Thread: drop off hunt info

Default drop off hunt info

Can anyone recomend an air service out of kotzwbue or nome.
    This fall we are looking to hunt caribou, moose and grizzly
    Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary
    I'm not sure about Kotz but hunting on foot anywhere near Nome is probably not going to be very productive. Although there are plenty of animals in the area, they are really spread out over a lot of country. Most hunting there is done from snowmachines with Dec/Jan being good for moose with most Griz hunting done in the spring. Give me a call and we can talk some about hunting out of Nome. I'm working nights. cell# 854 3652 Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Can anyone recomend an air service out of kotzwbue or nome.
    This fall we are looking to hunt caribou, moose and grizzly
    Thanks
    Drop me a line on this one, okay? Lots of dynamics out of Kotzebue these days and you're probably too late to get a good charter out of there for 2012. Lots of other options though.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I wouldn't say there are lots of dynamics out of Kotz. There are 4 or so transporters there and all have good reviews on this forum. I know for a fact that Jason, with Golden Eagle Outfitters will make a real effort to put you in a good place.
    Nome is another story. There is either one, or 0 transporters out of Nome. Only one I know of is Sen. Donny Olsen. He uses a 182 out of Nome in the fall. There are a couple spots he can drop you for Moose, with decent chance at griz, but not so decent for bou.
    A float out of Kotz would be your best shot I think.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I wouldn't say there are lots of dynamics out of Kotz. There are 4 or so transporters there and all have good reviews on this forum. I know for a fact that Jason, with Golden Eagle Outfitters will make a real effort to put you in a good place.
    Nome is another story. There is either one, or 0 transporters out of Nome. Only one I know of is Sen. Donny Olsen. He uses a 182 out of Nome in the fall. There are a couple spots he can drop you for Moose, with decent chance at griz, but not so decent for bou.
    A float out of Kotz would be your best shot I think.
    MT,

Some of the "dynamics" I'm referring to are the following:

Draw for moose in most areas

Restricted aircraft access along most of the Noatak River during hunting season

Limited number of air charter seats during hunting season (some charters are booked 18 months or more in advance)

Hyper-sensitivity against non-local hunters among a significant segment of the population of Kotz and Noatak village

Changing migration timing and routes for caribou in recent years

There are other issues, but these are a start. Any one of those factors is a potential "negative" for non-local hunters. The fact that many non-locals continue to hunt out of OTZ though, is evidence that none of these obstacles are insurmountable. But it is wise to be aware of them and to take appropriate action to ensure the success of what can be one of the most expensive "mainstream" hunts in the state for non-locals. For those interested in the actual costs involved, in this year's numbers, check our Hunt Costs page; this is a portion of my seminars on "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", which I am in the process of converting to an online resource. I just updated it several days ago, with precisely this hunt in mind. There are certainly ways to shave the costs down, and some of those are outlined on that page. But there are certainly some different dynamics up Kotzebue way.

Apologies for not fleshing this out earlier; I was trying to address this on my iPhone, which is not the best tool for typing forum posts that include hyperlinks and such.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Good link Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Gary, I assume you have already done some research to decide upon Kotz. I'll assume that you know, as a resident, you can hunt moose in unit 23 on a harvest ticket. I'll also assume you can work with a transporter to find and get dropped in a good area.
    As I said, I know Jason will do you right. He is my recommendation for someone spending the moola your going to have to spend to hunt out of Kotz.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Back in 99 I hunt the Agi river out of Kotz... Did great with Caribou. Saw allot of Grizz.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good hunting area's always have some sort of Dynamics. If it wasn't a good hunting area, you would'nt ever hear anything about it! I've hunted out of Kotzebue numerous times and I've always had a good trip. Never had an encounter with anyone in the field and we never saw anyone else while we were in the field. I've hunted off the haul road and it was the most miserable trip I've ever done in my life and I won't do it again or recommend it to anyone. No matter where you go, I would recommend goiing with someone that has years of experience in an area and that has been in business for a number of years. If someone has operated for many years and they are still in business and alive they must be doing something right. One thing about Kotzebue is that there is great Moose Hunting, Great Caribou Hunting, Great Fishing and Great Camping. It's an all around place to enjoy if your an outdoors man. I'll be back up there this fall!

The air service I went with is not longer in business.
    Im just looking for a good air service with knowledge of the area.

In a few years I plan to float the Noatak river.

This trip just came out of no where and my friend and I are looking to head up north (kotzbue).

Im an exp hunter and understand the dynamics of where each animal live.
    I understand it might be late trying to get an air taxi now but you never now uuntil you try. If not we will go next year and just head to Kodiak for Deer!!!!!
    I appreciate all that have posted!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK