Thread: Mileage on the Kongakut

Default Mileage on the Kongakut

Hello,

Does anyone know the mileage from Drain Creek to Caribou Pass on the Kongakut? Also, is there a charter plane company that will drop you off on the river above Drain Creek? And finally, about how many miles hike is it from Caribou Pass to the sea?

Thanks in advance,

Tony in Tucson

Tony, Drain Creek to Caribou Pass is about 55 miles. You would be better off, IMO, to land at drain creek with a normal route drop off for the cost, and then hiking upstream to another point of your desired start. Might find a cub pilot to locate a gravel strip, but it'll cost you more to get everything IN due to distance and number of flights adding up.

It takes about 2 full days to hike from Caribou Pass to the sea. Not a pleasant hike over tussocks or following the river channel.

Larry

Thanks Larry. It's for a rafting trip. Do you know of people floating all the way to the sea?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Tony, Drain Creek to Caribou Pass is about 55 miles. You would be better off, IMO, to land at drain creek with a normal route drop off for the cost, and then hiking upstream to another point of your desired start. Might find a cub pilot to locate a gravel strip, but it'll cost you more to get everything IN due to distance and number of flights adding up.

It takes about 2 full days to hike from Caribou Pass to the sea. Not a pleasant hike over tussocks or following the river channel.

Larry

It's been a while since I ran the numbers on this one, but my calculations showed 44 miles from Drain Creek to Caribou Pass. It's another nine miles down to Baseline Creek, another possible take-out.

You might be interested in our DVD, "Kongakut River Odyssey". It's essentially a travelogue of the entire river from the headwaters to the Beaufort Sea. The guys who are featured on the video floated all the way to the salt, so it covers the area you plan to float. As far as I know it is the only DVD resource on that river.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

yes, it's windy on the plains, but kayakers do it often. Takes about 8 hours or so. times vary depending on water levels and headwinds.

Default Kongakut to the sea

Thanks Mike. While I am intrigued by the video idea, I'd rather not see it. I want to have no preconceptions about what I am going to see. IE I want to be surprised.

But, I would like to know what I am getting myself in to. I am most curious about the leg from Caribou Pass to the Sea. Am I likely to have good water levels in late July/early August? Does the channel get so braided that regardless of the water levels, I will have to drag a few miles?

I have had no luck getting in touch with Karen Jetmar, and the Kongakut is not in her book.

Thanks,

Tony in Tucson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    It's been a while since I ran the numbers on this one, but my calculations showed 44 miles from Drain Creek to Caribou Pass. It's another nine miles down to Baseline Creek, another possible take-out.

You might be interested in our DVD, "Kongakut River Odyssey". It's essentially a travelogue of the entire river from the headwaters to the Beaufort Sea. The guys who are featured on the video floated all the way to the salt, so it covers the area you plan to float. As far as I know it is the only DVD resource on that river.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

it's not a beutiful float to the salt water, but it's doable. wind and braids give some concern, but dragging usually isn't bad in june. Best time to go is early to late june when bugs are scarce and water levels are higher after thaw.

Larry, we will be there late July.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    it's not a beutiful float to the salt water, but it's doable. wind and braids give some concern, but dragging usually isn't bad in june. Best time to go is early to late june when bugs are scarce and water levels are higher after thaw.