Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Holster recomendation for Freedom Arms 83

Default Chest Holster recomendation for Freedom Arms 83

I just scored a Freedom Arms model 83 454 with a 7 1/2 barrel and I was thinking about the guide choice chest holsters from diamond D or I think that is there name. I have the square cordura holster for my ruger alaskan and I like it a lot, but the leather guide choice looked very nice and maybe more comfortable. If anyone carries a 7 1/2 revolver and has a recommendation for what works for them, that would be great. I'm not even sure if they make the cordura model long enough. I carried a scoped TC in one of the uncle mikes chest holster and it worked but not very nice or comfortable. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

That's the name and that's what you want, not cheap but well worth it.

Here ya go:
    http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had a vertical under the shoulder nylon holster that worked fine with my iron sighted 7.5" BFR, not so well with a scope.

I also have a Galco for my X-frame Smith, a Kodiak I think. It came from the factory for an 8" barrel and I used that way without too much inconveniece, though I eventually cut it down to match my 4" barreled Smith.

The Galco was (and still is) the most expensive holster I ever bought, but now that it is I think four years old I don't regret the purchase price anymore. I think www.usgalco.com , dunno if they make one for your gun.

It seems that I saw them at the sportsman show last year, so I might have to look for them and pick one up. Do you have the shell holder with yours also? I like the looks of that also.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    It seems that I saw them at the sportsman show last year, so I might have to look for them and pick one up. Do you have the shell holder with yours also? I like the looks of that also.
    I have it on one rig, with your single action it's worth the $30 or so they want for it. I have some speed loaders I got from them for my 460s and now want a holder for that. Pricy stuff but there just is no better more comfortable well made chest rig for a large gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Pardon the distraction, but I was wondering the same for my .460 S&W 5". I looked at the "guide choice" the other day and thought that it would be hot and sweaty since it covers so much of the belly and chest area ?

I like the idea of a "convertible" holster and am considering a cross draw waist holster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Pardon the distraction, but I was wondering the same for my .460 S&W 5". I looked at the "guide choice" the other day and thought that it would be hot and sweaty since it covers so much of the belly and chest area ?

I like the idea of a "convertible" holster and am considering a cross draw waist holster as well.
    I pack 460V (thatís why I bought the first one) in one all summer long and it's way better than any other way I have packed any gun ever. If you get a hot spot you just move it over or up or down, super easy to do with the strap and it stays put amazingly well wherever ya snug it back down.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Diamond D is the only way to go in my opinion.

Diamond D's are very nice, high quality holsters. Never owned one but have looked at them. Couple of weeks ago I went looking for a chest holster to carry a scoped S&W .44 mag for an upcoming sheep hunt and wanted something light but durable.
    Ordered one of these from Amazon for about $65:
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=4101

It is actually nicer than I thought and weighs only 12 ounces on my scale. It doesnt show this, but it also has a sewn in belt loop so you can thread the bottom of the holster through a belt to anchor it to your body. They make versions for both scoped and non scoped revolvers.

I use a leather chest rig from El Paso Saddlery for my 4" 500, and a 'Doc Holiday' model chest rig from Rowe Leather
    in Arkasas for my 5" 629. The Rowe rig is super adjustable and comfortable. If I were to get another chest rig it would be from them or Dimond D.

I may be biased as Rowe has made quite a few knife sheaths for me and I really like the worksmanship.

BEE

I examined a "Diamond D" holster at the "show" yesterday, pending the return of my pistol form S&W I think I may get one.

I have to +1 on the Guide's Choice. Have one for my 44 mag Redhawk. I can carry it all day and not be annoyed by the gun at the end of the day.

Don't forget to look at the simply rugged chest holster as well, here is the link:

http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-p...ersion-system/

I bought this one for my S&W model 629-1. It works well!

DaggaBoyAK

I have a question about holsters in gereral. For a large, heavy handgun like the ones mentioned, would a chest holster be more comfortable than the leg-thigh holsters that I see the AF cops using on Eielson?
    And during a panic bear attack, which holster would be the fastest and most useful? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaggaBoyAK View Post
    I have a question about holsters in gereral. For a large, heavy handgun like the ones mentioned, would a chest holster be more comfortable than the leg-thigh holsters that I see the AF cops using on Eielson?
    Yes, very much so. A good chest rig is by far the most comfortable way to pack a heavy or bulky revolver, it applies the weight to the front of your body a lot like the 3 point rifle slings do. I forget a 4 pound revolver is even on me in a good chest rig.

And during a panic bear attack, which holster would be the fastest and most useful? Thanks
    Well your gun in your hand is fastest, a quick draw cup holster would be next fastest but neither of those is practical in the field. Drawing from the hip will be faster than from the chest unless your pants and gun fell down to your ankles because there is a big hunk of steel on your belt. Drawing from belt, chest, or shoulder holster (shoulder being slowest) are all fast enough with some getting used to. As long as speed is fast enough comfort trumps speed because you will definitely pack it, itís always on you but you may never need to draw it fast, you donĎt always get attached. Chose your rig on comfortable enough that you will acutely take the gun first then if you can draw fast enough, itís very hard to deploy a gun you left in the truck with any reasonable speed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

One thing I could never get used to with a typical chest or shoulder rig was having to continually take the rig off and put it back on as I stripped or added layers of clothing. I got tired of all the straps, snaps, buckles, etc. and having to adjust the sizing to fit over my heavy jacket and not be loose when shedding the heavy jacket to start walking again. The exception to that is the Wyoming Combination Holster which is a Banderlo style with snaps. It's "a snap" to take on and off. I had one made for my scoped Bisley Hunter. Von Ringler makes them custom for your gun. http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/catalog/i2.html

Here's a writeup I did a couple years ago. I have used it in the field and really like it. But, for my 4" Redhawk it goes on my belt in a Simply Rugged pancake.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ng+combination
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

DaggaBoyAK

ADfields-Interesting and I believe, understand accurate points you wrote out. So I think one way to look at this situation is to practice, practice, practice for a situation that one hopes never actually happens. Thank you for your input concerning my questions.

Most of my carry time is in wet conditions so the leg holster under or over rain gear is not an option. I use a guides choice inside the zip up sweater and under the rain gear. With pratice its almost as fast as when on the range in street clothes. I loose 1 to 2 seconds clearing the outer coat. If I have crabbing gloves on I am toast.

When carring a firearm on the side of your leg in the brush you will eventually end up with a gun packed with twigs and muck. If its on your chest or waist you stay more aware of whats happening to the gun and keep it clear of debris. When on an ATV or boat you will find that leg holster hitting things often enough that you need to inspect the weapon frequently.

As others have said, the fastest holster is the one you are comfortable with and practice with often. Some dudes are deadly with a cross draw with a thumb break. But without range time its all a gamble.

I used to carry the redhawk in a blackhawk tactical chest holster like the AK Sportsman. The buckle takes two hands and my messing with it nearly got me moose stomped while out fishing years ago. Never deploy a holster system that requires two hands or modification to make it effective for the task you bought it for.

As for the guides choice being sweaty. I'm sweaty when I am outside working, so any holster will be a small issue. I find the work backpack a bigger comfort issue when hot than the holster.

DaggaBoyAK

Without hijacking kobuks thread, all this information has been enlightening for me. Thanks you AK Ray for your post. All good information with spring approaching and bears emerging from their winter sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    One thing I could never get used to with a typical chest or shoulder rig was having to continually take the rig off and put it back on as I stripped or added layers of clothing. I got tired of all the straps, snaps, buckles, etc. and having to adjust the sizing to fit over my heavy jacket and not be loose when shedding the heavy jacket to start walking again.
    That was my experience with the Sourdough Chesty Puller, itís a good rig and a great holster but a pain on and off. The Guides Choice with that genius nylon strap and buckle is not like that at all, itís faster on and off and adjusting for me than my coat and rain gear.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast