Thread: High quality marine plywood

Default High quality marine plywood

Can anyone lead me to a dealer of high quality marine grade plywood in the Anchorage area? I'm putting on a new bottom in a wood drift boat. Thanks!

If you want Okoume BS1088 marine ply go to Hardware Spealities just south of International and Arctic. They will have to order it, but with two to three shipments a month it will show up pretty quick. They do not add freight onto the cost.

If you want Fir marine ply go to Spenards and see what they have on the shelf.

SBS carries marine grade plywood. Should be in stock in their yard. About $50 a sheet.

While the spruce marine grade ply SBS sells is a marine ply, it doesn't fit the bill of high quality. It splinters horribly when you cut it, takes alot more epoxy to seal the grain, and the surface after glassing is wavy so alot more labor to sand it smooth.

Go with the BS1088 okume, it is a joy to work with. I used mostly bs6566 meranti and a few sheets of the SBS spruce and a bit of 1088 okume. If I'd appreciated how much better the okume it's benefit I certainly would have gone entirely with the okume.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    While the spruce marine grade ply SBS sells is a marine ply, it doesn't fit the bill of high quality. It splinters horribly when you cut it
    Ply will not splinter if you knife along the pencil line before cutting; that's why cabinet shops spend $40,000 on table saws with "pre-scoring" blades. Adds only a few minutes to your total build time.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks for the info! Looks like BS1088 is what I'll be floating on.