Thread: Dreaming of Alaska,,, passing the time chasing trout in NY

Default Dreaming of Alaska,,, passing the time chasing trout in NY

I'm hoping to make it back to Alaska again this year probably in September. Since that's still a long way off, when I'm not watching Larry Csonka on the boob tube and dreaming of AK, I've been chasing some trout in upstate New York. I got out for a long weekend to celebrate St Pattys day with a few buddies. We fished the Lower Niagara River in hopes of catching a few trout and maybe a good beer buzz : ) We caught the beer buzz early and the fish cooperated too. It wasn't on fire, but enough players around to keep it interesting. I thought I'd throw up a report, because I enjoy reading your reports and dreaming of Alaska soooooooo much. Here's a few pics of our better fish from the weekend

tightlines

Nice fish looks like you had a very good weekend
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Incredibly beautiful fish. Congrats. Totally sucky backdrop though I guess that's what you have to deal with. It's surely better than not catching fish in a pretty place. I'm happy to find I'm not the only one that loves to mix catching fish with drinking beer and longing for the Alaska experience.

thats a lot of big dead trout

Congrats on the big bows....!!!

Bunch of nice fish............thanks for the look. Steelhead,....looks like a big Brown trout (2nd to last pic?) and a Laker (Macinaw) in last pic?? Is that correct??
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

To help you dream.....

A big bow I caught on the Kenai years ago.....

@ 4merguide,,that's a beauty bow,,,@ Powder we keep the browns and let the steelies and lakers go, and Cod your fish ID is right on.

Nice fish for sure! Looks like fun!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Omg thats the area I first learned to fish..... I use to live near Rochester Ny and we would go hit the clubs on Canada side of Niagra on Saturday nites then Sunday fish all day on the lower river

Dang, I just came back from New York, and when I inquired on various NY chat forums, and with a few outfitters before my trip, everyone told me it was too early to fish for much of anything in the NY area! I wish I would have gotten ahold of you before my trip... nice pics
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I miss fishing NY. Used to run charters with my old man out of Point Breeze. Steely fishing way better on the Great Lakes, especially if the rivers don't freeze, and if they do, ge the ice gear out.

@ wicked,,,, the lower niagara is by far one of my favorites. You never know what's gonna bite, but you know there are some monsters down there.

@ mark If you were around NYC, buffalo is about 6 hours away. The fishing in eastern NY is just starting, but the fishing out west is year round. Like Abel said, if the rivers aren't flowin we break out our hardwater gear. Good times, but it's still fishing, not catching like ya'll do up there : )

Quote Originally Posted by nbajack70 View Post
    @ wicked,,,, the lower niagara is by far one of my favorites. You never know what's gonna bite, but you know there are some monsters down there.

@ mark If you were around NYC, buffalo is about 6 hours away. The fishing in eastern NY is just starting, but the fishing out west is year round. Like Abel said, if the rivers aren't flowin we break out our hardwater gear. Good times, but it's still fishing, not catching like ya'll do up there : )

Yeah Monster down there for sure, the only thing was I was almost always the one who had the Most Fun the night before so that really had a bit of effect on performance. (don't regret any of it thought) I never got any like those big ones in the pictures you posted but what I did get was motovation to return again and again....

I'm picturing you sprawled out on shore humming Ohhhh Canada : ) The ladies just across the border are certainly stellar.

good times

Quote Originally Posted by nbajack70 View Post
    I'm picturing you sprawled out on shore humming Ohhhh Canada : ) The ladies just across the border are certainly stellar.

good times
    How did you know????? OMG actually like that in the back of the boat......