Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The tides have turned in Kodiak

Default The tides have turned in Kodiak

I think it's safe to say, winter is slowly starting to loose the battle. Temps are still a little on the chilly side, and no, I doubt we've seen the last of our snowfall. But everyday the streets get wider, you can now see the gravel on the shoulders of the road, haven't seen that since Oct. Everyday there's more and more water running off the roofs and down the streets. Old man winter just can't handle the long daylight hours we're getting now. I was glad to see it come, and I'll be glad to see it leave. Hope this sunshine keeps up.

Yes I just put a jinx on the hole dadgum thing

ya nice work abel, better go buy a snowblower that you've said that!! lol
    i hope it starts easing up down there, the deer had a tough fall, a tough spring would break their backs even worse!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Funny...we are getting flowers up here and I am SURE we will get more snow...you are a cup half full guy

Bet some bears are getting a little wet. Any sightings, yet?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Bet some bears are getting a little wet. Any sightings, yet?
    Yes.....somebody saw a bear out Swanson river road.....don't know if it was black or brown.

But Monday it snowed in Kenai all day then cleared off and was nice that evening. It's been below zero every morning this week at my house. -9 yesterday....-8 this morn. But it's been beautiful during the day that's for sure. Even tho I don't believe it's been getting above freezing.

Supposed to get snow tomorrow night, I've heard as much as 4", but then it's supposed to be int eh md to upper 30's all next week, typical Kodiak weather. Deer, well, they need the break bad. They're bedding down on the snow berms on teh isdes of the road, teh couple I saw today, real close to em on base, they startin to look ruff. As long as it does break soon they should be good. Bears, my CWO said he had one take his trash can the other night. I'm heading out to do an over nighter Friday night, maybe I'll see something.

still pretty cold up in the mtns..no sign of really melting yet, i'm still thinking its gonna be late april before we start seeing them up north....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

"I was glad to see it come, and I'll be glad to see it leave"I have to agree with you on that one. The last couple of days I've been coming home from school and laying on my couch that is catching some afternoon sun. I had forgotten how good it feels to soak in the golden light. The last bear I've heard about was last seen in January roaming between the college and Safeway. Haven't heard of any recent sightings on that one. I think if we have another week or two of this then we might see a few more browns. On a sour note, I did hear about another big system rolling in this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't leave much behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I think it's safe to say, winter is slowly starting to loose the battle. Temps are still a little on the chilly side, and no, I doubt we've seen the last of our snowfall. But everyday the streets get wider, you can now see the gravel on the shoulders of the road, haven't seen that since Oct. Everyday there's more and more water running off the roofs and down the streets. Old man winter just can't handle the long daylight hours we're getting now. I was glad to see it come, and I'll be glad to see it leave. Hope this sunshine keeps up.

Yes I just put a jinx on the hole dadgum thing

yea, just a few months till freeze up...lol

Just got another couple inches overnight...

Ya, but it won't be around long.

Yes it was cold and snowy here yesterday too. But it's nice again today. Currently sitting right at freezing.

Nice and sunny here today on the Rock.

Yes it is......

Lots of water running off the roof and down the roads today. The creek up where I was bird huntin was a little more open and more water than last time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Lots of water running off the roof and down the roads today. The creek up where I was bird huntin was a little more open and more water than last time too.
    Just wondering what birds you were hunting?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Ptarmigan my man.

Find any of those birds? I need to try some of the jerky recipes the Alutiiq museum put out.

Wow, a few new Kodiak residents around here now. Good to see.

Time will tell if this recent better weather turns the table on the deer mortality from this rough winter. We've still got to get through early April, which historically can bring another blizzard or two. Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Time will tell if this recent better weather turns the table on the deer mortality from this rough winter. We've still got to get through early April, which historically can bring another blizzard or two. Hopefully not.
    Yup, March and April can sometimes be the worst snow months. And that's the time of year the deer need a break. The longer the snow hangs around, the worse it is. The deer need to get on the green-up plants. The longer they stay covered, the worse it is on the herd. They stay grouped up in the low lands and there's less for each deer. They need to be able to spread out up the mountains.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast