fine.

Most of my experience has been with the TFO blanks. THe TFO are low priced and have an exchange plan for when things happen. I've used it and had no hassles.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I have a cheap redington (the combo was $105 in 2007) that I bought with money from recycling bottles and cans while living on student loans. It's okay, but it's heavy and doesn't cast incredibly well. I sure have caught a lot of fish on that thing.

Blue moose - clean out yer inbox!
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

MAKE ME! :-) Done! Thanks for letting me know.

Check out the TFO BVK rods. Bought two for the wife a few months back.

Sweet sticks that don't break the bank.

TFO warranty as mentioned above.

-Dan

I use an 8wt Redington for Kasilof Kings and Kenai Reds.... It's been maxed out more than a few times on the kings, but it still keeps hangin' in there....

Check out Echo rods, especially the Ion series. It has a full complement of powerful sticks with nice touch, for good control on long or short casts -- at under $200. I believe that both World Wide Angler and Mossy's carry the Echo products.

Wait and see if there are gonna be any deals at the Sportsman's Show.....

If you get a chance come to the Mat-Su Sportsmans Show today, at 3 River they have two models ST Croix rods on sale, entry and the next step up. Today is the last day untill next week in Anchorage. Both rods around 100 bucks, 1 under and the other...

George

I have 2 TFO's (NXT combo 8/9 wt. and a 5wt Professional series). Great rods for great prices. I too have used the warranty due to my own stupidity and as mentioned they are the best. Period. I'm looking at another one from them (10 wt professional series) for kings. Can't go wrong with TFO...

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    TFO is great, I own three of their rods... Their no questions asked lifetime warranty is even better!

That's because it costs them less than $15 to build that rod and they expect you to break a rod at least three times while owning it, so they charge you in advance for thse cost of those rods.

I would go with St. Croix. Made in America and great warranty on their rods. Plus their prices are reasonable.

Sage makes some middle of the road rods, but I don't know what you're looking to spend. I for one believe in you get what you pay for, but a good single hand rod isn't going to help you catch more fish, might help you cast a little bit better, but if you're chucking any lead then you might as well get an uglystick fly rod.

If you were going for a spey rod, then I'd say the investment is well worth it. Doesn't seem like you're looking for a "delicate" dry fly rod, so just find something in your price range and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    If you get a chance come to the Mat-Su Sportsmans Show today, at 3 River they have two models ST Croix rods on sale, entry and the next step up. Today is the last day untill next week in Anchorage. Both rods around 100 bucks, 1 under and the other...

George
    Hitting the one in anchorage if I can get a day off.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast