Thread: Inlet Tractor Launch - Best way in and out

Default Inlet Tractor Launch - Best way in and out

I have chartered via the beach tractor and was surprised by the power/speed required to control the boat during capture. Watching the process and the antics occasionally resulting from weather and tide cause me concern about the potential for damage to my boat/trailer. I would like to try using the tractor this year but would like to hear your recommendations for trailer modifications and advice for launching/capturing safely.

Charterboat Operator

Default Tractors

Let the fun begin.
    first of all, what type of boat do you own?
    best recomendations: LARGE PUSH PLATEon top of you trailer winch. using the standard rollers can be brutally painful on your bow. This is more for launching than landing. when the tractors are pushing you back thru the surf, the rear has a tendency to rise w/ the waves which in turn raises the bow. the bow has a tendency to depart from the typical rollers. this large plat will allow the tractor driver to be a little more gentle with the splash knowing the bow will remain in place. also is a benifit for landing, specifically in a running tide. allows you to ram your boat, gracefully, into the bow catch and hold it there under power as it is bieng connected to the trailer.
    rigid guide ons that will extend above the water line. make sure they are STOUT!
    many times you will need to aim for the up current side of the trailer, drive the boat onto and beyond the guide on then pull power to settle in in straight and re apply power to get it all the way to the catch.
    beach landing is very similar to loading a boat in a river current, you just have to drive it on!

I understand about having to have heavy duty tall side bunks/ guides but what is a push plate? I know what the standard rollers are and I have had trailers with the poly V's either one or two instead of rollers, but what is a push plate? The poly V's are nice but a pain when they flip over as you are winching the bow tight up against them.

Default Tractor Safety

Kingfisher 2625, 27' X 9.5 beam, King Trailer -- The trailer bunks are not beefy and not above water level, there is only the factory minimum winch setup. Could you post a photo of the equipment modifications you are describing?

Charterboat Operator

i will get one either this afternoon or in the morning.

Thumbs down

Here we go again! The Tractors SUCK! The biggest rip off on the peninsula!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Whoa ! -- sorry to have struck a nerve

I take it that you have an opinion about tractor launching. By the sound of it this is a familiar topic with one or more of you out there -- to me it's new. Should I bag this topic or risk building a wild fire? You bet --- I would enjoy learning of your experiences -- give me all you have.

Charterboat Operator

Default tractor bashing

every one is titled to there own opinion, at least i know there will be one less person in line To me i think the service is invaluable. could spend the extra 30 minutes driving to homer, pay 12.00 for the launch, put the boat in, park the truck, walk back to the boat,spend 10 minutes ideing out of the harbor, then run for 25-30 minutes (good water) to start fishing.
    using the tractor, i can pay my 45 bucks and be fishing in 10 minutes!

$ 45.00 or 2+ hrs and extra gas. my time is worth alot more than that and i would MUCH rather spend it fishing! JM2C.

i will post pics of the push plate as soon as i can figure out how to get them into the site!

Its all about access. With the price of gas and the time invested to go to Anchor point, the $45 plus $5 to park is just not worth it anymore. More than that, it was the operators attitude toward the little guys. When I inquired why the price had risen so much over the past few years, I was told that he was the only game in town and regardless, I would be back. He said that he charges the same as he charges the charters.

Now forgive me if I am wrong, but why should I be ripped off just because he wanted to cater to the charters! I didn't go back! I now enjoy PWS. I save lots of money, catch more fish and don't have to put up with jerks who believe they are the only game in town.

By the way I am also for a boat launch at Willow creek. Launching fees would be cheaper than Deshka Landing.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/