Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad dream

Wasn't a hunting trip (I've yet to forget anything on a hunting trip, use lists, double-check, and strict attention to detail), but on a snowmachine trip a few years ago, a buddy and I load up the machines and drive 2 hours to the end of the road in a remote area. Get the machines fired up and pulled off the trailer, then go about putting on our snow gear for a long day of riding. This is when my buddy discovers that he forgot his snow boots. He insisted that we go riding anyway. So, we ended up going for a much shorter ride with him wearing the deck slippers that he had on for the drive out. Needless to say, I don't think he had a very fun time and we had to stop and build a warming fire before he finally agreed that we might as well just call it a day and head home before he got frostbite.

I was nice enough to take pictures and like a good buddy, I remind him frequently about that day. He's never forgotten his boots again.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I was in charge of a pump for our inflatable canoes on a 10 day float hunt in the brookes a couple years ago. I set it out on purpose so I could make sure that I had all of the right adapters to inflate all of the boats going it was still sitting in the mIddle of the garage floor when my wife discovered it some 8 or so hours later. I made an impromptu trip back to wiseman where someone at one of the lodges or b&b's had one that he so kindly loaned to me for the week. That one was on the check list and had been checked three times, just didn't get loaded. Then we did a fly in sheep hunt a few years back and as I was loading my gear into the plane I discovered that I was missing my pack frame, oops! 450 miles from home and a small window of good weather to get out in the plane I chose to just go without. That's where my camera man friend came in and let me borrow his. It was leaning up against the work table a week later when I got home, once again on the list and checked off a couple of times, just didn't make it into the truck. Oops!

February registration cow moose hunt across the Tanana onsnow machines. -20 below temps, 40 miles and 5 hours later we get to huntingspot and start setting up camp. There is about 2 feet of snow on the groundthat we set the tent up on. I roll out my sleeping bag and realize I donít havea sleeping pad. I tried to make do with what I had but ended up freezing mybutt off and probably looked like a fish out of water because of all the flipflopping I had to do to keep from freezing.
    T
    hat was 6 years ago and I have never forgotten the sleepingpad since.

My hunting partner and I flew into Deadman's Bay down on the south end of Kodiak for a deer hunt. About three hours after th plane left, he told me couldn't find his magazine for rifle.... luckly I had brought three for mine and we had the same model and caliber. I had talked him into that earlier in the year.

Once took the step son moose hunting where he had a any bull tag and I had a draw cow tag-- he forgot his tags, and ammo for moose rifle, but did bring a 223 for fox and rabbits.

needless to say, the first 5 (five) moose we seen had horns, luckly we discovered the lack of tag before harvesting a bull. Discovered that fact when he couldn't find his "special" moose ammo, and the first bull escaped unharmed.

Now, I try to remember to ask him if got everything before we leave my driveway.
    (Usaully works, well okay.. most of the time?)

Chris

Was on a fall black bear hunt in Northern Ontario one year and took along a friend. He was a well organized type but had never hunted big game. We pulled 2 four-wheelers up with us as this camp was set up so that after the first day of the guide showing you your bait stand you were expected to rebait as you hunted. So first day we drive 60 miles to a meeting spot and waited for the guide - he had shown some other hunters their sites and arrived to help us. I jumped on the Honda and no keys - what??? Bryan said Uh, I saw them left in the ignitions last night and took them into the cabin so they would be safe.. It was too late in the day to make the 2 hr round trip so we lost our first day of hunting....
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

Originally Posted by Bullelkklr
    Tell me more about how you pumped up the zodiac with a contractor bag..or did you just blow up the bag and swim with it ?

Several ways to do it. One method is to cut the corner off the bottom of the bag and tape it to the valve. Open the bag and get as much air inside as possible. Roll the top of the bag down and push the air through the corner, into the valve and into the boat. Takes forever and doesn't fully inflate the boat either.

-Mike

Yes, like Mike said there may be several ways. The best way we found was to cut a small hole in one corner, thred it onto the removable portion of the valve, fill the bag with a big gulp of air, roll the top, and squeeze (like filling a donut?). The bag will strain/tear as you go about filling each chamber and must be strong to start with. At each tear, we would simply tie it off like a balloon and continue squeezing. When each chamber was near full (had to "top off" by mouth) we would carefully use a knife to trim/cut the bag off the valve and move to the next chamber. It's not ideal, but it works - we figured it only cost us an additional 45 minutes to inflate the boat with the bag. We'd still be there blowing if we hadn't had that bag...

Well, actually, our friend found the pump in the back of his mom's pickup and sent it out with Andrews the following day. But, we were already up the mountain early that morning having lost little time the afternoon before. Thanks to a good friend and Andrews. Oh, my partner, shown in the photo inflating the boat, took a beautiful boar the day after the pump mishap.

Yankee injuinity (sorry I could't find spell check )

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Many years ago, did a fly in drop hunt for caribou. We were in a twin otter, so we didn't have to scrimp on gear or space. After the plane left us with our pile of gear on the lake shore, we proceeded to set up camp. Got the tent set up and layed out out the sleeping pads...wait...3 guys, 3 pads, but only two sleeping bags. Crap! We figured that one of the bags was left in the plane, and once the pilot noticed, he would drop it off the next day or so....well, that didn't happen. Eight days later we were picked up and made our way back to town where I found my bag neatly packed on the back seat of my truck. That was 20+ years and many hunting trips ago, and to this day, we triple check to be sure we have the same number of bags as we do hunters.

Forgot the ' 2 campfire medicinal bottles' once on a 5 day packin & out with 3 friends,,,amazing how fast they changed,,, after a 14 hr walk and settin up camp,, good thing I didn't forget my rifle.....jeeeez they had bad atitudes....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12