Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad dream

Default Bad dream

Just thought I would share a bad dream last night since it applies to hunting. My dad and I were heading down the yukon and it was getting late. We had been traveling all day on the river and we stopped to setup camp. This is when I realized I did not have my pack, tent, or sleeping bag. That would suck, I have never forgot any gear that was essential, but I have forgot minor things. Have any of you ever forgot something important?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have a friend that has forgot his gun more than once - all were only day trips but good grief!
    2 years ago on a boat in moose hunt I left my duffle bag with all my underwear, shirts, pants etc 15 miles away in my vehicle - actually I thought we were returning to make another trip same day but it was still a major goof up as it was 3 days later before we returned!
    One things for sure, when other hunters see you hunting "naked" they tend to leave you alone and give you plenty of room!
    I have always fear'd leaving ammo behind, but so far I have made it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well I left our cook stove once, I brought 4 cans of fuel but no cook stove. My friend ended up bringing his stove but he didnt have any fuel so it worked out pretty good. Im always running over checklist and stuff right as we are leaving so as to make sure I remember every thing lol.

I left my turkey calls on a spring turkey hunt in Wyoming.....I got a bunch of new ones though we had to drive to town to get them...

I have left my fishing license at camp when invited to fish with a buddy on the Kenai - he hooked up right away - it was hot first off in the morning. He bonked and we went to get our licenses - fished the rest of the very rainy day without a take down!

I always check and double check. So, on a late season Blacktail Kodiak hunt the 3 of us flew in with steve H and we made a 3 man shuttle to unload the gear. As he was leaving we realized WHAT, where's the BLAZO.We all seen him load it on the plane. Oh well, he'll see it when he gets back and on his next trip he'll drop it off. Yeah, RIGHT.

So, my partner and I(several days later made about a 4 mile hike, found a cabin and lo and behold about a half a gallon of blazo. No lantern guys just enough for a quick meal. Oh, was that your fuel he said when he picked us up? we all had a big laugh.

I go through checklists about 5 times so, knock on wood, I haven't forgotten anything essential. I do know a guy that forgot the bolt for his rifle. Didn't realize it until they were dropped off on Kodiak for a deer hunt.

once both me and my brother left our hunting rifles! we used an old single shot shotgun with slugs that was at the cabin we were staying at.

I don't like to drive with my boots on on many day outings I have forgotten my boots.

an matches I am really good at forgetting matches!

dad and the 2 guys that went hunting with him on a 11 day caribou hunt 6 or 7 years are all forgot toilet paper, and to this day that is always the first thing I pack cause I remember getting home and seeing 4 rolls of toilet paper, smashed flat, sitting on the window sill next to the door....Classic.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have a recurring dream that I've come back to my moose hunting area and found it paved over with strip malls, fast food joints, and cheap motels. Talk about waking up in a cold sweat!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I once fellasleep inthe front of the boat and let the wifes cousin drive. last day of Sept a long while back, seems the wind started gusting, waves rolling and AJ hit a sheet of ice that had broken from shore. I Wokeup underwater.

Swam a ways and encouraged the brothers to follow, swimming, bobing inthe 4 foot waves, and by some good chance, finally found some sand under my feet, and we walked the couple hundred yards to shore as the wind had picked up to 40+ mph, 20 above and COLD. Wrung out and started walking on glare ice, slipping, falling, blowing backwards. The frozen clothes actually made for good windproofing, but a miserable existance. 6 miles later we were inna cabin........

I figured out then, if it is NOT in your pocket or tied to you, you really aint got jack ****.

If you dont bring it, too bad, if you lose it, too bad, best learn to make due without, so when you have what you want, you'll really appreciate it all the much more........sleeping bags, fire making stuff, tent, dry clothes.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My bad dream turned into a reality when we forgot the pump for the inflatable Zodiak on a Kodiak fly-in bear hunt. Had to improvise with a contractor grade garbage bag...Attachment 58258

Tell me more about how you pumped up the zodiac with a contractor bag..or did you just blow up the bag and swim with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Tell me more about how you pumped up the zodiac with a contractor bag..or did you just blow up the bag and swim with it ?
    Several ways to do it. One method is to cut the corner off the bottom of the bag and tape it to the valve. Open the bag and get as much air inside as possible. Roll the top of the bag down and push the air through the corner, into the valve and into the boat. Takes forever and doesn't fully inflate the boat either.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    One things for sure, when other hunters see you hunting "naked" they tend to leave you alone and give you plenty of room!
    Too funny....I almost choked on my beer on that one...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I once fellasleep inthe front of the boat and let the wifes cousin drive. last day of Sept a long while back, seems the wind started gusting, waves rolling and AJ hit a sheet of ice that had broken from shore. I Wokeup underwater.

Swam a ways and encouraged the brothers to follow, swimming, bobing inthe 4 foot waves, and by some good chance, finally found some sand under my feet, and we walked the couple hundred yards to shore as the wind had picked up to 40+ mph, 20 above and COLD. Wrung out and started walking on glare ice, slipping, falling, blowing backwards. The frozen clothes actually made for good windproofing, but a miserable existance. 6 miles later we were inna cabin........

I figured out then, if it is NOT in your pocket or tied to you, you really aint got jack ****.

If you dont bring it, too bad, if you lose it, too bad, best learn to make due without, so when you have what you want, you'll really appreciate it all the much more........sleeping bags, fire making stuff, tent, dry clothes.......

Excellent post stranger...

I took a buddy duck hunting who had one of the new Remington 870s. Apparently Remington has a lock in the safety that comes with a key, so you can't pull the trigger. We rode out to the pond, set up the decoys, and waited for shooting time. It was about 2 minutes after when the first flock of birds came in, that he realized he forgot the key to his gun.

I took pity on him after a while and let him use my gun after I had shot 4 birds. I got my first Alaskan Canvasback that day.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

great...thanks stranger now I gotta figure out a way of gettin 40 pounds of crap in my pockets....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    great...thanks stranger now I gotta figure out a way of gettin 40 pounds of crap in my pockets....
    some folks just jave to put them on..........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wheeled my jeep well off the road to do some bunny hunting. Wondered around and bagged a few bunnies before heading back to the truck to head home. Reached into the pocket and produced nothing but a lint ball! 4 hours of kicking around thick grass and heavy alders no prayer of finding my keys in that. Walked to a spot where I could call the wife and a friend. About an hour later and a couple more calls finally I spot headlights in the distance as the 2 rigs approached. Wife brings me the spare key and I open the jeep up, hop in, turn key...cranks like crazy but doesn't fire! Turns out the spare key didn't have the special engine immobilization chip in it! We ended up towing it several miles out the coasting it another 5 miles down a side road to the main hwy. Luckily USAA covered the 60 mile tow to the jeep dealer in ANC to get new key made.

First time I hunted Kodiak I remembered my toothbrush right about the time the plane was out of sight. At the end of seven days I'm pretty sure I had a nice beard growing on my teeth, UCK! The last time I went I made darn sure I had a toothbrush, along with everything else on my CHECKLIST, I had made as a direct result of the forgotten toothbrush episode. After whacking a nice buck on the first morning I discovered, I had left all but one of my harvest tickets on the dashboard of my pickup, short hunt that one.
    When I was a kid I shot a buck with my muzzleloader, only to find out that I didn't have a knife, not even a pocketknife, NO KNIFE. Went and found Dad to borrow his, and he'd forgotten his on the bar at home next to mine. He did have his Case XX gentlemans folder, with a handy 1-1/2" blade, I got it done but always take at least 3 knives now and NEVER leave my bedroom without my pocketknife.
    Forgot my shotgun to go dove hunting once as a kid. Have forgot ammo on several occasions, usually having enough to get me through scattered around the nooks and crannies of my pickup. Forgot to take a full box of shotgun shells out of my daypack after duck hunting once, rediscovered them in Dallas TX, after I got off the plane having used that pack as a carryon, how me and TSA missed that one I'm not sure.
    Forgot my sleeping bag on a long weekend fishing trip a couple years back, luckily I had my dog and girlfriend in the tent with me. Forgot my matress several years in elk camp as a kid, luckily Dad, cousins, and uncles could be talked into parting with one layer of eggcrate foam each.
    Forgot my boots on a spring bear hunt a couple years back, hunted a week on slick riverbanks in my smooth bottomed Redwings, that was an adventure.

As you may have guessed I'm not the best planner, but I usually just get a good story out of the resulting misery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast